Don't buy gas on May 19th

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Gifted, May 17, 2004.

1. Johnny Bravo Registered Senior Member

$0.69 in 1999 Atlanta?!?

No way..Ive lived in and worked all around GA, all my life and it hasnt been under $0.80 since 1991. Unless your getting some of that Walmart gas at member discount...that seems way way way too low for that time.

I remember gas being $0.69 around 1989

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

fuck me, I had no idea how good we have it in north america. I always wondered why everyone had those tiny cars out in europe and the uk.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bachus Registered Senior Member

So we all have to fill up our tanks on the 18th and by doing so the oil companies have a huge turnover on the 18th? Or do you plan to ride anything without fuel?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

And this is per litre, not per gallon. And it's roughly 4.5 litres to every gallon.

Count yourselves lucky you North American...petrol...uisng...people (damn, where's a good insult when you need one)

8. Johnny Bravo Registered Senior Member

Why not just carpool and cut down on any driving that isnt nessesary?
    You can bet the US goverment knows when the sheep arent guzzling gas like they should.
    Rather than making some grand boycott that no one will act on anyway.

9. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

Thor,

A pound is something like $1.50 american right? I had to pay 90 cents ($1 canadian = roughly 68 cents US) per litre the other day and I almost pissed myself, I'd never heard of gas that expensive before. Christ, there'd be a riot here if we had to pay what you guys do, has gas always been that bad in the UK or is this just since gulf war part 1? How the hell do you heat your homes?

10. Bachus Registered Senior Member

Europeans use electricity and gas to heat our homes. And yes fuel has been expensive here since ever. Here in Holland the goverment takes the biggest part of the gasoline price even.

11. rainbow__princess_4 The Ashtray Girl Registered Senior Member

Yeah well in Sydney today I saw petrol at $107.0 a litre. That is a helluva lot coz its usual price is about 82c a litre. It's just an oil crisis, not buying it for one day won't help anyone.

12. rainbow__princess_4 The Ashtray Girl Registered Senior Member

perhaps with the petrol (take note of all the oil pumps america and the pacific including Australia & New Zealand have) but notice that you have shit everything else. Shit history. Shit people. Shit morals. Don't be proud of the petrol-guzzling. Perhaps you could stop using so much and give some to pathelic lil England?

13. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

proud? what the hell gave you that idea?

Wow, considering how angry and rude your response was, you tell me who's "shit". I'm from a country with only 25 million people spread out over the 2nd largest area of any nation on the planet (logistically, this is not easy and efficiency is nearly impossible). We're just trying to survive here, have you ever even been to Canada?

Like everyone (canada included), you think you understand other countries but until you actually live there for a while, you might consider keeping an open mind. Making an ass out of yourself by judging things you only know from tv, if that much, doesn't help you.

How did the discussion get to this anyway? Sorry for ranting, all I was trying to say was how lucky we are here to have affordable fuel, I didn't expect an ideological attack.

14. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Those are really high Thor, it´s 1.172 € here in Germany, that´s about 1,4 $ per litre. (just for normal gas)

15. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

I'm from the same country buffy... and I would agree that 'logistically' efficiency is nearly impossible but, forget about 'logistics' (transportation of goods) for a second and think of the efficiencies that can be had in other areas.

I recall gas being as low as .30c/l and as high as $1.90/l. .90c/l aint all that bad.

16. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

though, the prices you show are nowhere near what I've seen (in my life time anyway) where I live, your point is basically what I said in the last sentence of my previous post.

17. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

holy shit buffy... u ever sleep?

EDIT: the last sentence of my last post was not directed to anyone specific.

18. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

I hibernate during the winter.

19. chunkylover58 Make it a ... CHEEEESEburger Registered Senior Member

Probably be good if it continues this way, or even increases. Not that it would happen too terribly soon, but I'd love fot the government to start looking at alternative fuel resources like hydrogen and more hybrid vehicles. Less dependanct on foreign oil would be a nice result, of course. We would continue to purchase foreign oil or use our domestic stock for the products that require a petroleum base, but use alternative fuels for our vehicles. More widespread public transportation like electric trains and propane-fueled shuttle buses and the like would hlp tremendously.

I thnk with many Americans, laziness is definitely a factor. (Duh....what, 65% of us are overweight?) I post on a forum for Subaru drivers and a guy was on there one day asking advice about oil change intervals needing to be increased because he only drives 2 miles to and from school each day and he knows that's rough on the car so he should probably change the oil more frequently. I was thinking, "Dude! Would walking 2 miles to and from school each morning KILL you? If time is an issue, perhaps a bike? In a congested area with lots of cars, a bike might even be faster. Plus you don't have to worry about finding a parking place." Lazy bastard ...

20. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Gas banning? Heh........
    Need ideas, fast...

21. Psycho-Cannon Home grown and Psycho Registered Senior Member

i think the highest price in the UK at the moment is £1.60 a litre.
    Thats $2.83 a litre or $10.69 a gallon

I Pay £0.90 ($1.59) a litre or $6 a Gallon.

Fortunatly i ride a SV650S Motorbike and riding conservativly (3k Rev's) get about 150 miles out of my 1 gallon fuel tank before the fuel warning light on my bike comes up, i probably get another 20 miles out of that before i'm on my reserve tank then 20 miles on reserve so about 190 miles to the gallon.

22. Padma Spankologist Registered Senior Member

I just filled up w/ mid grade (89) and it was $2.32 per gallon (this is in Southern California, USA) Eeek!

23. zonabi free thinker Registered Senior Member

HERES THE REAL SOLUTION:

instead of "NOT BUYING GAS" this or that day, which never works, i propose this solution:

Everyone BOYCOTT EXXON AND MOBIL GAS STATIONS.
    BUY YOUR GAS FROM ANOTHER PLACE, such as CIRCLE K or Chevron
    (I reccomend Chevron, they've got Techron which helps the environment a little)

this would make the changes you all want.
    the 'dont buy gas today' plan NEVER works, it has been done a million times in the past year.

im telling you, this Proposal will work, more likely than anything else!
    firstly, you will not have to STOP buying gas or anything. everyone will still be able to commute, and lastly, the Oil Theives ( Big Dogs, the Oil Giants ) will choke on their own spit. its what they deserve.
    and i think using Techron will also help the environment, even if its just a little, every little bit counts.

so, if u want to show them they can't juke us around and inflate gas prices, then give THIS NEW PLAN a try, you really dont have anything to lose.

Boycott Exxon and Mobil Gas Stations, and go Elsewhere for gas.

have a nice day !