emo kids

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Avatar, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Hi!

I noticed spuriousmonkey use the term a few times, and others,
    but what is it? Some new subculture or smth? For what do they stand for or desire?

thanks for any future input on this!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lemming3k Insanity Gone Mad Registered Senior Member

Emo meaining emotional, it generally is the young teens who go around acting all depressed or angry etc. Its almost a subculture i guess of people that believe its cool to be emotional in certain ways, they tend to follow certain bands(good charlotte is one of the popular ones), wear certain things(like hoodies with bandnames on) and believe the whole world is out to get them, which is a shame because when some people genuinely get depressed or have problems at that age(or slightly older) people dismiss it as an emo phase.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Weird. Is it an american thing or is it in Europe too? I haven't noticed anything like that in these parts.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lemming3k Insanity Gone Mad Registered Senior Member

Well its everywhere in Britain, and i believe some other european places too, its kind of a step up from mere teen angst.

8. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

oh.. thanks, o nexus of knowledge!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Coldplay is an emo band, isn't it? When I think Emo, I think Coldplay.

Look at the stars...
    See how they shine for you...
    And everything that you do...
    And it was all yellow....

Fags.

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

They seem like modern day goth kids, just with a terrible lack of style and seem to be more whining than being sad.

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Sorry, haven't heard that band. :/

13. Lemming3k Insanity Gone Mad Registered Senior Member

This is where the fuzzy line of band labeling begins.
    Coldplays general mellow tunes to their music get them labelled as brit-pop or brit-rock, not really considered emo despite the constantly miserable lyrics, perhaps because chris only shows one emotion over and over again?
    Thats a pretty good description, i'll go with that.

14. duendy Registered Senior Member

The kids that are dep-ressed, and emotional aren't playing it. tey ARE. it's really callpus to claim people are putting it on when they feel distressed

Youth are the clue of what culture is. they're closer to being real, than many adults who define a mask they hide behind and rationalize oppression. a kid will say it...ie' i'm bored' etc

we're all fuckin bored. we are domesticated rats runnin a fukin aBOUTT

some ignoreant older people and even theirparents may agonize why they aREN'T, happy. after many have got moblies, Ipods, computers, decks.........MAny in ghettos haven't got anything but concrete all round their heads

BUt dont worry. they'll get te emo knocked the fuk out of them. and of course LEGALLY
    drugged out of it!

sure you've heard of TeenScreen in U.S..???

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I think I like punks, goth kids and hippies better than this new whiny trend. They're a part of the culture, not the culture. And it's not global, haven't seen any indications of it in Eastern Europe.

No. Should I?

Speak for yourself

16. crazyfreespirit "Custom User Title" Registered Senior Member

Emo become a bit of a fad for kids who want to "stick out" but aren't really different in any way. That's why they can't pull of goth. It's really kind of pathetic to see them showing off their wrist scars that they put there because its part of the fad. Then the kids with real issues get screwed even further because emos are generally looked down on, so the kid with real issues gets a bad rap on top of everything else. Emo's, I've found from experience, are fairly self involved and think they are gods, which really doesn't fit in with the whole idea of emo, thus leading to part of why they are thought of as posers. That article on wiki is right in some parts, but totally off in others. Main stream music is bad according to emo's...bands like "Atreyu" and "Coheed and Cambria" are popular among them. Of course this is the majority of emo kids...a few I know are actually pretty cool, and even some are actually "emo"...but the majority are annoying posers.

17. Roman Banned Banned

Emo's sort of a funny thing. It's roots are in hardcore DC punk, which eventually shifted to the hxc and sXe scenes.

Then the term emo got co-opted by 90's indie, and the scene where 90's emo was played changed. Emo fans were more likely to be in college or wearing scarves and turtlenecks than throwing fists and moshing. Emo was pacified and made palatable for mainstream consumption.

18. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

19. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Ack, emos.

"Oh god, I'm so depressed \\\cutcut///"

It's like Marvin the Paranoid Android in human form.

20. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

I never knew that those post punk eyeliner bands were called emo. I knew indie emo only. Dashboard confessional was a good example. Their first major album was great i thought, because I am emo I guess. Now they are trying to be too pop. Coldplay is too pop to be called emo.
    Emo died before it ever got started really, but that is probably what "real" punk rockers say about punk, even though the only punk I heard was the stuff that was mildly popular, after it got popular, so i probably shouldn't say that.
    Bright eyes, and sufjan stevens, and the rest of that whole thing is "son of emo", i think, so the genes definitely survived.
    Smashing pumpkins/my bloody valentine= some of the anscestors of emo. I guess I am old because i want to go back to the vibe music had in 1993-94 (before the "alanis event" occured and musical emotion became a parody of itself) and stay there. Just kidding...kind of.

21. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Beware! There is also this line in that song:

For you I bleed myself dry

I have always thought that that line was oddly strong, for a song like that and a band like them.

22. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Mhm.
    There is a line from an old song by Carter USM, The only living boy in New Cross that has stayed in my mind for years --

The comfort and the joy
    of feeling lost

And I always thought how this is true, but no good.

23. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

Emo music. You learn something new everyday.

Is this the kind of music that makes you wanna commit suicide and blow your brains out backstage like Nirvana?

I don't think I could listen to it but I definetely like it.

We definetely need more Emo Bands!