Election: Moderator for Astronomy, Exobiology and Cosmology

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by James R, Aug 31, 2004.

?

Please vote for your preferred choice for moderator of the Astronomy forum.

Poll closed Sep 7, 2004.
  1. Hypercane

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. ILikeSalt

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. (Q)

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  4. sargentlard [no longer wishes to run so vote will not count]

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. Tristan

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  6. vslayer

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  7. None of the above

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I'm sorry but my prefrence is always with new people as moderators.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

then why not put me in there. ill kick ass as mod.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Caz you forget to nominate your self in the nomination thread. No worries there will be another nomination thread for another subforum in just days.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

wohoo. i will start my pre-self-nomination campainging now:
    VOTE FOR ME!!!!<<<<

*sigh* i really cant be bothered to do all that. those of you who are intelligent will know i should be a mod without all this popery.

8. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

i nominate my self :m:

9. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I guess you should have nominated yourself in the Nomination Thread.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

11. Hypercane Sustained Winds at Mach One Registered Senior Member

I see that I am a very unconvincing person.

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Look at it in another way: We don't want that the power of moderation will corrupt your pristine personality.

13. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Searches have a time limit. All yours are timed out. It's because the link isn't a call to the search.php with a specific set of keywords and conditions, but rather an instance of a specific search which is obviously removed from the database after an amount of time.

You could probably do the same with a google search. Well, not quite the same. Wouldn't be able to get individual posts, but, anyway...

14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Pete

I think the post count is not important. Have a look at the content of the posts before making a decision.

If you read a candidates posts that shows a propensity towards pseudoscience, do you really want that kind of person to moderate a science forum?

Or if you see the candidate involved in threads who has little or no knowledge of the subject matter, do you want that person as moderator of that forum?

Or would you rather just vote based on a popularity contest? This is usually how moderator ban threads get started, isn't it?

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Actually was unpopular before and after my election, I won though shear propaganda.

16. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

Here's a little propaganda for me:

Reasons I should moderate:
    1. Im fair and nice as seen by my moderation of earth science.
    2. Im pretty knowledgeable in astronomy... its my future career. Ive gone to three Astronomy camps associated with the University of Arizona. We used the 60", 40", and 12" on Mt. Lemmon, visited the mirror lab (construction on the first LBT mirror was finishing up the second year I went, whereas the third year contruction was beginning on the second mirror). Also the second year I used IRAF to reduce data on SS433 and isolate its hydrogen emisson line. I visted the LBT, took a tour of the entire place (amazing I must say)... same with the Sub Millimeter Radio telescope ( all on Mt. Graham). Also, I used the 61" on Mt.Bigelow (neigboring to Mt.Lemmon)... famous for its use by David Levy... Originally built to map the moon for the apollo missions.

So there's a little about me and why I think I am qualified to mod astronomy.

Thanks and Vote for TRISTAN!!!! Thanks again!

17. Hypercane Sustained Winds at Mach One Registered Senior Member

Do I have a pristine personality?

18. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Hypercane, I'd guess it's just that you're a recent join-up is the reason you're not getting much support. And, with your interest in weather phenomena, you'd probably be a better earth science mod... to bad it's already taken, eh?

19. Hypercane Sustained Winds at Mach One Registered Senior Member

I guess so, but it is alright with me. I do not mind if im a moderator or not, and besdies, I have a very limited knowledge of the current subject we're revolving around now.

20. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I think I should be moderator because I do have a broad knowledge of Astronomy. It's one of my favourite hobbies. I like to check out the latest discoveries in the sky and I spend the clear nights peering through my telescope. I'm easy to get along with, I have not had any major disputes with any of the members of this forum. I will moderate with common sense. I will move threads to the proper forums if needed. I also won't dump responsibility on the other moderators. I wlll not only move and close threads but I will encourage good discussion. I spend hours logging on to the forums to read and discuss. If I'm elected to be the moderator, I will spend a large portion of that time in the Astronomy forum.

I also have access to interesting articled regarding the latest astronomical events. I haven't really had a chance to post a lot in that forum because I favour other ones. If I'm the moderator, I will post more and show more of my knowledge in astronomy. So I will not only be a great moderator, I will give more life to the forum.

If you read the thread, I also have the support of some well known members.

Thank You

Your votes are welcome.

Vote for ILikeSalt.

21. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Ilikesalt

Relax.....now you're showing desperation.

22. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Yeah, chill, woman. Remember what I said about those who wish power should never be allowed to have it. You've already shown your desire for power, in fact self-nomination made it a necessary aspect of this election. But, now you begin to show just how desperately you do wish power. It's a bit unseemly.

Power does not corrupt, it merely attracts the corruptible. (I think that might be from Frank Herbert. Could be wrong.)

23. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I would take Ilikesalt over Q any day. I get the feeling of apathy and indifference from him, sure a corrupt moderator is bad, but one that doesn't give dam is worse.

but chill Ilikesalt no worries, there will be many more elections to come.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.