Earths Magnetic Feilds changing?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Duffy72, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Originally posted by Dwayne D.L.Rabon
    actually the comments that i hear alot of the time are from people that could not htink for them selves, i notice that they for some one to give them their every thought, plainly they fail, personally i give what i can
    If you want anyone to believe your ideas you must be consistent and explain yourself reather then jump to conclusions.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

I love when newbies spend their first couple of posts scolding active, scientifically educated members about laughing at crackpots -- only to realize several posts later how dumb that was.

Here's an idea for you (it's part of standard netiquette): when you first enter a discussion group, LURK FOR A WHILE, and see how things work. When you're comfortable that you understand why people say the things they do, you're ready to contribute -- but not before.

- Warren

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NileQueen Registered Senior Member

Andre
    Why don't they show that excursion on the chart at http://www.geo.arizona.edu/palynology/geos462/12paleomag.html
    I see my note on Lachamps now.
    Do you have a better chart? And what about the Blake excursion?
    Yes something about Australia

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MRC_Hans Skeptic Registered Senior Member

WOW! I have been gone for months, and find Dwayne still rambling along. And still as incoherent as ever.

Hans

8. zechaeriah Registered Senior Member

i agree. and i asked Dwayne to cite some sources in his post a couple pages back and never got an answer. it's hard to take someone seriously when they don't back up their claims.

however, i'm glad this topic is being discussed here. i wish there were more scientific discussion about it instead of just random "facts" being tossed around.

9. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

I was talking to a guy in a pub tonight (yes yes, i know) and he siad there was likely some minor effects on the weather with the altering of the magnetic field of the erath, since a lot of the activity in the atmosphere eg thunderclouds, is charge related. he wasnt predicting massive storms or anything, jsut more perturbations of the sort that make the whole system more chaotic and thus messier. Anyone heard any more about that?

10. MRC_Hans Skeptic Registered Senior Member

No reason to put it upside down. Just turn it 90 dregrees. No, a modern TV set is not perceptibly influenced by Earth's magnetic field, which IS a very weak field compared to the fields used to create a TV picture. Saying a field is weak is a little too simple, though. Eart's magnetic field is enormous, and the total strength of it is fabulous. However, it is so thinly distributed that its density in any given spot is very low.

A pole reversal, which may or may not be upcoming, is very sudden on the geological scale, which means that it only takes a few centuries. It may have some influence on the climate as particles from the Sun influence the climate, and they are influenced by the magnetic field. There is no indication in the geological record that pole reversals are connected to major climatic events, however.

About Dwayne: I have taken the trouble to wade through several of his posts. They are interesting as an example on how scrambled the human mind can become, but they do not contain useful facts. What facts that have happened to find their way into the mind of Dwayne come out misinterpreted, turned upside down, in irrelevant connections. Sorry to be this blunt, but I'm perfectly willing to back it up with examples, should anybody want me to.

Hans

11. zechaeriah Registered Senior Member

i'm no scientist, but i don't see how we could even live without the electromagnetic field of the Earth. and therefore i don't see how the climate of the Earth could NOT be related. i thought it was a general consensus in the world of science that everything is relative. maybe i'm misinterpretting the notion, but it seems to me that if this is true then why WOULDN'T the two phenomena have anything to do with each other? the electromagnetic field is responsible for everything electrical on the Earth working properly, right? well, doesn't everything have electricity in it? the human body itself is governed by a fair amount of electricity. dare i mention lightning?

again, i'm no scientist, but these are the types of conclusions a layman such as myself would come to. hence posting here with a bunch of scientists to figure it out (so no flames please!). help me out here.

also, here is an article from Long island University talking about the effects of the Sun's electromagnetic field on the Earth's climate. unless i am reading this wrong, i see no reason why our own EM field wouldn't have a greater affect.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/03/000315080417.htm

Last edited: Aug 4, 2003
  12. MRC_Hans Skeptic Registered Senior Member

Hans

13. Dwayne D.L.Rabon Registered Senior Member

Wait a minute you mean that magnets have nothing to do with creating eletricty, Han the eletricry in your region of the world should be cut of and forced to use candles.

every electron in the world is polarized by the earth magnteic feild. there is not one electron that can escape.

