Edgar Cayce - Fraud or Not?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by darksidZz, Apr 3, 2007.

?

I think..

Poll closed Apr 10, 2007.
  1. He was a fraud!

58.8%
  2. He was real!

35.3%
  3. He was both!

5.9%
  1. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

It was most likely a coincidence.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tyler N. Registered Senior Member

Not a coincidence. Her dream was probably a manifestation of her subconscious fears. Thats mostly what so-called prophetic dreams are. They are just the subconscious thinking. Like that one scientist who dreamed of the snake that swallowed its tail and it turned out to be a chemical he was trying to create. I really think most "psychic" things are actually just the subconscious, which is far more potent then we realize. I mean, we have such a massive brain, more then is required for cognitive thought and motor skills, for sure.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Swivel:

Although you are correct about astrology, Cayce tended to make relatively precise predictions.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Vega Banned Banned

Cayce's prediction that the hall of records would be located deep under the left paw of the sphinx is still to be excavated. Scientists and archeologists have verified using remote sensing devices that there exists the presence of an underground chamber beneath the sphinx. Its just a matter of convincing the egyptian government that the findings would be not affect to the sovereignity and integrity of their culture....They wouldn'tn wan't to believe that people from atlantis created their pyramids now!!!!

8. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I heard that in 2000. I wish somebody would just go dig it up already

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Kinda like Native Americans, blocking the study of Kennewick man. Like Turkey's on again off again policy for digs on Mt Ararat.

Fact is, the truth eventually gets "digged" up. The earth does not lie. People lie.

10. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Precision and Accuracy are two separate things. I have no doubt he was precise, I just doubt he was ever accurate.

I want someone to give me a detailed prediction in a sealed envelope that I get to hold onto myself. Until then, I assume any prognosticator is full of crap.

11. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Consider all the dreams, premonitions, et cetera that 150,000 people experience in a 10-year period. If none of these dreams, premonitions, et cetera ever came close to matching a real event, I would suspect that some occult force was operating to prevent coincidences from happening. Furthermore, when there is a partial match between some dream or premonition and a real event, people tend to exaggerate how close to reality the prediction was.

How many mothers of teenagers express worries at least once a month for years about a fatal auto accident? When a fatal accident happens, do you really consider the voiced worries as a prediction or an assessment of the odds?

Most of the so called psychics make lots of predictions, publicizing the ones that matched some real event, and not mentioning the others. If you pay attention, they never give exact names, dates, et cetera. I remember several psychics who claimed to have predicted Marilyn Monroe’s suicide.

At the time of her suicide I had a friend who was a girl (not a girl friend) who raved about one of these psychics. When I made light of the prediction and even suggested that the psychic was lying or exaggerating, this friend showed me a magazine which was 3-4 years old (she kept copies of all the National Enquirer-like trash she read). Lo & behold in the magazine article along with about 25 other predictions was a reference to some well known celebrity committing suicide some time in the future. No mention of the sex of the celebrity; No mention of the celebrity being an athlete, ballet dancer, or a movie star.

Gee, I was surprised the psychic was not able to match that prediction with some suicide between the publication date of the magazine and the death of Monroe. I wonder if she did use that prediction more than once. My friend said: “See! She really predicted Marilyn Monroe’s suicide.” I made a few remarks, but decided that it was a waste of time to argue with true faith.

BTW: It was interesting that the current (at that time) article claiming to have predicted Monroe’s death did not quote the actual article. The bragging about the prediction implied that she had named Monroe and had given an approximate date. She did not out and out lie, so she could do some lawyer-like talk if anybody quoted the actual prediction and accused her of lying.

12. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Brilliant.

13. iam Banned Banned

Nooooooooooooooooooo. Noooooooooooooo. Noooooooooooo. There are cases much more intimate than these examples you give. As in the moment of death, someone thousands of miles away not thinking of them perhaps taking a shower, "feeling" the death like a jolt in their heart. They just 'knew' the person died and immediately rush to the phone etc and it is confirmed the person died at virtually the same moment they felt the pain as if their was an invisible emotional link between them all along.

A man driving home speeding as usual on the same winding route along a mountain range spotted his dead father driving past him in his 1930's vehicle. His father, just nodded as if to follow him and pulls in front, his father pulls off onto an empty dirt road, he follows and disappears. This caused him to slow down considerably on the drive home as he was, of course, perplexed and pondering why he saw his dead father. Less than a mile up was a traffic accident and an overturned semi carrying fuel completely blocking the road. If he had been driving his regular speed, he admitted he "knew" that he would not be alive today because their would not be enough reaction time to slow or stop the vehicle in time. Again, he "KNEW" this phenomenon was directly responsible for his safety, not coincidentally but deliberately. Does he have an explanation? Was that really his father? He doesn't know and neither does anyone else.

And actually there is thousands of even more compelling stories and experiences and even cases but they keep to themselves mostly. Who would believe them? Who would believe you if you had an experience?

rakovsky likes this.
  14. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

^^^ All anecdotal nonsense. People lie, exaggerate, hallucinate, look for patterns in noise.

I'm not going to believe in magic because of accounts of accounts of accounts of coincidences. And neither should you.

15. rakovsky Registered Member

Interesting anecdote.
    I can see how a dream like that could be seen to actually refer to her divorce.
    One non-supernatural explanation about these kinds of things has sometimes been that a human being has instincts, and the instincts come out in the dreams, so her instincts were telling her that she would end up having a divorce. I made a thread about the question of prophecy:
    http://www.sciforums.com/threads/ho...stament-prophecies-and-how-do-we-know.158973/
    maybe you will be interested in it.

darksidZz likes this.
  16. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

You kept him waiting 10 years for this info?!
    I am sure he has been checking in everyday just waiting for this....

darksidZz likes this.
  17. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Amazing! I think Cayce was maybe a scam artist, but I also believe psychics are real. I watch a lot of Ghost Stories on Destination America and other channels, in one a lady went to a psychic and didn't tell her the reason, made one up about her husband and divorce. The psychic knew she was there because a spirit was torturing her haunting her, not for the divorce. There are real ones out there.

18. Oystein Registered Senior Member

Cause: "I watch a lot of Ghost Stories on Destination America and other channels"
    Effect: " I also believe psychics are real"

darksidZz likes this.
  19. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Maybe, but I still believe

20. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Ummmm

Having mass is not the only limitation to time travel

If you are going to travel it helps to have a destination

TIME does not exist
    Only NOW exist
    The PAST does not exist
    The FUTURE does not exist

I mean heck isn't the mind made of a neurol network and it's basically electricity?

No

The main component of the brain is water

The neurones (nerve cells) are interconnected in a network

The operation of the brain is a mix of electrical signals and chemical reactions

Neither of those processes contain the ability to time travel in addition to what I have already stated

TIME does not exist
    Only NOW exist
    The PAST does not exist
    The FUTURE does not exist

21. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Agree

But a tiny tiny ittsy bittsy wittsy bit of woo is far more devastating than little bit of fake knowledge

22. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Then the part is not unconscious

Worthy of the Gong of the Woo with Bar for Services rendered in the name of Saying a lot and Meaning Nothing

23. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Sagan "Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out"