Don't buy gas on May 19th

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Gifted, May 17, 2004.

1. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Got this in e-mail, thought this ouwld be a good place to put it.

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES. AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.

THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT UP THEIR BEHIND" DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY. THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.

WAITING ON THIS ADMINISTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO? REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO! WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN. SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!"

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Dude, you know these things don't work. There'll be people who think it's a lost cause (like me) and buy anyway. And those who don't give a toss or those who just want fuel.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

I only buy gas every payday.
    It's 91 cents here in Canada, B.C.
    Thats fucking Nuts!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And thats just the low grade!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Then there are those who won't do it because they need fuel to work with, taxi drivers, bus lines, truckers, etc. etc..

8. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

... it's about $1.94 per gallon here in Florida.

9. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

In Ontario, we have some of the cheapest gas in the country but it's still 87 cents/L for the crap gas.

10. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

Gifted

You're missing the point. It's not like there is this endless supply of fuel, it comes down to supply and demand. A one day protest will not change that in the long run.

I live in Canada where we presently pay over 90 cents per litre for fuel and, because of that, I'm reminded we're relying on a non-renewable resource as if it were a renewable one.

If you're looking for an answer to high prices I got an idea, how bout' we all see this - higher fuel prices - as a warning to our flagrant and irresponsible consumption of energy [oil].

My suggestion would be: boycott SUV's, walk to work, utilize public transit, support renewable energy i.e. water/wind/solar power, recycle [plastic, a patroleum base product], car pool, etc etc.

There are so many fronts to this battle against high fuel prices, more than the typical 'protest' one you provide.

11. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Personally, I don't own a car, so I'm not buying gas anyway. I can see their point, I wish I had a source for this, I've seen a different estimate of the losses, so I'm not sure about how bad this would hit them. Something like a week would be more like it, and just the retail market share would give a good smack.

12. chunkylover58 Make it a ... CHEEEESEburger Registered Senior Member

13. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Rappacini, that's 91 cents per liter, which works out to $3.13 per gallon. That's almost double what you are paying, and we would love to have it at $0.50/L.

14. ChildOfTheMind So dark the con of man Registered Senior Member

Ya, things like that never seem to work...

15. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

Solution: Invest in the oil market. You'll feel much better when the price goes up. trust me.

16. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

You know why this never works... because people still need gas that day. The most you are going to accomplish is to have sales go up the next day because everybody is even lower on gas.

Now if you convince people not to drive on a certain day... that's a different story. (But I'll be out enjoying the empty road)

17. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

$1.89 here in south metro Atlanta, GA... I remember when I first moved here in 1999... we went from gas being about $1.20 where I lived to $0.69.. too bad that isn't today

18. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

it's 90 cents per LITER here, I only know the metric system so I could be wrong but I think there are 4 liters in a gallon. In other words, FUCKING OUTRAGEOUS prices.

19. chunkylover58 Make it a ... CHEEEESEburger Registered Senior Member

Same as it's always been for me....$10 worth. What's the cpmplaint? :bugeye:

20. vslayer Registered Senior Member

its 1.20 per litre here($1NZ = $0.62US)

21. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

jesus christ vslayer, are you serious?! Damn, suddenly I don't feel so bad.

22. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Supply and demand? My ass. Iraq is up to pre-Gulf War production levels and the costs are going up? Bush is an oil millionaire and he knows he's gonna be out of office soon, so he and his cronies are raking it in hand over fist while they can. Electric prices are rising every day too. Guess what business our vice-president is in? I'm glad I drive a Hyundai. It barely uses any gas.

Although that doesn't account for foreign oil prices, except that they would follow the lead of the American companies. Down with big oil!!!

23. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I can't believe you're moaing about those prices! Those are dirt cheap!

It's like 97p in the UK. That's about $1.71 per litre and it's still going up!