Edge On

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by wet1, Jun 9, 2001.

1. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Galaxy NGC4013 is thought to be much like our own galaxy. It is viewed by us edge on and is like what we would see if we saw the Milky Way from an edge on perspective. The HST took this shot. In it you can see the dust clouds surround the galaxy. In these regions are found star formation areas.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. KneD Le Penseur Registered Senior Member

Question

Am I right when I say that the light spot in the center of this galaxy is the center of the galaxy;
    where an enormous amount of stars are very close to eachother (in comparison with the rest of the galaxy)

I thought I am right about this, but I'm not sure....can some1 pls tell me I am right (or tell me what else it is)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

The "light spot" you mention is actually a star at the edge of the dust cloud and appears brighter because it is not so shielded from view. The glow in the picture is the center. You can look at the next picture down, which is smaller, and get a better perspective of it. If I can remember where I saw it there is a composite of this picture using several shots to make up a whole panaramic view.

Interesting is it not?

While I have not found the composite view yet I did find this which will give some idea.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2001
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KneD Le Penseur Registered Senior Member

Thanks

ah, IC....

Yeah, I was in doubt with the first photo, so I asked...and it appeared to be something else...

Thank you for that second photo.

It made everything clear...THX!!!!!!