Dwayne D.L.Rabon

14. MRC_Hans Skeptic Registered Senior Member

Not really looking for a debate with you, Dwayne. Your reasoning is a bit too kaleidoscopic for that, IMHO.

Hans

15. sharkstooth Registered Member

Our planet is constantly absorbing energy from the Sun. Obviously heat and also other forms of energy like solar flares and coronal mass ejection's. For the purpose of this post I will be talking about the later coronal mass ejection's ( CME's ).

A CME is a massive burst of plasma (ionized gas) emitted from the sun. The largest of which can be as much as 10 billion tones of plasma traveling at speeds of up to 2000 km per second. When this ionized gas collides with the Earth it can distort the Earths magnetosphere. The magnetosphere is the magnetic field surrounding the earth which is populated by electrons and ionized gas. The magnetic field spreads the CME forcing it around the earth and in effect protecting the planet from this attack. However a particularly large CME can compress the magnetosphere forcing some of its particles towards earth along magnet field lines as low as the upper atmosphere which causes the aurora borealis and magnetic storms. These particles would travel along the magnetic field lines until they met another magnetic force. The Earths magnetosphere reacts to this bombardment almost immediately and returns to normal after the CME has passed.

In the past some of the very large geomagnetic storms have been of such a magnitude that they have disrupted power stations and left people without a power supply. Could it be that we have not, as in modern times, witnessed the worst of these CME's and magnetic storms. If in the distant past a CME hit out planet with such force that it totally disrupted or magnetosphere forcing a polar shift, which has been speculated about, could not the effect of the Earths magnetic core have scared the surface of the planet as it reestablished a new North and South magnetic pole. The phenomenon know as ley lines could be the scaring left, magnetic fields as the Earth was forced to rebuild its magnetic poles.

In the book ' Secrets of the lost races' by Rene Noorbergen he writes- Just after the turn of the century and inventor Alexander Siemens ventured to the top of a pyramid accompanied by an Arab guide. When they reached the top of the pyramid the guide noticed that if he raised his arm with fingers outstretched he could hear a ringing in his ears. Siemens copied what the guide had done but felt a distinct prickling in his fingers. He guessed there must be something electromagnetic causing this and quickly manufactured a leyden jar ( device for collecting electrical energy) by drenching a news paper he had brought with the contents of a bottle of wine and wrapping the soaked paper around the empty bottle. Holding this make shift laden jar over his head it became more increasingly charge to a point where sparks began to fly out of it. The guide ignorant to what Seines was doing accused Siemens of witchcraft and attempted to grab him. Siemens lowered the bottle towards the guide giving the Arab. The guide received such a shock from the sparking bottle that he was thrown from his feet. On recovering the guide left in a hurry. Siemens concluded that for some reason the pyramid was discharging a powerful flow of electromagnetic current, why he could not answer.

Could the above story be evidence of telluric energy ( Earths own source of energy ). If the geomagnetic storms caused by the CME's somehow charge ley lines, in effect using the ley lines as magnetic field lines the electromagnetic charge would flow along these ley lines until they reached another magnetic force or in the case of the pyramid a device used to accumulate this electromagnetic charge much as Seimens did with the leyden jar. If this is the case are the pyramids by design or by accident accumulating this energy and did the ancient Egyptians know of this. If so did they tap into this energy and what could they have used it for.

16. MRC_Hans Skeptic Registered Senior Member

Seems this thread is destined to live forever, resurfacing at long intervals, heheh.

