Enlightenment vs. Detachment

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by VitalOne, Sep 24, 2005.

1. VitalOne Banned Banned

I've been wondering...what is the difference between Enlightenment and Detachment

Because I've been having frequent experiences that give me the perfect bliss, and it feels like the material world is just like a dream, a mirage, a complete, meaningless illusion, and I have no cares or worries, its like nothing really matters, I just surrender to my natural state of ecstasy.

But is this state detachment or enlightenment? And what's the real difference?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

VitalOne:

I wouldn't get too hung up over semantics.

Could you describe these 'frequent experiences' that give you bliss? I've read a few books of borrowed eastern philosophy which describes these experiences as gaps in 'psychological time'. And that with practice you can make those experiences happen more and more through the use of drugs/meditation/etc... and if you become an expert at this, supposedly, this can be your regular state of mind. It can then be said that you are 'enlightened'. If you choose.

From a scientific perspective, it seems like this process of reclaiming your mind is actually just a process of conditioning your mind so it seems more that you're controlling your mind and not vice-versa.

I would say there is no difference between detachment and enlightenment as long as those words are taken in the right context.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. VitalOne Banned Banned

It all started when I read this in the Srimad Bhagavatam:

"Actually, the living entity is transcendental to material existence. But because of his mentality of lording it over material nature, his material existential condition does not cease, and, just as in a dream, he is affected by all sorts of disadvantages"

"Although while dreaming a person experiences many undesirable things, upon awakening he is no longer confused by the dream experiences"

So then I just imagined waking up from this "dream", just like any other dream, and then it began to feel as if I was sleeping (mentally), but still consciously awake. I felt completely detached from the material world. Then I felt this type of perfect bliss, it isn't like pain or pleasure, it's like this type of joy.

I also felt this type of sensation on the top of my head.

I'm unsure of whether or not that is detachment or not. But whatever it was, it was great.

As I started to engage more in "material" activities, the state ceased, but if I do the samething again, I can kind of get back into the state.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rick Valued Senior Member

well first of all bfore i get sober or serious : how old are u?

i would reply based on that, 'cause i dont like talking to old ppl in wrong way. one must show respect. but if u"re a dude that i am hoping u to be. well dude get over it. we are here to enjoy first. we"ll talk abt it when we both enter our 50s or more may be. well for me it"ll be after 60s.u decide for urself.

(God there are so many ladies here, how can anyone be thinking of detachment?) enlightenment? well yea i am enlightened sure.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Later
    Rick

8. VitalOne Banned Banned

Actually, I'm young. I was thinking of all that sh*t too, but then I realized I don't like living in the persistant highs and lows BS, you can have sex if you're detached (don't know about enlightened)...in fact...the sex will be MUCH better too

I think if you're detached, everything will be the same, except you'll be in your natural state, you'll still have your personality and stuff

9. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

i spend a lot of time in this state of consciousness. at times i feel it more intensely, at times i lose it and have to consciously seek it but as i develop it is becoming more consistent and a normal state of my mind.

this is kundalini fire. in your crown chakra. when you become aware of this sensation again focus on the sensation. feel what qualities it has, these sensations can then be enhanced. as when you become aware of your breathing you can enhance your breath and its effects. you may also feel these sensations at other centres in your body.

as to your question of enlightnement, does it really matter?
    you probably had two expereinces at the same time you experienced something you call detachment and you expereinced something you called enlightenment. it may be that they appear to be the same thing because they where part of the same expereince, but i may be wrong.

10. duendy Registered Senior Member

The usual interpretation of 'enlightenment' both Eastrn and Western new age actually means some form of 'detach-ment'---ie., form emotions, and Nature/the material world.

Buddhism for example is popularly known for enouraging detachment from emotional desire and so on, wit a goal to eventua release from the 'wheel of birth and death'.

