Download the BeOS Demo video from here :-)

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by H-kon, Oct 8, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boris Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Thanks guys, I didn't know about the sysopt site. It's now on my bookmarks.

DaveW:
    I am not aware of any processor-imposed limitations on SMP. It is true that certain CPUs actually implement SMP functions, but such integration is not crucial. For example, here's an excerpt from the sysopt page:
    This sounds a great deal like SMP is motherboard-dependent, not CPU-dependent. Naturally, whatever SMP functions are not implemented by a CPU in question, would have to be provided through the chipset.

Also, I don't consider dual configurations all that exciting. If you are going to lay out additional circuits, you might as well go all the way. The more processors, the greater is the economy of scale. I agree that Intel is probably making a strategic blunder in ignoring non-corporate SMP; if some company makes a serious foray into this, they will probably launch the next revolution in performance and grow at fantastic rates. Plus, bundling multiple cheap CPUs into one box might be a very handy way to handle the extremely low profit margins. Plus, just imagine the ad campaigns!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

------------------
    I am; therefore I think.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Vanden Registered Member

Celeron CPU's *are* SMP enabled. They have almost identical instruction sets to the Pentium II, and this is definitely SMP enabled. Intel doesn't support the Celerons in an SMP configuration because it loses them money, but they are definitely capable of it without any modification to the CPU.

If anyone wants to a try a dual Celeron system, check out the Abit BP6 motherboard. It is a dual Socket 370 mobo that requires no slockets to work. It's also got ATA66 onboard, so if you've got one of these drives it frees up the PCI slot your controller is occupying.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. H-kon Registered Senior Member

As far as SMP and BeOS go. BeOS utilizes about 95%+ of the second chip, while Linux might get 70% if you are a knowledgable tweaker. I don't know about NT for sure, but i have read no reports of anyone getting 75% with NT on a dual machine.

I have ordered my ABit BP6 motherboard, and with two 366Mhz Guaranteed 550Mhz Celerons( allready setup for me with a 3 year warranty) at www.pcnut.com which cost me about $340,- shipping included( unmodified dual 366's are $250,- at pricewatch.com these days.

My new rig should arrive next week

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Oh. And a rumoured next release of BeOS around Comdex. Life is sweet!

Get games ( they are coming) and a decent browser. Be will take off. Windows is allreay gone from my machine, and the software i used are given away to happy new owners..

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.