Drop the Bible and step away slowly

Discussion in 'World Events' started by GeoffP, Dec 21, 2006.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

What an interesting post, Zephyr. Sort of does cast light on things, doesn't it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

I think Borat should play a role where he's a Jew who's trying to become a citizen of Iran, failing that, he goes to Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Somalia, and finally, to France, where he's also turned down.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sci-Phenomena Reality is in the Minds Eye Registered Senior Member

Ah-ha! Borat the actor should be hanged. He is a god-damned fool, if I saw the man in person I'd want to start some kind of unworthy American-political-correctness-type lawsuit. Fuck Borat.

On the Bible, I will first ask if you've seen Jesus, or if you've seen a magical mystical outcome from some "true" priesthood, or if you've ever seen the red sea split.... but the only thing that splits when you read the bible is your common sense.

Has anyone heard the song Opiate by Tool? Anyone? Going once, going twice....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

I had a rather unique experience when I was born again, thanks for asking.

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

The issue, Sci-Phe, is whether or not religious freedom is a good thing. I opine, far as I am from it, that it is.

9. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

I might have to agree with you on that one...I'm told it's a good story. Notice the word "story".

10. vincent Sir Vincent, knighted by HM Registered Senior Member

I find it quite hilarious we are all supposed to be more tolerant of muslims, yet when it comes to them being tolerant of us it is non existant, i mean banning the bible or any other religous book other than koran, just what are they afraid off, it all stinks of some religous sect like the moonies total control.

Our foreign ofice say dont take the bible, how about our foreign office telling them not to take there koran to our country, but thats a big no no, we are all politically correct, where as they dont give a fuck about our religon or upsetting us.

11. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

A really sad thing about Islam is that when one converts to Christianity from Islam, the Koran says that it's alright to kill that person, nice religion of peace.

12. vincent Sir Vincent, knighted by HM Registered Senior Member

I did not know that, but nothing suprises me about islam, but it does make you wonder why our politicians are so quick to defend islam when such things are written in the koran, only a complete madman would write such crap, its all about oil, if there was no oil, i am sure our politicians would have told islam to piss off along time ago, but as long as we breast feed oil we will continue to cow tow to these absolute religous nuts.

13. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

As far as I know it was a political thing back in the days when religion = allegiance. Most Muslims don't subscribe to the whole beheading thing anymore.

Vince, have you ever been to Malaysia?

14. vincent Sir Vincent, knighted by HM Registered Senior Member

I live in thailand & it borders malaysia, but no i have not been there all though i have been to laos & singapore many times, the reason i dont go to malaysia is simple, the thai muslim population live near the malaysia border, there have been over a 1000 bombs in the last year set off on the thai side this last year, there are also daily beheadings there too, only yesterday some thai buddist got beheaded & another 2 buddhists where shot with notes attacked to there bodies saying all buddists will be killed.

Hence my reluctance to go any where near the place, & i am fully aware of the madness going on in malaysia too, muslims being arrested for trying to change there religon, as well as state schools teaching hatred about the west, though they say they are stopping this, but i cant help but wonder why it was allowed to go on in the first place, teaching kids hatred is just beyound contempt.

15. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Is that the source of your opinion on Muslims then?

It sounds like a bad situation that needs to change, but I've met some people from Malaysia online who were regular friendly people. I wouldn't want to judge the whole country based on their government's actions.

16. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Then why don't they change their government?

17. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

They are, some of them. It's not an easy process, especially when there's little press freedom.

18. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Hell, I hope not. But of the muslims I've debated on line, there's always a lot of talk about "loyalty" and the "requirements of citizenship" and "fifth columns" and somesuch. So...there may not be subscription, but there are a lot of people out there that know where to find the magazine rack, and they seem to feel they have reasons for perusing it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  19. Busy Banned Banned

At first when I saw the title I thought this is about Athiests vs Christians.

20. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Actually it's reported in the hadiths of al-Buhkari, which are considered canonical. Also in al-Daoud, I think, and al-Muslim.

21. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

That's an admirably clear-headed and reasonable observation on your part, Geoff: Hate-speech such as deadly threats upon all infidels and apostates is hardly mainstream in contemporary Islam. Such provocative garbage spews instead from the fringes.

22. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Er...did you miss the part where I mentioned that the hadiths of al-Buhkari are considered canonical? As in: core. Critical. Central. Reliable. The...repercussions of such hadiths on non-muslims and apostates are quite readily observable, as in the recent case of the apostate in Pakistan. Whose death sentence was handed down by the government, not some local council of slack-jawed boobs in the boonies. Sooo...not really "fringe". More, sort of "societal". "Legal". "Official".

Hypey, I'm all for relegating such theological drivel to the mainstream. The problem is that the extremists - that tiny, tiny majority - have what appears to be a quite authentic and unmitigated version of islam in their hands, the like of which is not reflected in a comprehensive moderate interpretation in the home of islam, the ummah; of course, I am certain that that vast majority of moderates will rise up every day and overthrow the nexus of a system that discriminates against religious minorities, homosexuals and humans with vaginas.

Yup.

Any day now.

Best,

Geoff

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  23. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

The fringe is easy to marginalize, except when idiots like you are supporting have the helm.