Don't buy gas on May 19th

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Gifted, May 17, 2004.

1. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

They don't produce a lot of what they use. They use a lot from the middle east. And the UK is paying loads because of damned taxes. The people in the UK are taxed for every bloody thing, even to work! It's ridiculous and I'm sick of the government taking our money and doing the opposite of what we want...the bastards.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

taxed to work???
    how does that work?

I tend to think that gas and cig. prices should be doubled... that way taxes could be lowered... but that's cause I don't drive and often forget how raising the gas prices makes eeeeeverything rise. Damned be it.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

If you double gas prices here you WILL have riots on your hand. Double it everywhere but here. We even have, so I've heard, the most expensive commercially purchased cars in the world. People got to Europe to buy them at half the price.

And taxed to work, it's called income tax. The government takes a percentage of what you earn. On top of that we pay tax on everything we buy and use. Who said living here was free was an idiot.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lemming3k Insanity Gone Mad Registered Senior Member

We do earn a bit more compared to the americans, although their house prices are half ours and wallmart make their purchases for everything cheap, to be fair we do have the NHS(as crap as it is) whereas americans have to pay for all health treatment.

8. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

That's not taxed to work!! That's taxed to earn. It's worse...

Basically, if you do "voluntary" work, and your "boss" decides to "offer you money" and you never put it in the bank, you're okay... =P

I mean, sheesh, I'm 16 and I already have 2 bank accounts and pay taxes...!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Same difference really. Here's why...

That is actually illegal in this country as it is basically tax evasion and they're cracking down on it quite heavily I might add.

The yanks get it so much better yet they bitch about it all. In the UK (said this many times before) you can buy a 3 bedroom council house for like £120,000. This is a lot for what it's offering. Take that money to the states and you are laughing. You can buy very big houses with that. So basically the poor in the UK could be stining rich in the states. And I'd rather pay for health care then catch one of those superbugs going around.

Edit to add: THIS COUNTRY PISSES ME OFF SO MUCH!

10. Lemming3k Insanity Gone Mad Registered Senior Member

Yes and cash in hand work is very popular as it can avoid tax by not declaring all you earn, but if your found out its fraud for not declaring you got money for doing a job.

11. Epox to strive..to seek...to find Registered Senior Member

Slight exaggeration? - 97p is a bit high as the petrol stations round by me are about 80-82p per litre.

Which is about $1.16 is my Nokia Converter on my phone is correct

I'ts still a freakin joke.

12. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

No exaggerations here Epox. 97p is the average here in the south of england I'm afraid. And $1.16, are you sure? Last I checked it was roughly $1.70 to every pound.

13. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

people, I was kidding.. I know it's tax fraud

sheesh...

14. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

This May 19 thing would never work. The prices for gasoline go up because the prices of oil goes up. The producers of gasoline need to buy oil to produce gasoline, so they increase the price so that we can pay for them. If we don't buy gasoline, the demand goes down and they have excess supply. Gasoline doesn't last very long. I think it last something like 3 days. So if we would manage not to buy it for a couple of days they would probably lower the prices so that we can buy their surplus. However, after we buy it, the prices would increase even more to adjust to the previous decrease in price. So, in the end, it wouldn't work at all.

This is a similar effect of floor prices...

Can anyone second me on that? I'm not sure if my reasoning is correct (as I'm applying something that I learn to something similar...)

15. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

there's actually an investigation going on in canada about gas prices (then again they seem to study this every couple years and can never prove anything). The up and down of gas prices doesn't seem to coencide with prices from the producers, it seems almost arbitrary.

I guess the gas companies just have better lawyers because no accusations ever stick.

16. Epox to strive..to seek...to find Registered Senior Member

Holy crap! - I stand corrected! - I thought 80-odd pence here in Birmingham was bad!

Looks like my Nokia Phone converter is having a bad day huh...?

17. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Ack, a Brommie! He's from Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirmingham don't you know. I kid, I kid.

Yeah, it's bad. But it's not as bas as it has been. I remember last year there was a month or so where it was over a £1 for a litre. Tsk tsk.

And I'm not sure about the conversion, I only checked like Monday evening but I don't think it would've gone down that much so soon.

18. Epox to strive..to seek...to find Registered Senior Member

Heh heh - yet i'm originally from Bedford!

19. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

to report in i think its around $2.09 here in the motor city. lol.

i think the gasless days are pointless, everyone just buys it the day before. lol. kinda loses the point.

but i do have a question. i know VEWWWY little on the subject, so ill let yall debate, but is it true that we ship out from alsaka the same amount that we ship in?

20. Epox to strive..to seek...to find Registered Senior Member

No doubt it may lead to another fuel strike here in the UK with no petrol being delivered at all to stations.

It was total chaos last time it happened and cripped most businesses and peoples daily routines.

21. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Governments are evil. We should all overthrow our governments.
    Privatiiiiiiiiiiiiiiize!!!!

Nahh... just kidding. I don't think healthcare should be privatized. Transportation, on the other hand, should.

22. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Oh but healthcare is privatized last time I looked. At least here in Germany, the government thinks too much money is spend on it. Resulting from that they try to hand it over to private corporations. :bugeye:

23. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

truthseeker,

I just read a study that shows canada is tied for #1 in spending on healthcare and we're at the lower middle in care provided. The countries at the top of the list are partially privatized and partially gov't funded. I used to say "HELL NO!" to any form of privatization but I was really shocked by the stats, we keep throwing more and more money in and the waiting lists get longer and longer.