Enterprise theme song

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by CounslerCoffee, Oct 6, 2001.

1. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

It was a very bold step to have a sung theme rather than an orchestral piece, as in the other Treks. HLewis is quite right that it reflects the mood of the 22nd Century era which Enterprise is trying to depict - a time of progress, optimism and looking forward, just as in the old American frontier days. The song is an attempt to give Star Trek a fresher-faced, less stuffy image - it's important that it not become a stagnant genre monster. I don't see why people would disapprove.

It took me a while, but by season 2 I was actually thinking of Scott Bakula as Captain Jonathan Archer - instead of Dr. Sam Beckett. Anyone know if he's actually said "Oh Boy!" on Enterprise at all? Given the series' preoccupation with time travel, perhaps there is some still-unrevealed causal link to a secret 20th-Century research program known as Quantum Leap?

Last edited: May 26, 2004
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Why was this thread viewed more than 12,000 times?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

This is the first thread that I ever started on sciforums, almost three years ago.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Worst Theme Song Ever!!!

Who ressurected it? I'm going to guess Logically Unsound. I wonder if I'm right

Edit: Damn!! I'm wrong. Sorry Unsound. I noticed you had a propensity for bringing back the old dead threads.

8. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Logically Unsound he may call himself (herself?); but it's eminently logical to look for old, long-neglected threads on a particular topic before you start a new one. I imagine that avoiding thread duplication reducing the loading on the SciForums server.

9. now there's an opening theme song!!!!
    a little bit of snippits from several Star Treks, even a hint of 'Galaxy Quest' woven into it, great!
    Listen, you'll love it!!!

10. starshiptrooper Registered Member

song is lame

the Calling song is really good but the enterprise theme song is lame for a sci fi show. It should be a theme song for some drama or sitcom. It reminds me of the songs "Greatest American Hero theme", "Betty Davis Eyes" and "It's a heartache" all in one. Any men that like this theme song, can you look yourself in the mirror?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Karbev Registered Member

Enterprise intro

I liked the enterprise INTRO so much ,but guys what will the song be on the new startrek that will come out in 2009,the summer

12. kenny782 Registered Member

I can see how alot of people might not like the song. It's not exactly what most people listen too now lol.

But personally I liked it and think it really fit the series well.
    I mean if you step back and ignore the music if you don't like it, and just listen to the words.

What is the series? After all those years it's mankind making it's first real leap into deep space, into exploring the unknown, testing new technology.

And at the same time the vulcan's trying to hold them back feeling there not ready.

While I had nothing against the other theme's I just think this on fit the story line well.

I was sorry to see the series go. I didn't like it at first but once I got into it I got hooked.
    I think that was the main problem, most people didn't give it a chance.
    They didn't like it the first time and just never watched it again.

That storyline had room for at least another season.

Kenny

13. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Wow... I posted in this thread 7 years ago.

14. kenny782 Registered Member

Well I saw two people replied this year so I figured what the hell lol

15. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

Braiiins...BRAINS! This thread has come back to eat our brains. There is no other explanation.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Danish Registered Member

And so the thread continues, almost ten years since it started. However, its still relevant since I just started watching Star Trek Enterprise on Netflix. When the theme first came on I fell on the floor laughing. The feel of the song doesn't make any sense in regards to the rest of the show.

17. Telemachus Rex Protesting Mod Stupidity Registered Senior Member

I think the link was intended to be that Enterprise was the first major expedition by humans into the galaxy. They were supposed to be pioneering explorers in the grand tradition of Lewis and Clark and that song an expression of (very Roddenberrian) optimism about what humanity could accomplish.

If you wanted a ode to explorers as a theme song, it seems like it fit pretty well. If you wanted a song that was not cloying pablum, that is a different story.

That said the montage of various achievements in the history of exploration and aviation and related milestones was perfectly fine. They just needed to change the song. That would, of course, not have saved that show.

18. Danish Registered Member

I agree. The visuals fit the theme. When I first saw the intro I thought one of my browser's other tabs had reloaded and was streaming an advertisement. After closing each tab it turned out that it was indeed Enterprise's theme song. I guess you can say that this show was "bold to go where no man has gone before" by choosing the style but a theme song either works or it doesn't, regardless of what you are trying to do. It doesn't work.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The song was all about faith, not science. It's a travesty. The style was questionable but I could live with it.

21. Telemachus Rex Protesting Mod Stupidity Registered Senior Member

I don't think the show was much about science either, it was just about humanity's first steps into the galactic ocean and (towards the end) humanity overcoming its petty insularity to build a grand and utopian future (while at the same time teaching that same lesson to other species).

Again, it was consistent with what I think Roddenberry would have conceded for a prequel...since the prequel began with the utopian Federation already in existence. The TOS Enterprise had to travel to either alien worlds outside the Federation or into the past to find most of its conflict.

Having "faith" of the sort discussed in that song is equivalent to having hope or, generally, optimism that the singer will prevail over all the bad things that could come his way. As a theme, that's not out of place (in fact, if humanity doubted it's ability to overcome potential hardships that might arise, then venturing out and broadcasting the galaxy where we are would seem to be a dreadful idea).

Plus the song included the prominent lines,"I can reach any star," and "I will see my dreams come alive at last. I can touch the sky".

Rod Stewart should be burned as a witch for that song, but I can see how, thematically it fits with humanity's first organized efforts at exploring the galaxy and with the more general theme of the formation of the Federation as humanity rids itself of the last vestiges (what Roddenberry, at least, would consider) barbarism.

22. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Have you heard the alternative universe version of the theme song? It's from a few episodes featuring a universe in which the Nazis won WW2 and humans become space fascists. I like it better than the normal theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk1NK8AXepk

This version is even better, it starts off with an alternate version of the famous first contact between humans and vulcans. The even got most of the same actors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-DEDyv-E8I&feature=related