Effect Of Split Rings In A Simple D.c Motor?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by chikis, Mar 19, 2012.

1. chikis Registered Senior Member

What is the effect of using split- rings in a simple d.c motor?
    A. The direction of rotation of the coil is reversed. B. The current in the coil flow in the same direction C. The current in the coil becomes alternating D. The direction of force on the coil is reversed E The contact with the voltage source is cut off.
    I have never seen a d.c motor before or a split ring. I don't just know the function of a split ring in a simple d.c motor.
    I don't know wether anybody has an idea about this.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. elte Valued Senior Member

Your inquiry reminds me of alternators that have slip rings. In alternators, slip rings are used to transfer power the field windings.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Answer: B.

Once the coil has rotated half a turn, the magnetic force on the current would be in the wrong direction unless the current was reversed.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

by "split ring" i assume you mean commutator.
    by simple D.C. motor i assume you mean a single coil of wire on the armature.
    i also assume permanent magnets generate the field.

the closet answer is C.

the current is reversed.

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Whether we say the current is reversed or in the same direction depends on how you look at it. When the coil flips round half a turn, we need the current to flow in the same direction with respect to the stationary magnets. That requires that the current direction with respect to the rotating coil is reversed.

9. chikis Registered Senior Member

Here comes the confusion; James R choose B and leopold choose C.
    From this two option, which do we take?
    I faced simillar problem with two past question and answers with each suggesting different answers.

10. leopold Valued Senior Member

the commutator reverses the direction of current flow through the armature coils.
    that is why the commutator is needed.

in effect, the armature coil current becomes alternating.

the correct answer is C.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  11. chikis Registered Senior Member

So where do you strongly belong to now?

12. chikis Registered Senior Member

Yes, I agree with you that the commutator reverses the direction of current flow through the armature coils.
    But what is the end result?

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The problem is with the words "the current in the coil flows in the same direction". There are two possible interpretations: (1) the same direction with respect to the stationary magnets in the motor, or (2) the same direction with respect to the rotating coil.

With a commutator, the current stays the same direction with respect to the stationary magnets (option B), but reverses direction with respect to the coil (option C).

14. Emil Valued Senior Member

Not really understand exactly what you mean by split- rings.
    If there is for bypassing (shortcircuit) the number of poles then the motor speed increases.

15. Emil Valued Senior Member

Whoops .... I understand now.
    Is the basic element for DC motor operation.
    (There is no in AC motors.)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. chikis Registered Senior Member

You have actually made it. Slip rings are used in a.c motors but whenever we want to make a d.c motor; the slip-ring is then replaced with split-ring ( slip-ring which have been splited).
    The function of split-ring in a d.c motor is simple:
    an a.c motor produces current that changes it direction in every given time of it flow, therefore it direction is not steady (same); it changes (reverses) direction periodically a d.c motor produces current which does not change it direction periodically. It flows in a steady (same) direction. Whenever a we want to convert an a.c to d.c motor, we simply replace the slip ring in an a.c motor with a split-ring which reverses the direction of the current so that it flows in the same (steady) direction and the amateure coil will keep on rotating.
    The answer is B and no other.

17. chikis Registered Senior Member

A split-ring is just a slip ring that have been splited (divided) into two equal halve which can be used in a d.c motor to keep the current moving in a steady direction through the coil.
    Click the link below and you will get to see the split-ring. Is also known as the commutator.
    http://sciencecity.oupchina.com.hk/npaw/student/glossary/img/commutator.jpg

18. el es Registered Senior Member

19. leopold Valued Senior Member

if you put this answer on a test i guarantee that you will get it wrong.

A commutator is a rotary electrical switch in certain types of electric motors or electrical generators that periodically reverses the current direction between the rotor and the external circuit.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commutator_(electric)