Emotions sense good and bad

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by MattMVS7, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

So... Crystal meth is good for you?

Michael 345 likes this.
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MattMVS7 Registered Senior Member

It wouldn't be good from a conceptual point of view. That is, it really would be a bad thing. However, to you, it would be a good thing if you wanted it. You would be having a value judgment towards that crystal meth in thinking it is something good to you. It would be bad for you since it would cause you harm. But as long as you wanted it, then you would be thinking it is a good thing to you.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I use crystal meth as a steak spice.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MattMVS7 Registered Senior Member

You see, there is the difference between things being good and bad (conceptual values) as opposed to having a value judgment of these said things being good or bad to us. That crystal meth would be bad for you, but you would be perceiving it as being something good as long as you wanted it.

8. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

What about the steak?

9. MattMVS7 Registered Senior Member

As long as you wanted the steak, then it would be good to you. If you abhorred the crystal meth on that steak, then it would be bad to you. So, you would be having two different thoughts here. If you abhorred the steak in general, then the steak would be bad to you. There are the types of good and bad values that things, moments, and situations have which we would call the conceptual values. I gave an example earlier with how crystal meth is bad and how a criminal robbing a store is bad. But in order to perceive these values, then you need wanting and unwanting. Without wanting, then you cannot see any of the good values in your life and without unwanting, you cannot see any of the bad values in your life. Since our positive emotions are an objective form of wanting and our negative emotions being an objective form of unwanting, then they are the only things that can allow us to see the good and bad values in our lives.

Lastly, thoughts of us wanting things always make us feel positive emotions while thoughts of us unwanting things always makes us feel negative emotions. When I say unwanting, I mean a negative response and not an apathetic response. Since good value judgments always make us feel positive emotions while bad value judgments always make us feel negative emotions, then it would follow from here that thoughts of things and situations being good to us can only be thoughts of wanting these things while things being bad to us can only be thoughts of things being unwanted to us.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  10. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

What if steak is my only source of food and I find that taste horrendous and sprinkling crystal meth is the only to stomach it?

What if crystal meth was a cure for cancer and people were just using it wrong?

11. MattMVS7 Registered Senior Member

If the steak was truly horrendous to you and you decided to eat it anyway, then you must go by the example I presented in my last paragraph. As long as you felt a negative emotion, then that whole situation would be bad to you. However, despite feeling negative, there could actually be a good value judgment there not allowing you to feel positive. So, there could be both a good value judgment and a bad value judgment going on at the same time. But, like I said, it is not the value judgments themselves that allow us to see good and bad value. It is only the emotions.

12. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

But, you don't deny the fact crystal meth could be a cure for cancer?

13. MattMVS7 Registered Senior Member

No, I don't deny this.

14. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

OK, you got me with semantics... "Fact" can have a different standard in different sciences and beyond science.

I was laughing at the stupidity of my posts.

15. MattMVS7 Registered Senior Member

I'm not sure how this is relevant to my theory. Could you explain what you mean by this if it has any relevance to my theory?

16. MattMVS7 Registered Senior Member

Let me actually clarify something here before I move on. There is the difference between conceptual values and our value judgments. For example, if there was a mother who was feeding vegetables to a little child and the mother said that these vegetables were good for him, but the child said he hated them, then these vegetables would be good and would be good for him. However, the child would not be seeing them as anything good since he hated them. This means that the vegetables would be good from a purely conceptual point of view while the child's value judgment would be a bad value judgment since he thought of them as being something bad. In order for this child to see these vegetables as being something good to him, then he would want to eat them or have them. The child cannot simply acknowledge the vegetables as having good value. He needs to actually want these vegetables in order to see them as something good.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  17. MattMVS7 Registered Senior Member

We currently believe that it is our value judgments and outlooks alone that allow us to see the value in our lives. I think this is a false myth. Many people wish to dismiss emotions as nothing more than emotions and say that it is instead the thought that counts. I think it is the other way around. I think it is instead the emotion that counts. This is a theory that I have learned from struggling with much emotional trauma, hopelessness, and misery in my life.

This is a world changing philosophy/theory of mine that would awaken humanity to their higher component (their emotions) and would encourage others to find cures for depression and other illnesses that take away our positive emotions. I am just saying it is a world changing theory just to get readers interested. It doesn't mean that it actually is. But who knows. It could be. You never know. I am going to present to you a logical argument that basically summarizes my whole theory. It is a logical argument that advocates hedonism as the only way to see value in our lives. Hedonism is the idea that pain=bad while pleasure=good.

My Hedonistic Logical Argument

1.) Wanting and liking something is the only way to see the good value and worth in said thing. Wanting something such as an exciting new video game or movie is the only way to see good value in that movie or game. Having no wanting and liking towards it would mean that it wouldn't matter to you and, thus, you wouldn't be seeing any good value in it. Or, according to premise #2, you would be seeing bad value in it.

2.) Not wanting something is the only way to see bad value in it. It would be a negative reaction such as not wanting anymore people around you. It would be a situation that would matter to you in a negative way and, thus, you would see bad value in it.

