Downloading YouTube Videos

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Bowser, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

So I'm shipping a cigar box guitar to my wife's nephew, and there are some instructional videos on YouTube that I want to burn to DVD, but I don't know how to download them onto my computer. I'm guessing there is an easy way to do so, yet I haven't clue.

Does anybody know how it's done? I'm hoping that it won't require me downloading freeware or some other program. I would like to do it with just what I have on board.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

If you're using Firefox, there's an add-on for that very purpose. I imagine Chrome has something similar..

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mathman Valued Senior Member

I use "YTD Downloader" available from CNET.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's Video DownloadHelper for Firefox.

8. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Thanks for your replies. I opted to write an HTML document and embed the videos on the page. When he loads the CD the HTML document pops up along with the YouTube videos. It turned out much easier than trying to download and burn a bunch of videos. Thanks again.

9. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I use a free download program. "Download Acelerator Plus" (DAP) and works great for Youtube and many more sites.

It is so simple, open DAP, play the video on site, copy the addy, and click "download video, or "download MP3" (for music) on DAP and paste the addy to the space provided. This download is then stored in a seperate file named DAP Downloads.

From there you can play or move the file to a specific file. Downloads usually take no more than 1 minute, even for large files.

http://www.speedbit.com/DAP/
    ( One caution, do not activate the Speedbit search engine, I have had probs with that)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  10. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I've learned from past experience regarding free apps. The only ones I trust in general are open source.

11. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Well, Ive been using it for 10 years and downloaded thousands of videos and music (tunes and albums) with absolutely no problems.

This is not an app., it is a fullfledged program with 2 options. The free version will do all the fundamental functions of downloading and storing. The upgrade, (which costs money) gives additional options such as editing and a few more specialized functions. But the basic program works flawlessly. If you have checked their website, you will see this is not Freeware. This is a large legitimate company, with an excellent reputation.

Here is one example I downloaded with Dap and sits now in my own science library:

But if you want to download just a legible still picture You can just pause the video, take a screen shot and copy that to a paint (graphics) program.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  12. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I gave it a look (Website). It looks interesting. But having already resolved the issue with an alternative to downloading, I don't think I will be needing it. But I've bookmarked the site should a need ever arise. Thank you for your contribution.

13. Write4U Valued Senior Member

UVW,
    It has worked flawlessly for many years and I can recommend it to all.

14. DNA100 Registered Senior Member

Well, I know of 3 ways to do this:

1 is to use a browser add-on (such as VDH in firefox, as mentioned earlier by someone)

2 is to use free download manager/grabber software( Such as DAP, as mentioned by someone).

3 is by using online video downloading websites (such as clipconverter).

15. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member