How i see this belief system is that it originates in a psychological sparation between Nature.sensuality and'spirit'/mind

ok?

looking at your actual experience:

you say you have experiences bliss via a sense of detachmnnt from the senses? i challenge that interpretatin. you are HAVING these experiences AS body--as a sensual being. so it makes no sense to preten you are beYOND sensuality. for in order to experience bliss implies sensual awareness!

so, in other words, all tis talk--doesn' matter how long its been going on--about detachment is phony. is a scam set by pople who seek to tie you to their. or at least that was original intention for the monks etc who fell for it

so what is 'enlightenment'....again, it has been propigated that there is a stae of enlightenment one can PERMANENTLY acquire.......usually via 'detachment'. but as i am ponting out all of tat is phony--fo me. findout tis for yourself. dont trust me , trust yourself.--
    i would say we are more a continuum of experiene. tismeans -------sometimes we may feel enlightened, sometimes shitty, sometimes horny, somtimes down, sometimes argumentative, sometimes buzzing...ge the picture. we are dynamic beings, but isms have attemtped to fossilize us in expected dream that cannot be realistically fulfilled, but keep the punter always 'trying' and making some fuk rich in the process

does this help?

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

You'd better detach yourself to become enlightned about this small problem.

12. water the sea Registered Senior Member

OFF TOPIC:

Duendy posted the quote tags properly! Yay!!

13. Raimon Registered Member

If somebody starts telling about how he feels "detached from everyday's BS" and goes on like "even sex is better then" then I get the strong impression that he's trying to detach himself from responsibility instead of getting enlightened.
    Just my POV, sorry.

14. Rajagopals Registered Senior Member

When bliss is over, what is left is misery.

Enlightenment is about leaving both misery and bliss !

Detachment is only about leaving misery.

15. Solve Banned Banned

Looking for enlightenment is a waste of time, positive action and efforts are far better than waiting for a God who may or may not exist. Least that is the Satanistic view I prefer to follow....Prayer and enlightenment is tedious, the way to go is to get and up and do it....Well, there's one view any way!

16. Roman Banned Banned

Attached sex is fucking awesome. Unfortunately, detaching from it hurts. Lots.

apendrapew,
    What do you mean by gaps in psychological time? Would that be like sitting contemplating the tableclothe and then realize you've just lost an hour, staring at it, or having a ten minutes stretch out into hours?

17. duendy Registered Senior Member

well, surely that'd mean 'bliss' for you. what are you moanin about?..heh

18. Raimon Registered Member

okay, what in my opinion 'Detachment' means is actually gaining more distance to be able to overview larger parts of the whole picture.
    Only therafter can occur 'Enlightenment' which in this scenario is then gaining the additional ability to actually look at that bigger part from various viewpoints instead of sticking to only one single preferred angle.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Detachment is often deliberate. But, if not, it is as good an analogy as any for enlightenment. I have noticed I feel more involved than ever, but with different things, in a different way. Mostly not in the stupidity of culture, but more involved in things like trees and clouds, natural stuff.

20. VitalOne Banned Banned

Actually, sex will be a lot better....

You'll have the ability to control when you want to ejaculate, allowing you to have sex for as long as you want.

Also I remember reading one scripture it said in the Satya Yuga, sex will be a lot better than in this Kali Yuga.

Also the guy that said enlightenment is about leaving bliss and misery, I disagree. Surely you will leave material bliss and material misery, but you'll have true bliss.

Detachment is about leaving both material misery and bliss leaving you to experience true bliss, I think.

Does anyone really know the difference?

21. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

i dont think detachment is about leaving anything. it is about not being attached. being non-attached. it is being non-dependent of external factors.

some people here have described detachment as a kind of avoidance behaviour. my understanding is that it is more an indifference. not being aroused or subdued by events or objects and therefore not being reliant on those external factors to set the tempo of the internal rythm.

enlightenment is an expereince of itself and perhaps may include the expereince of non-attachemnt.

22. water the sea Registered Senior Member

You'll just have to find a partner who will want to have sex for as long as you, and who won't get bored ...

23. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

VitalOne,

Prolonged detachment leads to enlightnment.
    But try to stay on it, and you will see why attaining enlightenment is so fucking hard....

Yaba Daba :m: