Eatern philosophy in relation to the theme of justice in Othello

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by HoldenK, Apr 12, 2002.

1. HoldenK Registered Member

Just curious as to what peoples thoughts and feelings are...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

I am curious why this is in Eastern instead of General. After all, justice is common throughout the world, not only in the concept of karma.

I can't recall the dude's name, the lieutenant, Othello's pal. The only guy to come through unscathed. Why? He didn't succumb to his base urgers and emotions as Othello did, and he didn't plot and scheme out of greed as Iago did. He just maintained a "go with the flow" philosophy, and it all worked out (sort of) okay for him. I wrote a report on Othello for year 12 English, it had some interesting ideas in it. I just wish I could recall what they were... :bugeye:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

If its justice shouldn't it be in JUSTICE (just a thought).

Can anyone please tell me who this man is and why he is special though?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Asguard

Othello is a play by Shakespeare (I'm not really a fan of the guy, but we read this one in year 12). Othello is also one of the main characters, which is not really a surprise since Shakespeare had a nasty habit of simply naming plays for the main characters in them. Othello was a general serving Venice I think. Iago and the dude whose name I forget were his lieutenants. Othello had the hots for a girl named Desdemona. Othello decided one day to make the nameless lieutenant his successor/second in command, or something like that. This really pissed off Iago, who started scheming and plotting to screw everyone over. Iago's plotting (indirectly) made Othello get a tad angry, and he started doing really stupid things. In the end just about everyone in town dies except the nameless leiutenant guy.

If you ever bother to see it on video or whatever, take note that Othello is played by someone of sub-Saharan African descent in every make of the story I've ever seen. Which is silly since Othello in the story is a maure, which comes from the term Mauretania, which in Roman times was the north coast of Africa bordering the Mediterranean sea. The Mauretanians are you typically dusky skinned Middle Eastern/Egyptian types, not darker like the sub-Saharan Africans. Silly Hollywood.

If you're interested, look over on the top left area:
    Ye Olde Mappe

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Ah yes of corse, shakespear. don't like his work (had to do Mcbeth and Romo and Juliet). Thanks for explaning Adam

9. lazylinepainter Registered Member

i think the concept of justice in Othello has a lot to do with the Buddhist belief that everyone creates their own misery. your suffering is all inside your own little microcosm. had Othello been less clouded with emotions created by the thoughts in his deluded mind he would have seen the true nature of things and the murders could have been avoided. well. i can't really gather enough energy to explain it better but there's my little thought and there you go.

10. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

lazylinepainter ...

I like that: "everyone creates their own misery"

Had not Othello believed Iago, and his implying that Cassio had won
    Desdemona's heart, Othello's jealousy would not have over-ridden his
    reason.

Take care.

11. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

A little off topic. Akira Kurosawa, a famous japanese movie director made a movie called "Ran" which was a samurai rendition of "King Lear", also by Shakespeare. Kurosawa uses a lot of traditional japanese values in his movies (especially Ikiru).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Shakespeare's themes are generally universal and it's no surprise that an Eastern parallels can be found within them. It's an interesting topic.