Dreams

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Nobody, Oct 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. river

dreams are the dwelling of the subconsciousness

to put things of experience together

anything

some remember more dreams than others

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ripley Valued Senior Member

Anything sounds a bit too haphazard.

There's definitely a preference for certain symbolism particular to the individual involved. Why, say, would I dream of a little monster in flames, while somebody else would dream of a little orange cat?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

I was trying to diet, and struggling...just really frustrated about my seeming inability at the time to lose weight.

I dreamed of this little brown woman, running around and pooping giant piles of turds on all the chairs in the house while I was trying to catch her and clean up the poop.
    And the whole time she was shouting "I'll make you eat $hit! I'll make you eat $hit! MMM, isn't it GOOOD!":bugeye:

(...I should explain I worked in a nursing home for four months, wiping the butts of alzheimer's patients, and this is an exaggeration of what a couple of them did-ran around pooping on things...or throwing it..)

The one dream incident that annoys me? I dream my alarm clock is going off...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

This happens especially when I'm worried about being late somewhere.
    I also have dreams about being late to work, not being in uniform, forgetting when I have to be there, regularly. Yes, I dream I'm walking in the building in underwear. Why I feel that insecure about my job I don't know.

As a child, I had recurrent nightmares that I woke up screaming from nightly...Actually, all the way up until I was in my late teens. I was afraid to sleep then, I'm kind of afraid to sleep off and on now, although I don't generally wake up screaming. Only woke up punching twice. Both times I dreamed my dad was attacking me.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I had a weird one last night...I was reporter on my first assignment. I was supposed to get on Air Force One, and interview the President. I get dropped off at the airport, and frantically try to find the concourse to get on the plane. Running all over the place. At one point, I stopped in a bathroom to take a leak, and when I came out, I was no longer on a concourse, but on board a plane, taxiing away from the terminal. I ask a flight attendant where the plane going, and she told me Baltimore. "I can't go to Balitmore! I'm supposed to be on Air Force One!" I cried. Apparently, they took pity on me, and somehow landed the plane in downtown Dallas and dropped me off. I call my mom, and ask her to pick me up, and take me back to the airport...all the while telling everyone "I'm a reporter on my first assignment, and I'm supposed to be on Air Force One!"

Then I woke up...I guess I never made it to the interview.

8. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Do you worry a lot that you're going to screw up major opportunities when they come along?

9. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Actually, it follows a re-occuring theme in my dreams. Where I'm supposed to be somewhere, but get lost, and spend the whole dream trying to get back to where I'm supposed to be. I've had quite a few dreams that follow this formula in the last few years.

10. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Hmm, I have that too...Also feel that way about my life.

Therefore I guess the recurrent theme makes sense, no?

11. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Sometimes is brain vomit (last night had a carryover dream from a day event - asked someone out and they simply said ok...in my dream the same event but they forgot to hang up or something and I heard her say to her friend...oh yes the stud asked me out - lol I know my dreams right???)

Other times, there is absolutely no explanation, it is NOT brain vomit, it is surreal real, ya that doesn't make sense right, but it does...

12. wellwisher Banned Banned

Dreams use a collective human language called symbols. Like any language, if you don't know it, even useful information will sound like gibberish. But one you become proficient, then even subtle meaning becomes easier to see.

If you look at subliminal osmosis of data, the unconscious can pick up more data than the conscious mind. This can be demonstrated with hypnosis. The unconscious aspect of the brain has more processing power. The unconscios is also the source of dreams, which are assumed by those without the proper language skills, be mostly gibberish.

There is a reason for this. There is a barrier between conscious and unconscious that took centuries to set up. Too much tampering can breech the wall. It is better to discount what still filters through when the will is low.

13. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Supposition.

Link please.

14. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

That seems a bit silly, WW.
    Although I observe psychotic people seem to think in symbols, as if the dream state and the waking state have pancaked down on each other.

15. wellwisher Banned Banned

Dream symbols are collective, but not in the way you might assume based on the rules of cultural language. A female character in a male's dream would be the basis for the symbol, rather than a particular female. In cultural language, each female might have a certain name. But this is not important in symbolism.

Each male may see a diffenent female in a dream, but they all mean the same. Secondary attributes would give more information about the content of this symbol. This could be colors, age, size, natural/blinged, etc. this tells us about the particular brain firmware that is adjusting potential.

Jung called this archetypes of the collective unconscious. I call it firmware since this better describes the phenomena based on computer analogies. It is part the physical brain like hardware due to DNA, but learns and develops like software. Firmware is sort of in the middle.

If you ever had a nightmare, this is what touching the wall feels like. It is a warning not to go any further. But you can still collect data up to that point with few side effects. Science lacks data near the wall but I could show you how to touc it if you wish. It will take about 1-2 years, since there will be an instinctive resistance.

16. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Evidence please.
    Further unsupported claims do NOT substantiate earlier unsupported claims.

Of course you could.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. wellwisher Banned Banned

You need to do research on your own since I cant tutor you in this. But what type of evidence would you need so I know you at least understand.

18. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

19. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

The slight problem here is that I already have done "research" on this. I've been through an education. I've studied psychology.
    You, on the other hand, appear to be inventing your own nonsense.

I want something that shows you're not making it all up and that what you claim has validity.

What I want is you stop making claims that you fail, consistently, to substantiate.

20. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

The subconscious creating situations to better prepare ourself in real life situation is speculative and not known.

21. Thdaoub Guest

Dream means that we sleep not that well, right?

22. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Riply!
    Because you're flamboyant.

Being that an ego is little more than accumulation, mind is a history of everything you've cannibalized and bears the mark of your digestion.

For example: Paris Hilton, a dumb block of soap, perceives a dotted wall as a white wall pocked with dots.

You, a more creative, lively person perceive in that that dotted wall a giant Dalmatian eating cauliflower with its fins.

The chaos lies in the nonsense of the image, but its order manifests itself through your personality.
    (anyway, Greetings)

Wellwisher:
    He also had recurring dreams of a terrifying scrotum in his cellar.

This makes him worth quoting?

Anyway, interpret my dream.

23. Ripley Valued Senior Member

Gendanken: The chaos lies in the nonsense of the image, but its order manifests itself through your personality.

But the chaos was so alive. I read somewhere that fire, an ancient symbol or archetype, represents renewal. And that little creature in my dream, if I were to stretch the reading of it to the extreme, could have been the little orange fluffy kitten I was to find later on, and who would be the cause of much much change in my life.

Anyway, it's wonderful to hear from you again, Gendanken.

edit: later: Aha. I see what you mean. The brain throws all these ingredients at itself (throws-up) and the self, or the personality, makes a brand new dish out of it all. Weird; putting order to chaos. Or, like a short order cook.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.