Ego

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by prozak, Oct 5, 2002.

1. prozak Banned Banned

"When it all comes down to it, Nietzsche was wrong, just like all the others, but to admit that would require the deflation of the grand ego-machine that this board feeds"

1) I think anyone who insists "all the others" were absolutely "wrong" is nuts, and is justifying his own ego's not competing as much as anything else.

2) I don't think this board feeds the ego; I think it's a combination of American culture and human tendencies when using computers.

More on this later.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. machaon Registered Senior Member

A reply

But that it the beauty of it. We are ALL wrong. The curtains have not been lifted yet. To think that human knowledge could ever fill the void that surrounds every waking moment unobserved and unfelt is quite idiotic. The best bet is to just pick what feels right to you and stick with it until something better comes along. And if nothing better comes along, then death is really just a formality.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

Well said.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Squid Vicious Banned Banned

Waiting for more....

8. machaon Registered Senior Member

A reply

I will try to elaborate on my last post. I was trying to say, that as each of us learn and grow, the assumptions we hold about life and the world must pivot upon the fulcrum of our experience. To not allow the new information we are exposed to everyday penetrate what we think is true is to deny experience the opportunity provide us with any new directions. I was simply saying that we should not fear the fact that we are wrong in our assumptions, because they are singular and based upon finite experience. As a matter of fact, I think everyone should assume that they are wrong and continually try to disprove their own assumptions. It is easier than one might think. Learning is essential to growth. And there are a lot more things to learn about than can support any one particular view. In my personal experience, I find that the more I learn, the less I actually know.

9. spookz Banned Banned

" more I learn, the less I know"

my missing sig

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. prozak Banned Banned

Re: A reply

See Nietzsche's comments about "grand statements" and "feeling."

There's a difference between "working hypothesis, correct at its level of abstraction" and "completed theory put to rest," as there is between "unproven" and "wrong"

11. prozak Banned Banned

Anyone ever think about the effect television has on our perception of self as protagonist? It seems most people know are caught in a drama of their own making, like some who responded to this original post

12. machaon Registered Senior Member

A reply to prozak

If you were referring to me, I would appreciate an elaboration of this particular statement. Because I think I know where you are coming from, but I not quite sure that I know what you mean.

13. prozak Banned Banned

Let's leave it ambiguous as to whom the reply is directed. I think many people honestly believe their lives are television shows, and that fantasy is real.

!!! NUTTY !!!

14. machaon Registered Senior Member

A reply to prozak

Fair enough, although I am a LITTLE confused about how such a broad statement pertains to this particular dialogue.

15. lordjin Registered Senior Member

You know who's really wrong? The guy who can't help but look at his reflection in the window as he walks out of the gym on his way to his SUV.