Don't buy gas on May 19th

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Gifted, May 17, 2004.

1. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

The people you should really appeal to are the drivers that deliver the petrol. It happened in the UK a few years back when we had a petrol shortage. Man was that a screwed up few weeks.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

In Europe, the governments have taken an advantage of our endless need for petroleum and other fuels. Youll find that it doesnt matter how much tax you whack on the fuel excise duty, people will still pay for it in droves because they need it. In Britain we've always been used to paying for expensive fuel so when they raise it a couple of pence noone usually notices as they are always putting it up. All main stream parties have similar policies on petrol excise duty so its not like we have a choice.

This anti-car government isnt helping matters by introducting Speed Cameras in stupid quantities, employing more traffic police to catch motorists and generally just to make us pay for as much things car related as huminally possible. They then put spin on it and say "Speed Cameras reduce accidents" and "traffic police are there for your safety and benefit". We know this isnt true as the (un-spun, un tampered with) statistics show that Speed cameras dont make a fuck of a difference to crash totals or make people drive safer. Speed Cameras are for gathering revenue and traffic cops are there to catch you when the speed cameras dont. They have even renamed 'Speed cameras' to 'Safety cameras' to make people think they are there for safety (an example of spin). Its accepted and is every day life. The fuel duty is just to make sure you pay extra tax (on top on the 100 quid road tax and taxed compulsory car insurance) for using the roads and to get the treasurary more revenue to spend on wars and loafers. The traffic police are just there to mainly milk the cash cow that is motoring, not to make sure the motorists are using legal/safe cars and being responsible. I certainly cannot see the illegality of driving fast on a motorway that has been designed to allow fast travel, where there are no pedestrians and a clear view of the road is given. The police are being used to execute an unpopular political agenda for the government and their respect has mostly erroded away making it a much harder job for the ordinary copper to carry out his real job, to catch criminals.

The official reason to all these unreasonable taxes are they want us to use public transport which will help the environment. The flaw in this is public transport is generally shit, trains and buses are slow, dirty, expensive, over crowded and unreliable so people still use their cars which is exactly what they are banking on.

That was abit of a rant but I think its all entirely relevant to taxed petrol as heavily taxed petrol is part of a bigger agenda in Britain and the agenda is 'grabbing as much money as possible'.

Cheers.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

Thor, do you realise that after that situation of fuel blockades the government made it a highly illegal thing to carry out now? Well they did and it wont be happening again in Britain but I recommend every other country does it as it must be a very affective thing to do.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

To sum up Captain Crunch's rant in a few words...living in the UK sucks and it's expensive. And we can't change it. Some democracy we live in

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And Captain is absolutly correct by the way. The main reason I walk everywhere is because it's expensive getting from A to B any other way.

And don't get me started on how good you Americans actually have it!

8. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

gas was .98/gal the year i graduated from high school. the yearbook has this photospread commemorating the year and there's always a shot of a gas pump so you can look back at what things were like then. 98 cents/gallon. today they changed the price on the pump in yonkers, gas is 2.22/gallon.

i'm sure it's already been said, but walk and take the bus or train. public trans still uses energy but it moves many people on the same amount of it. walking is good for you and doesn't need gas. i've added an extra half hour of exercise everyday just by walking down to the bus stop instead of transferring buses. no gym membership required.

9. zonabi free thinker Registered Senior Member

they inflate the prices to TEST what the citizens will do, if they will buckle and continue to buy it, out of need. or if they will revolt. (which they have found out that no one will revolt, most will buckle and give in)

thats why i propose my solution posted here on the bottom of page 2 of this thread. please read it.

its called economical shock testing. they inflate the price of a certain item (usually a neccesity) to plot the economy's response, in addition to household responses as well. with this form of testing they are able to calculate our actions based on previous reactions to their tests. with this knowledge they continue to control our lives in the most sublte of ways....

open your eyes.

10. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

I was wondering about that too, the canadian gov't taxes the hell out of gas, alcohol and cigarettes and it doesn't bother me too much because we could do with a little less consumption of all of those things. But, does it really affect usage when prices go up or do we all just end up a little bit poorer every month?

Actually, I guess I should be asking our UK friends. Has there been a noticeable reduction or conservation of fuel over there since the prices have skyrocketed?

11. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

In reply to buffys recent question: No, there has not. Increasing petrol prices are the norm here so we just bend over and take it. People need petrol so people are willing to pay for the petrol and in turn the government are willing to up the price.

12. Preacher_X Registered Senior Member

the US seriously expoits Arab countries and loots a lot of the money that the Arabs whould be me making.

yearly the US makes $1 TRILLION on foreign oil.

America has stoped exploiting as much as it did before the 1973 oil crisis but they are still doing it.

before 1973 the a barrel of oil was about $5 - America made about $4.30 and the oil coutries only 70 cents.

and anotherm thing that one day thing wont do JACK SHIT, it has to be continued for a number of weeks for it to work otherwise it will be AMericans who suffer.

and anyway one day of porfit less isnt gonna do much, if anything next days profit will be even higher as a result.

like i said you would have to do it for weeks, months for it to have any sort of imapct

13. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

No, no, no and no. I cannot just sit by and watch the english language be butchered this way.

Preacher X, please, oh please go here www.dictionary.com

14. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

would it kill to proof read a post?

15. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

I think preacher... might be drunk.

16. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I think you may be right...I actually think I am too, better lay off the barcardis....barcardii...what the hell is the plural?

17. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

wow.. it's about $1 here... and that's because the prices have gone up 4% since the beginning of the year when each company was aloud to sell it at whichever price they wished...

18. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

That's dirt cheap! Explain more about this "allowed to sell at whatever price" thing. They couldn't before?

19. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

The plural of bacardii? Now 'that' is the most difficult question to answer, for sooo many reasons on sooo many levels....

Hey, just enjoy my friend.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

Yup, glad I have a scooter. A full tank = less that $5 to fill.

21. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

It's barcardi...so I assume the plural is Barcardii...but the peasentry insist on calling it Barcadis.

I think I enjoyed it too much.

22. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

good point nebula, I can only blame myself for buying a jeep. Off road! Top down! Look cool! god I was an idiot.

23. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

what would be the adjective? bacardiid?