Entanglement. What is it, how does it work?

Discussion in 'Alternative Theories' started by quantum_wave, Jun 4, 2014.

1. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

But of course it is action not communication which again is why these threads get sent to the fringe secion.
    From Magical Realist's cited article:

Whereas the result may sound like a way to send faster-than-light messages, it isn't, really

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Yet more reasons that this is in the fringe section! The article does not say, "Entanglement has even been show to operate from the future to the past"!

Why do people lose their minds when when entanglement is mentioned?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

"Scientists in the Netherlands have moved a step closer to overriding one of Albert Einstein’s most famous objections to the implications of quantum mechanics, which he described as “spooky action at a distance.”

In a paper published on Thursday in the journal Science, physicists at the Kavli Institute of Nanoscience at the Delft University of Technology reported that they were able to reliably teleport information between two quantum bits separated by three meters, or about 10 feet.

Quantum teleportation is not the “Star Trek”-style movement of people or things; rather, it involves transferring so-called quantum information — in this case what is known as the spin state of an electron — from one place to another without moving the physical matter to which the information is attached.

Classical bits, the basic units of information in computing, can have only one of two values — either 0 or 1. But quantum bits, or qubits, can simultaneously describe many values. They hold out both the possibility of a new generation of faster computing systems and the ability to create completely secure communication networks.

A forest of optical elements that was part of the quantum teleportation device used by the team of physicists in the Netherlands. Credit Hanson lab@TUDelft

Moreover, the scientists are now closer to definitively proving Einstein wrong in his early disbelief in the notion of entanglement, in which particles separated by light-years can still appear to remain connected, with the state of one particle instantaneously affecting the state of another.

They report that they have achieved perfectly accurate teleportation of quantum information over short distances. They are now seeking to repeat their experiment over the distance of more than a kilometer. If they are able to repeatedly show that entanglement works at this distance, it will be a definitive demonstration of the entanglement phenomenon and quantum mechanical theory.

Succeeding at greater distances will offer an affirmative solution to a thought experiment known as Bell’s theorem, proposed in 1964 by the Irish physicist John Stewart Bell as a method for determining whether particles connected via quantum entanglement communicate information faster than the speed of light.

“There is a big race going on between five or six groups to prove Einstein wrong,” said Ronald Hanson, a physicist who leads the group at Delft. “There is one very big fish.”

In the past, scientists have made halting gains in teleporting quantum information, a feat that is achieved by forcing physically separated quantum bits into an entangled state."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

LOL! Quote from that exact same article:

"Scientists have entangled particles in such a way that a future decision can affect the past states of the particles."

Why are supposed science gurus in this group the last to know about breaking new developments in science?

8. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

First this is not exactly breaking news. Secondly, the bolded statement as it stands implys that causality is broken, which is not correct. A more thorough explanation of the process is given here.

I am having trouble getting to the actual paper and can only seem to find articles about the paper (maybe I deleted the paper in the future!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

). The bottom line is causality is not violated which means you cannot literally change the past by an action in the future.

9. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Then you're more behind the news than I thought..

And here's a quote from that article:

"Aharonov and his co-workers describe an experiment for a large group of entangled particles. They argue that, under certain conditions, the experimenter's choice of a measurement of the states of the particles can be shown to affect the states that the particles were in at an earlier time, when a very loose measurement was made. In effect, the earlier "weak" measurement anticipates the choice made in the later "strong" measurement."

"A physicist who has been looking for evidence that causality can go backward in time says he's making progress on nailing down the theoretical foundations for such quantum weirdness.

For years, the University of Washington's John Cramer has been trying to set up an experimental apparatus that would demonstrate what's known as "quantum nonlocal communication" — a characteristic of quantum mechanics that implies what you do to one entangled particle could affect what happens to a different particle earlier in time.

When Cramer started working on the crowdfunded experiment in 2007, he expected either to find evidence of such retrocausality — which would blow our minds — or to find out that subtle quantum effects kept spoiling the experiment.

So far, Cramer's own experiments have played out according to the latter, less exciting scenario. But the physicist says he's been having "very fruitful discussions" with Anton Zeilinger and his colleagues at the Institute for Quantum Optics and Quantum Information in Vienna. Like Cramer, Zeilinger is a pioneer in the study of quantum physics' spooky implications, including retrocausality.

"I learned a lot," Cramer told NBC News in an email. "Result: After returning to Seattle, I was able to develop quantum mechanical calculations that reproduce the unpublished data of Zeilinger's group in testing an entangled photon setup similar to mine. These quantum calculations also point to a way of implementing nonlocal signaling."

Cramer said the new scheme differs significantly from his previous experimental setups and needs to be tested. "I'm presently working on generating funding for that test," he wrote."---NBC News

10. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I am way behind, I still don't even believe in all of the monsters that you do....

Yep, like I said causality is not violated. If Cramer is successful and it ever happens my mind will be officially blown (like *poof* dude).

11. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

Just based on your above quote...

It would equally accurate to say that a weak measurement in the past, influenced the results of a strong measurement in the present, or can be predictive of future strong measurements.

12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

So the past event somehow forsaw what choice was going to be made in the future and responded accordingly. That's just another way of saying the future choice determined the past event.

13. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

because most people are scared sh*tless by the intuitive knowledge (truth) that they are just as entangled with the particles as the particles are with each other ...that's why...
    The intuitive fear associated with evidencing psychic entanglement [ spooky - paranormal ] leads to all sorts of strange paranoid behaviors. You only have to critically read the thread I had about delta t=0 from a psychological/psychiatric perspective to see that.

Collective consciousness here we come.... woo woooh!

14. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

I didn't actually say entanglement isn't weird. What I should have said is that complex numbers and the complex plane aren't weird, and entanglement can be represented in this domain in terms of superposition.

But superposition is more general than entanglement, the latter is in the domain of measurement, which is where the weirdness seems to undermine our concepts of space and time as 'rigid' or even linear.
    '

15. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Certainly the issue of linear time is one seriously needing a rethink, IMO

16. CptBork Valued Senior Member

I see, so total angular momentum conservation = electrons like ice cream?

17. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

so what makes you think particles can ONLY be entangled by artificial means?
    eh... only kidding... entanglement is not a natural phenomena and is only something we can construct in a lab environment...eh?

/edit/ and ice-cream is not included...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014