Hans

17. sharkstooth Registered Member

Thanks for tearing my reply to bits lol. It was aimed more of a question as it was just a theory I had. Yoy would prob get more info than I could give you on ley lines if you did a search on the net. Im not sure if anyone really knows what the purpose of ley lines are. My reply was just a thought at what they may be witha posible explanation of how they came about. Amy more comments are more than welcome,
    cheers
    sharkstooth

18. MRC_Hans Skeptic Registered Senior Member

For some rason, the software wants me to lengthen my message with 10 characters. This will shurely do

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Hans

19. sharkstooth Registered Member

Ok I let it drop with some of the things you said reguarding my first post like a CME not dirupting the magentosphere. Why is believed that a CME was responsible for Mars looseing its magnetic poles and thus Mars looseing its atmosphere. As for ley line did it not occure to you that the sites linked by ley lines are there because of ley lines. Alot of ley lines have been discovered by the method of dowsing without linking them to any ainciant site. You should open your mind to new ideas instead of trying to debunk everything. The safe way is not always the right way.

20. Edufer Tired warrior Registered Senior Member

A google search provided many links to “Ley lines”. In this one at:

http://witcombe.sbc.edu/earthmysteries/EMLeyLines.html we can read this, that gives us a clear idea:
    <dir>“According to Paul Devereux, it was the occultist Dion Fortune in her 1936 novel The Goat-Foot God (republished in 1971 by S. Weiser, New York, and in 1989 by Aquarian Press, Northamptonshire) who invented the idea that ley lines were "lines of power" linking prehistoric sites. A few years later, it was suggested that ley lines followed lines cosmic energy in the Earth and could be detected using dowsing rods. In the 1960s, ley lines, or "leys" as they were now called, became linked with UFO sightings.”</dir>

So we are jumping from a scientific discussion into an esoteric one. Let us not do it.

The Earth magnetic field is weakening, and some serious scientists consider this a signal of the next reversal. They say reversal have been happening a rate of about 200,000 to 500,000 years, and the last one happened 750,000 years ago. This means that we are long due for the next reversal. Although this would take some 3000 years or so to accomplish the whole reversal procedure.

There was a nice documentary on this issue on the Discovery channel, and it sounded convincing – in spite of the frequent rubbish appearing on Discovery channel, when it comes to airing scary things (global warming, ozone holes, species extinctions, rising sea levels, etc) for keeping the people scared about living on Earth. Why they do this? Because they play the game of presenting Earth saviors on many kinds, and that is big business.

21. zechaeriah Registered Senior Member

well, first of all, Dion Fortune was a student of theosophy and other esoteric paths. she didn't invent anything she shared in her writings, besides perhaps her speculations. but the objects of her discussion were supposedly what she learn from other scholars and books on the occult. so this Paul Devereux seems to be the one making up things here. ley lines have been known about for centuries. maybe Fortune coined the term, i dunno.

but second of all, i see no reason why we cannot talk about what is relevent. if we need to explore some theosophy while studying this stuff, maybe it's because it has something to do with the discussion. let's not stifle the thirst for the truth.

22. Edufer Tired warrior Registered Senior Member

It sounds good to me - this thirst for truth. So give us some evidence of the connection between Ley lines, theosophy, and Earth magnetic fields.

23. mikster01 Registered Member

Hi to all,

I am currently doing some research todetermine if the "holes in the Ozone" are in anyway caused by the changing magnetic fields in the earth.
    My theory starts when you look at where the "hole" is/was maybe tomorrow... and the ends of the arch of the magnetic fileds in the north and south. I saw s documentary on this mag fields and noticed that in the approx area the the "hole" appears, there was a zone of more magnitisim at this point and the as I watched it you see the level decrease and then increase (pulse) over a period of time. Also noted that "hole" shows same paterns, just can't match the data by dates.

Just starting a Theory I guess, but I usually run them down till I can't go any further with them.
    Any Input would be nice, usefull information is the best.

Thanks,

Mikster