Download SETI@home

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by DaveW, May 18, 1999.

1. DaveW Guest

Hey,

You can use your computer's idle processor time to help the search for extraterrestrial life!

Simply <A HREF="http://exosci.com/news/155.html">download the client software</A>, and your computer will analyze SETI data for signs of extraterrestrial intelligence.

YOU could be the one to find the evidence that has evaded science thus far!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. gar Guest

Hi Dave
    I don't belive that any intelligent life forms will ever be found by us , too vast a universe but I just downloaded the Seti@home program , what the hell it can't hurt and maybe some day if I am proven wrong , at least I will have helped , thanks for the information and for the promising site .
    Jerry

[This message has been edited by gar (edited May 18, 1999).]

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. milkman Guest

Hopefully with all of us working together with our distributed computing power we can make a difference and discover intelligent signals other than our own. I used to participate in a similar project called "RC5". Many computers working together to break encryption.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveW Guest

And since SETI@home only operates when your computer is idle, you're using computer time that would be otherwise wasted. Even if the search is futile, the question of extraterrestrial life is still a scientifically valid one.

8. gar Guest

Dave ,
    I don't question the probability of life being spread all over the universe , it surely must be ,however the chances of ever finding it , in my humble opinion are next to impossible but yes the search is worthwhile , it is something that we must do because we are what we are .
    Jerry

9. DaveW Guest

Gar,
    One of the things SETI is trying to determine is just that...

What is the probability of life in the universe?

We cannot just dismiss it as improbable, as we have no evidence either way.