Don't buy gas on May 19th

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Gifted, May 17, 2004.

1. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

that's right.
    and in Spain it's cheaper, which is why the Portuguese are furious...

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

bacardiied, bacared?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

buffys- I think that the people in the US should follow us europeans and get smaller, ecologically friendly cars. Do you call them Geos or something?

fireguy- I have no idea...I prefered it as a singular

jaded- Why couldn't they?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

neb...

I'm not in the same class with respect to fuel efficiency as you but, 1,100 km/50l tank is what i get - not to mention the inherant lower price of diesel. I'm not complaining.

8. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

Thor - because the govmt controlled it..............

9. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

we (in N. America) did exactly that during the gas crisis in the seventies, as soon as prices fell we went back to the monsters. There really is a "road trip", "car culture", "freedom of the road" thing that is really deep seeded here. It's born into us. I think it has a lot to do with the sheer size of our countries.

10. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

probably pronounced like, 'b'carrrred' at that point.

11. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Jaded- Why? More details!

buf- Then shoot all these teens who go on road trips!! It's that simple! Seriously, the US needs to think about how much oil it's using. We only have a few years left!

fire- Baccerd...barcarded...barcardied...that one sounds good

12. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

I agree, but do you think it'd be much different in the UK if gas was as cheap there? I guess my point is people tend to need a serious kick in the ass to change the status quo.

13. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

What people need is a scare, something to make them wake up and smell that the bacon is actually burnt. People don't seem to care that oil reserves will run dry in the near future and just seem to use gas for whatever. Even going to the shops that are a few minutes walk away.

WHEN WILL YOU PEOPLE LEARN!

14. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

"you people"

aside from changes forced on you by outrageous prices I don't see much progression to a solution in your end of the world either. At least nothing more than superficial stuff, like everywhere else.

15. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

Sorry Thor, gotta side with buffy on this one - no need for the phrase 'you people'.

16. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

c'mon jaded, out with it. I'm really curious now.

17. Eddie Registered Senior Member

I cut about 30,000 miles per year and an hour a day off my commute by taking a job closer to home beginning about two years ago. It's a good thing I did, because just about then, the cost of natural gas (used to heat and cool homes in my area) started to rise and has now quadrupled.

18. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i just converted my money into $US, i works out at $8.70 per gallon, $1.93 per litre

19. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I just saw a report on the news that said SUV sales are down. I'm sure they'll go back up when the prices stabilize (if they stabilize).

The thing you have to understand about the US (and Canada, Australia, etc... IMO) is that we have a lot of wide open space. I've never been to Europe myself, but I've heard that it's extremely crowded. I'm sure you have your wild areas as well (somewhat) but we've got excess. There is a lot of room on the roads (well some roads at some times of day) for more drivers. I've heard that in Europe it's extremely hard to get a drivers license even. The tests here in the US (not sure about the others) are extremely easy. You have to be a retard to fail a US drivers test. Either that or be a total clutz behind the wheel. They discourage drivers in Europe, encourage drivers here.

I've always wondered if this concept also had to do with high prices of gas in Europe. I remember a few years back seeing that Europe was going on strike or something because gas prices were so high. That was my first knowledge of the extreme price you have to pay. I've often wondered about it since then. I'm sure it has something to do with all the oil the US has, but Britain has a lot of oil from the North Sea, don't they? Not as much as the US, but their population is a lot less as well. Are prices in Britain lower than mainland Europe? How much oil does any other European countries produce per capita? I'm sure someone's gathered all this information together somewhere.

There is a lot of scuttlebutt that the gas crisis in the 70's was manufactured. A guy I know who lived in New Jersey in the 70's told me that there were oil tankers lined up at the docks that weren't being allowed to unload. I've never done any research on this myself, so am not sure how reasonable this particular conspiracy theory is. But it's not the only time such a thing has occurred.

Take the recent electric crisis in California. That was a completely contrived situation. California deregulated it's power system and the sharks moved in. They shut down power plants and lowered the output of others. Demanded more power from an agreement they had with Washington state. And screwed everybody. Rolling brownouts in California. Increased electric rates in Washington (I imagine it's the same in California too). The bloodsuckers who drained the system dry split town and the people suffered. Funny how the vice-president of the country made his money in the power business. And, might I add, one of the most active vice-presidents in US history (that I know of anyway).

I think it's possible that it might be necessary though. Europe's policy (maybe) of raising gas prices to discourage wastefulness might be necessary to make people conserve fuel. SUV's are a sore spot in this movement, because they're specifically designed to get around fuel economy and pollution laws. I just hope that it doesn't get to the point of the European price. The prices I've seen in this thread are outrageous. I would like to see some actual factual links to why gas costs what it does.

I also dread such such raises in gas prices because it is sure that everything else will go up right along with it. Capitalism does have it's downside.

Face it, folks. Americans just like things big. It reminds me of a joke.

There's a Texan in the waiting room of a hospital handing out cigars, bragging about his new-born 14 lb. baby. A couple of weeks later, one of the recipients ran into the Texan and asked about the health of his baby. The Texan said, "He's doing great! 10 lbs. 8 oz." The guy says, "I thought you said he was 14 lbs.?" The Texan says, "I did, but since then we've had him circumcised." *drumroll*

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

edit: On a side note, did you know that you can't pump your own gas in Oregon? What weirdo's...

20. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Zonabi:

Why just Exxon and Mobile? I get my gas from AM/PM which I'm pretty sure is Arco. Cheapest gas in town. Plus they got cheap soyburgers... Reminds me of school. Funny how nostalgia works sometimes.

21. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

so CONFESS YE MORTALS!!!

Who bought gas?

Oh, and I thought I should explain;

"it's about $1 here..."

is to the Litre... not the Gallon
    (1G = +/- 5L)

22. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

1 gallon is 4.5 litres jaded. So the yanks are paying peanuts for gallons while we're paying monstrous prices for litres...

23. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

yeah well, they produce it...