Electrically charged insects

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by MarkE, Jan 29, 2015.

1. MarkE Registered Member

“Plants are usually charged negatively and emit weak electric fields. On their side, bees acquire a positive charge as they fly through the air. No spark is produced as a charged bee approaches a charged flower, but a small electric force builds up that can potentially convey information. The flower's potential changes and remains so for several minutes".
    (Link: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/130221143900.htm)

My question is: does this account for all plants/trees? And what about other insects than bees?

Are there more examples of this electrical attraction between (sea) plants and pollinators?

danshawen likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

With friction, and with flying insects not being grounded for a lot of the time, yes I would imagine most of them pick up a significant enough charge. I'm not sure what kind of useful info the electric force between an insect and the flower conveys though or if it is relevant at all.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. danshawen Valued Senior Member

Helicopters likewise pick up electric charge from the atmosphere, particularly in cold, dry weather. It isn't really a mystery. It's the triboelectric series.

Photosynthesis producing an electric charge would be news, but not entirely unexpected. You can make batteries out of potatoes easily enough.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Hmm, I think I would take issue with the second statement. In all the examples I know of, the potato is no more than an electrolyte. The actual potential is created due to use of two electrodes of different materials, e.g. copper and zinc, which you insert into the potato.

danshawen likes this.
  8. danshawen Valued Senior Member

Point to exchemist. The evidence I provided for electromobility from photosynthesis was weak. This is about as far as researchers will go:

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2010/april/electric-current-plants-041310.html