Eighth grader strip searched

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by S.A.M., Apr 21, 2009.

1. Nasor Valued Senior Member

If there's a situation so serious that it warrants a strip search, why not call the police and let the professionals deal with it?

But of course, if they had called the police and told them that they had a student who was suspected of being in possession of Advil, the police would probably have laughed at them.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nasor Valued Senior Member

The question cannot be meaningfully answered without specifying what drugs you're talking about. My reaction to someone being in possession of cocaine around my child would be very different from my reaction to someone being in possession of Advil around my child, for what I would hope would be very, very obvious reasons.

Simply saying "drugs" without specifying is like asking "How would you feel if someone brought a weapon to your child's school???" without specifying if by "weapon" you mean a slingshot, brass knuckles, pocket knife, .38 special, backpack full of dynamite and ball bearings, or a tactical nuclear weapon.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

is that a kindergarten your talking about Nasor, havent the US made tactical nukes a condition of entry yet?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

bells i agree with you 100%, the school had NO RIGHT to interfear in a students medical health no matter wether it was perscription or over the counter. They also had NO RIGHT to act as a police force without even the safe guards the police require such as parental (or failing that DOCS) representation for the child and a lawyer.

That being said (and rember i havent read the case yet) you do need to be careful as to wether this is a private or a public school. Even in this country there are some REALLY unethical behavors private schools have gotten into and been alowed to under the law because they set the rules before the student enroled. Unless there is legislation to overrule it if its a private school they may well get off scot free

8. John99 Banned Banned

After actually reading a link, which was given quite awhile after the op btw, it wasnt a prison type search and it was done by females. its a tough call, surely for hard drugs something must be done but i think that is when the cops are called.

this can lead to abuse of power

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I thought she was an eighth grader? That chick looks about 40.

10. John99 Banned Banned

she is 19 now. i hate to say it but after reading the article and knowing that she was NOT strip searched i guess she just needs money for college.

11. swarm Registered Senior Member

The search by two female school employees was methodical and humiliating, Ms. Redding said. After she had stripped to her underwear, “they asked me to pull out my bra and move it from side to side,” she said. “They made me open my legs and pull out my underwear.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/us/24savana.html?_r=3

If they can see your nipples and look up your crotch it sure sounds like a strip search to me.

12. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

So what if she was?

It's not a reason to assume she was carrying illegal drugs, and strip search her.

Otherwise, you could automatically assume that anyone who was from a subculture was carrying illegal drugs and discriminate against them accordingly.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Thousands of little kids starve to death every day all over the world, yet y'all are worried and upset about one lousy little kid getting strip searched. Yer' priorities are a little fucked up, ain't they?

Can you imagine ....thousands of those starving kids would have gladly submitted to being strip-searched in exchange for some food. ...and y'all are makin' a big deal outta' one lousy little kid. Priorities?

Baron Max

14. ShredMetalBlues Words Laced with Blasphemy Registered Senior Member

What about drug sniffing dogs? Strip searching an 8th grader on mere suspicion is indeed wrong.

If the school felt they had reason to strip search her, surely they should've let a cop dog sniff her. That's a frightening thought too, but I'd imagine being sniffed by a dog for drugs is less traumatizing then being strip searched.

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

In Afghanistan, little school girls have acid thrown into their faces for going to school. Is that worse than being strip searched for drugs?

Baron Max

16. John99 Banned Banned

"suspected her of having brought prescription-strength ibuprofen pills to school."

i cant believe they would do that for prescription Ibuprofen though.

17. oiram Registered Senior Member

Hell when I was in 8th grade we had to shower after gym class if we perspired, in a open shower with many other naked boys and a gym coach that really seemed to take his monitoring responsibilities seriously, Hmm…. maybe I should sue too, I could use a new car

18. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

only if you don't like acid in your face.

19. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

those are matters outside the country. I agree, it doesnt make it right, but people don't care about ones not of their kind.

20. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

wow, look at the right wing nut's deflection

21. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

This is an extreme violation of privacy.

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

It wasn't an attempt to "deflect" the discussion as it was an attempt to inject a little perspective to it all. People often leap to conclusions or jump to judgement without ever thinking of a subject in its various world perspectives.

People continually spout the high n' mighty words of "world community" and "global village", yet just like this topic, they can't actually do it!!

Which is better in the "global village" .....being strip searched for drugs at school, or starving to death without ever even seening a school?

See? That's the "world community" ....not the bullshit that's been discussed here in this thread.

Nope, not deflection, ....priorities and perspective.

Baron Max

23. Saven Registered Member

Never was.