3.) Being in a completely apathetic state where you neither wanted, liked, nor did not want anything is the only way to see no value and worth in things. Nothing would matter to you at all and, thus, you would see no value in anything.

4.) Simply acknowledging that things have good and bad value in your life is not actually seeing the good and bad value that these things hold. If you were completely apathetic where nothing mattered to you at all and you just said something such as: "Meh, this is really good," then you wouldn't be seeing any good value in said thing. You would just be blurting out a thought in your mind or some spoken words.

5.) There is an objective form of wanting and liking. It would be our positive emotions. Here, I will quote this out to you:

6.) It would follow from premise #5 that our negative emotions would be an objective form of not wanting things (a negative response) while having neither positive nor negative emotions would be an objective form of things not mattering to you at all (a neutral response).

7.) Your level of wanting, not wanting, and neither wanting nor not wanting dictates the level of good, bad, or neutral value you see. If you really wanted something, then you would be seeing much good value in said stimulus. If you really did not want something, then you would be seeing much bad value in said stimulus. If you were very apathetic and nothing mattered to you at all, then you would be seeing much neutral value in said stimulus.

Therefore,

Conclusion:
    It is only our positive moods/emotions that allow us to see the positive qualities of life such as good value, worth, joy, love, beauty, etc., our negative moods/emotions that allow us to see the negative qualities of life such as bad value, suffering, misery, hate, torment, etc. Having neither positive nor negative moods/emotions would be a state of mind where nothing mattered to you at all and, thus, you would not be seeing any good or bad value in your life. Your level of positive and negative emotions dictates the level of good or bad value you see in your life. From this, I can gather that our emotions are like the sense of sight. They allow us to see the good and bad value in things just as how our sight allows us to see objects.

Having no sight would mean that no way of thinking or value judgment can allow you to see objects just as how no way of thinking, belief, outlook, or value judgment can allow us to see any good or bad value in our lives without our emotions. Therefore, seeing the value in our lives is not a matter of value judgment at all since it is not a thought form of awareness (perception). It is instead purely an emotional awareness. Our positive emotions are like a divine and sacred sense. They are like a divine light energy or force that is intrinsic goodness itself flowing through our very conscious being. Our negative emotions would be like a horrible and negative spiritual dark energy flowing through our conscious being.

Since I have presented to you this logical argument, it has now become quite obvious that we absolutely need our positive emotions to make our entire lives and atmosphere something perceived as profoundly beautiful, joyful, and good. Our positive emotions are like the divine and sacred light energy and water for a sacred plant. The plant needs this light energy and water to grow and thrive. Without them, then the plant will only wither away. In that same sense, we are like these sacred plants and we need the sacred light and water (our positive moods/emotions) for our conscious perception of good values and qualities to grow and thrive. Our positive emotions are simply a transcending and profoundly beautiful source of energy and growth for our consciousness.

Experiment

Now that I have presented this logical argument to you, I will now present to you the experiment that can be performed to prove that wanting things is the only way we can see the good value in things. If there were an item that a person said he did not want, but had to obtain anyway since he saw much good value in it, then how would this person respond once you take that item away from him? I am quite sure he would want that item. There is just no way he would be completely indifferent towards the situation of that item being taken away from him. As long as he is seeing much good value in that item, then this means the item is very important to him and, thus, he would want the item if you were to take it away from him. This experiment should discover evidence for my theory and make my theory known to the world.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  18. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

We do? Who is 'we'?

They do? Who are 'they'?

So, depression is simply an emotional state? We can feel our way out of it?
    Talk about setting the mental illness healthcare movement back a few decades...

"Just think happy thoughts!" and other damaging things insensitive people say to sufferers of depression.

Michael 345 likes this.
  19. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

20. MattMVS7 Registered Senior Member

According to the logical argument I have presented above, you cannot be depressed as long as you did not have any negative emotions. Depression and misery can only be negative emotional states. Since depression and misery are negative qualities of life and since it is only our negative emotions that can allow us to perceive negative qualities of life according to my logical argument, then depression and misery can only be negative emotional states.

21. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

And yet this is quite emphatically false. Depression is classed as a clinical diorder, not a voluntary state of mind.
    You would be set on fire if you tried to set back the progress that has been made in getting depression to be recognized.

You are treading on dangerous territory here, and you know not of what you speak.

“You can make the choice for depression and its effects, or against depression, it’s all in YOUR hands.”
    “You don’t like feeling that way? So, change it.”
    “Go out and get some fresh air… that always makes me feel better.”
    “You are what you think.”
    “Happiness is a choice”
    “Smile and the world smiles with you, cry and you cry alone.”
    “Try not being so depressed.”
    “Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.”
    “You need a hobby.”

22. MattMVS7 Registered Senior Member

I never said depression was voluntary. I simply said that depression was a negative mood/emotional state.

23. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

This is false.

Get yourself educated before you do some damage to someone with your ideas.