Effects of Silica

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Kumar, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Thanks Catastrophe for informations. Due this effect it is somewhered was called as 'Twinkle Stars of Earth' . It will have lot more properties. Its semiconduction property can be very much related to inertness or non-reactiveness of cancer & other cells as well as bacteria. Pencillin or other antibiotics may be also have some connection with it. Flurone (Calcium Fluoride) is also very much related(anti) to silica. Frankly, it appears to me that three evements are not yet properly studied which can be related to most of our unsolved problems. Those are, Sulphur, Fluorine & Silicon, in tissue salts i.e. Potassium Sulphate, Calcium Fluoride & Silica. These three salts cover almost all the chronic & unsolved disorders in bio-chemic tisse salts therapy in the name of , Kali.Sulph., Calc.Fluor., & Silicea.

Some properties of Silicon are;

Silicon is present in the sun and stars and is a principal component of a class of meteorites known as aerolites. Silicon makes up 25.7% of the earth's crust by weight, and is the second most abundant element, exceeded only by oxygen. It is found largely as silicon oxides such as sand (silica), quartz, rock crystal, amethyst, agate, flint, jasper and opal. Silicon is found also in minerals such as asbestos, feldspar, clay and mica.

Silicon is important in plant and animal life. Diatoms in both fresh and salt water extract silica from the water to use as a component of their cell walls. Silicon is an important ingredient in steel. Silicon carbide is one of the most important abrasives. Workers in environments where silicaceous dust is breathed may develop a serious lung disease known as silicosis.

Hydrolysis and condensation of substituted chlorosilanes can be used to produce a very great number of polymeric products, or silicones. These range from liquids to hard, glasslike solids with many useful properties.

Elemental silicon transmits more than 95% of all wavelengths of infrared and and has been used in lasers to produce coherent light at 456 nm.

Silicon is probably essential in higher plants and perhaps to mammals. Diatoms, some protozoa, some sponges, and some plants use silicon dioxide (SiO2) as a structural material. Silicon is known to be required by chicks and rats for growth and skeletal development. Silicon is not particularly toxic but finely divided silicates or silica cause major damage to lungs. In a 70 kg person silicon contents are estimated just 18.2 gms.

Full details can be read at;

http://www.webelements.com/webelements/elements/text/Si/index.html

Last edited: Oct 26, 2003
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kumar Registered Senior Member

I bit try to explain its properties;

Semiconductor: any of a class of solids (as germanium or silicon) whose electrical conductivity is between that of a conductor and that of an insulator in being nearly as great as that of a metal at high temperatures and nearly absent at low temperatures. Its conductivity increases with temperature and in the presence of impurities. We may probaby link 'hyper' & 'hypo' functions of our body's systems with its semiconductive property, Eg; Fever,BP,Acid-base balance etc.

Biological Actions: Silica occurs in living organisms. It is possible that silicon may have played an important, perhaps even necessary role, in the origin of life on the earth. The pattern of deposition of silica in plants is biologically specific and it is possible to identify plants by microscopic examination of silica particles. In some cases, silica appears to be a factor in the resistance that plants offer to diseases and insects.

Human tissues often contain from 6 to 90 mg of silica per 100 grams of dry tissues. Lung tissue may vary from 10 mg in infancy to as much as 2000 mg per 100 grams in old age.

Silicon is a trace mineral that is believed to be needed in the making and maintaining of connective tissue. It is also found in bone areas that are undergoing mineralization.

Silicon may be helpful in the treatment of osteoporosis. The herb Horsetail is rich in silicon. Horsetail absorbs calcium which can then be used in the growth of bones, hair, and nails. Beer, Root Vegetables, and Whole Grains are some of its natural resources.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2003
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Catastrophe Registered Senior Member

Kumar

Thanks for that information. I see there is silicon in "Multibionta" supplement. I have the "Readers Digest Guide to Vitamins, Minerals and Supplements" and there is only one mention of silicon (p.337) (about osteoporosis) "Adding other key vitamins and minerals, such as silicon, vitamin B6 and folic acid, provides further protection."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kumar Registered Senior Member

It looks Silica is not yet much looked into inspite of its several hidden qualities. Its minuteness in body, inertness etc. made us not to think much about it. But this can be just a misunderstanding.

Most of the items considered as auspicious in religion & old healing therapies like gems,crystals, various things made from stones(except marble) etc. contains the silica as a mojor constituent. Aura, Reiki & other spritual healing systems may have some link with silica. Cactus,Aloe-vera, wheat grass, palms plants etc. contain silica.

8. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Kiss my ass.

