Emotion versus Reason

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by proycon, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Here's a problem I had recently: Even though I knew it was absolutley pointles for me to have feelings for this girl, I mean backed by facts, logical thought, etc. I still felt in love with her.

So here's my theory: Emotion and Reason can fiercely debate each other or work hand in hand. Both are evoluionary traits created to help the survival and the over all well being of this species. You need to be able to listen to a mix of both, or know when to listen to which at certain times.

P.S. Life's too short for coulda, woulda, shoulda. If your in a situation that's eating you up inside like I was just talk to the person - everything works out allright. Not exactly as you want

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

but in a way that frees you and makes you feel better.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Not everyone has emotions they can control.

It took me a long time, and I'm still not there, but I have decent control. When things are going good I let emotion control my feelings. When things are bad.....logic! Though, when there's a very sudden change, it's sometimes harder to cope.

When really bad times set in and my logic still isnt strong enough to overcome emotions, that's when suicidal tendencies come.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

I know, it does take a lot to curb or control your emotions. I myself can't really control my emotions but I have been able to stop two bad habbits:

First, I used to be the kid that never backed down from a fight. I was constantly angry and hurt my friends but mostly those kind of people who use intimidation to rule (you know, dominate because no one ever fought them). But then I looked around and all my friends were being affected badly and I realized I was going to destroy myself and probably lose them (I only got real friends two years ago and I love 'em). So I hung out with a friend of mine (the one the Life View post is about) and also I worked out and studied more martial arts. It may seem weird but the more I knew, the less I wanted to hurt people, the more disciplined I became too I guess. And it made my life extremely better.

Second, suicide. Tried it, friend called me up and stopped it. And I've just realized no matter how shitty it seems life still is an incredible thing.

So sorry this was so long, and its not supposed to be preachy but just wanted you to know I've been there, and still am there.

P.S. quoting myself (one of my sayings) "depression's like a pit, you climb and crawl through the muck for a long time and for a while your almost there, basquing near freedom. But then some how you get pulled back in and start it all over again."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.