English - Second Language?

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by jinchilla, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

English is my second language since I am from Germany. This may sometimes result in spelling errors or grammatical issues. Alas, I am having the same problems in German if I am writing fast or my thoughts are faster than my hands. This results in strange word creations and also affects my sentece structure sometimes.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

English is my 2nd lang. After I started typing, I discovered I am slightly dyslexic.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

My thoughts are much faster than my fingers, and it better stay that way.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

You're really hysterical there, jaded.... sorry.......
    watamess......

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Gosh, NEVER would I think that!! I thought you were one nifty native speaker of English.

But I sometimes watch a Brasilian soap opera (hehe) -- and these people are just so chatty and so ... I don't know, they just speak a lot all the time. It must be that Portugese, but also Spanish, are a good substrate to plant English on.

Anyhow, English is my third language.

8. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

Fraggle Rocker: Falas português?

Podes me dizer qual é o proposito de saber Esperanto? Parece-me uma seca...

curioucity: I'm not hysterical, but people don't often realise that Portugal is not Spain, and is not Brazil.

RosaMagika: where are you from? Having "magic rose" as your screen name and watching Brazilian soaps hehe... Brazilians are a very happy group generally... at least all the 20 I know are jumpy and dancy and absolute party people... Portuguese tend to be grumpier.... hehe... and we have nothing to do with the Spanish

9. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Okay, I have apologized, so.............
    I read in my Geography books that while most SOuth-American Latin is quite Spanish-like, Brazilian's is somewhat Portugese, thus my comment.... if that's wrong, blame the writer, not me... I was just curious

10. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

South America is called Latin-America because the languages spoken all derive from Latin. No such thing as South American Latin. Latin is not spoken as anywhere's official language.

Brazil was colonized by the Portuguese, and we took the language over there (after mercilessly killing half the native population... but not as bad as Cortez <- Spanish who slaughtered the, I do believe it was, Incas).

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Eu posso ler e escrever português com ajuda dum dicionario. Não ha muitas oportunidades de fala-lo.
    Esperanto era mais popular quando eu era jovem. Ha 40-50 anos, havía muitos jovens que creíam “um mundo, uma gente, uma lingua.” A lingua é muito fázil de aprender, um mes basta. Era posível corresponder com muitos novos amigos em países estrangeiros e isto era muito interessante. Hoje meus amigos esperantistas são velhos como eu, aínda alguns são mortos. Em verdade, agora a lingua não tem interesse para os jovens.

Onde vive vc, que se diz "tu" em vez de "você"? Os cariocas não dizem "tu" e "vos", eu não sei conjugar os verbos! Provavelmente são parecidos com os espanhois. "Tu diste", "vos disteis"?
    “Latin America” isn’t just South America. It customarily includes Central America as well as Mexico, which is part of North America. Most “Latin Americans” take it to mean the entire Western Hemisphere except the U.S. and Canada. The official language of most of the people in the Caribbean nations is either Spanish or French.

12. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

Português tem pouco haver com Espanhol, e diga-se de passagem que o Brazileiro também é completamente diferente. Confesso que não sei conjugar verbos, mas sei que quando perciso deles, eles saiem com facilidade.
    Como é mais velho que eu, tenho que usar o "você", mas nunca o trataria por você porque é considerado falta de educação em Portugal. O Brazileiro não tem isso, porque basta tratar toda a gente por "vc" e não há faltas de educação. Portanto, eu o trataria por "o". 'Tou a fazer algum sentido?

Either way, congrats

Great Portuguese. I like English because you treat everyone the same way, despite age

13. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

what do you mean by that, on the internet everybody is "anonymous" age/gender it all flowers in to 1 unless you "identify" your self.

Portuguese looks hard, i can only read very few key words, to little to gues what it says

Meeeen jeg kunne sikkert prop det igennem bablefish, og finde ud af hva fan det er i fabler om.

14. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Speaking of which Kunax, I suddenly feel tickled to define that in the net everyone's either nonymous, semi-nonymous or pseudononymous......
    Some nice fellows may just tell everyone "Hey, this is my name, then I'm here, you can call me at this number in case you wanna visit.." etc
    Others may just say " well, you know I'm a teenager, so just treat me such."
    While some wicked ones may... well, you know what I'm saying.....

For example, I'm rather a semi-nonymous, because I haven't told you all about me, though I've given some true info about myself

And about language, or in particluar, European, I actually took a german class once, but after finishing the basic, I lost interest and thus stopped, so now I can barely speak German as well.....

Well, Auf wiederschreiben for now

15. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Interest is proberly 1 of the most importent think to have when learning new things, language included and added to that it decays fast if not used.

But german is not my cup of cocao eather so auf WinerSnitsel yourself.

16. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Whoops, sorry if you're not interested in German.....

But that expression's funny

How did you make it up?

17. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

just word games, like yours

18. mouse can't sing, can't dance Registered Senior Member

English is my second language. Dutch first, German third. I still have some regrets about learning German. I rarely use it, and at the time I selected it in favor of biology.

Having a rather exotic first language (if not by sound, then certainly measured by number of speakers) puts me in a strange position when I feel like writing. Should I focus on my native language in which I can obviously express myself better, or should I aim for a much larger audience and go for English?

19. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Kunax, rofl

Well, my expression is only part word-play actually.... typically, German's 'see ya' expression is either auf wiedersehen (for face to face talk; sehen = to see) or auf wiedersprechen (for phone talk; sprechen = to speak)..... and considering that schreiben = to write... I twist it a bit

But hell..... I haven't seen german here too lol... what a pioneer hehehehe

and mouse, well, hmm, gee I don't have a comment

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

We have the saying in Dutch:

Auf wiedersnitzel.

(a parody on the german: auf wiedersehen)

21. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Dänisch ist eine extrem dämliche Sprache möchte ich an dieser Stelle einmal sagen.

Those who cannot read this, too bad.

Hehe, you start I´ll follow.

22. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

with knowledge of English, German and Scandinavian its possible for me to gues my way true basic Dutch.

Am i wrong in saying Dutch was a old trading language peices together by Germans, Englishs and Scandinavians trying to understand eachother.

mouse go with Dutch, just to bug people with there lack of understanding of it

lol compared to german, danish is a cake walk

Edit: i think i'm getting dämliche wrong

, damn my german sucks
    Danish is a extrem X language, i have to say in the first place.

Last edited: May 4, 2004
  23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

My bunny nowadays tends to say auf wiedersnitzel:

see the end of this page