9. Kumar Registered Senior Member

I don't know but pets are attracted towards silica. I have seen dogs eating some diatomic earth. Allthough It did't make them sick but it made them inconvinient. May be due to its sharp edges?

10. Catastrophe Registered Senior Member

11. Kumar Registered Senior Member

12. Catastrophe Registered Senior Member

Kumar

It is difficult to say yet since he is on other medication as well. The vet says it can do no harm. Our cat is one of three of our cats who have gained entrance to the Supreme Cat Show later this month. (To do this they have to win the Open class in a recognised show.) After that we are having diagnostics and will see if we can drop the other medication. Our vet has no problem with 'alternative' remedies as long as they are not used to REPLACE their advice. They have seen some very bad cases.

13. Kumar Registered Senior Member

14. leftyleo Registered Member

I have noticed when I take any suppliments with silica in them I start a dry cough that will not stop until I quit taking the supplement.
    Please advise

15. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

It looks like you are a true and proper Necromancer, Leo! Perhaps you should hang around a while and sift our archives for other long-deceased topics to dredge up?

As to you question: it sounds as if you're simply allergic to whatever supplements you've been taking. Many, perhaps most, medicines can have some kind of side-effect, and new effects are regularly discovered for well-established substances since all humans are different to some degree. All I can suggest is to keep trying new silica supplements until you find one which is benign to you, or give up on them if the symptoms are really bad.

16. polishko Registered Member

Hi,

My cat has been sick since 5 months and I've visited several vets who couldn't understand the problem for very long time and one of them even diagnosed her wrongly with FIP and caused us lots of trouble with excessive medication. Finally I took her to the veterinary faculty, where she was correctly diagnosed with chronic gastritis. They found hairballs in her stomach and decided these were he main cause for gastritis. Then we started medication. During the meantime, I had removed the crystalline silica litter, since she was eating it due to iron deficiency or anemia. She was slowly improving for one week. They I put back the silica litter. She got bad again! I found pieces in her vomit. The nausea started again. Then I remembered: the time her sickness started in some time after I started using the silica litter. She sometimes also had dry cough which was never persistent for 2-3 days. Now I removed the litter again. I hope it will go ok. But yes I am suspicious of the litter. Try to wet it. There's the sound indicating the chemical reaction and you have release of heat!. Don't you think this can be irritating?

17. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Paleolithic, mesolithic and neolithic peoples made extensive use of silica for bashing out the brains of animals and each other.

18. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Well, reading through this old thread, resurrected once again by Polishko [welcome to sciforums, Polishko!], brings to mind a few points not mentioned, that might prove of interest to some people.

Silicon metabolism does not appear well-understood, yet occurs in several classes of plants. Scouring Rushes [horsetails, or Equisetum genus] have long been used because of the silica crystals in the stems, which are quite abrasive and good for scouring pots and pans. I am not familiar with silicon metabolism in animals, though perhaps some of our other biologists who post here know more about it.

In the ocean, diatoms are single-celled plants that are exceptionally abundant. They metabolize dissolved silicon dioxide [extremely minute in concentration, because glass is virtually insoluble], which is accreted as an outer 'shell' for the cell. There are a myriad number of designs, quite beautiful when seen under a microscope [http://www.indiana.edu/~diatom/diatom.html].

In ancient times, as diatoms died, their 'shell' would fall to the floor, making thick deposits. Over time, this has been uplifted, and now much of Nevada [and many other locations] has extensive deposits of this "diatomaceous earth". It is an excellent filtering agent, because the 'shells' are intact, and trap fine particulate matter that is washed through.

Powdered diatomaceous earth is used as an insecticide, by simply sprinkling it directly on the insect. Apparently it gets inside through the air-pores, and cuts up the insects insides, to where it dies. After all, silicon dioxide is glass, and diatomaceous earth is much like fibre-glass insulation, if you know what that's like if you get it on your skin [or worse yet, in your lungs from breathing the dust].

Anyway, silicon likely has many more uses for us waiting to be explored.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Just to add to the confusion: There is nothing inherently toxic about silica. The trouble is the shape of the silica dust that can trap it in the lungs. Your body cannot dissolve it, due to it's inertness, and it stays there doing damage.

20. Roman Banned Banned

I knew a coke dealer who would, on occasion, cut his coke with ground up silica powder. That was definitely a dude you didn't want to fuck with.

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think MSG does a similar thing. The shape cuts your taste buds, making them more sensitive. It also causes cancer.

22. Roman Banned Banned

I thought that was the fibre glass they put in chewing tobacco to make the buzz more extreme.

MSG is delicious, but it makes me feel sort of hungover.

23. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I just got a waring for a post I made on this thread THREE YEARS AGO!
    Check the date, spidergoat. :deal: