Epiphany

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Bowser, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Epiphany:

An epiphany is an experience of a sudden and striking realization. Generally the term is used to describe scientific breakthrough, religious or philosophical discoveries, but it can apply in any situation .

So, have you any to share?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

Yes, when I had a thought comfirmed. There was this person who seems to want to ''talk'' about things, but really just wants to put their bigoted ideas across.
    Well, I have since found out his wife is a Reverend in one of those ten a penny religions they have in the States.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

And that realization changed your life? Or your world-view? Or your morality?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Just today, on another forum, I read that liberals are more likely to have "aha" moments than conservatives.

8. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Okay. Let's see if they can share them on this thread.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Edit: Bob, I see you replied to my Alias thread. Don't know that I will get back to it, but thanks.

9. billvon Valued Senior Member

The day I realized that many of my female friends have been raped.
    The day I realized that I don't see much of the injustice in the world simply because I'm white, male and straight - and that's a privileged position in our society.
    The day I realized that even staunchly anti-abortion people sometimes have reasons to get abortions - and that they, not me (or the government) should make that decision.

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  10. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

We've got four so far.

11. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

That must have been one traumatic day! Like Paul falling off his mule on the Damascus road.

I had one something like that the day I realized that that ravings of an acquaintance we'd considered mad had been right on the mark - and this was fifteen or so years late.

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

Well, three separate days, and not all of them happened at once. Some of them took a while before I realized "holy shit, this isn't a one-off thing."

13. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

It's the holy-shit moment [the synthesis] that's counted as an epiphany, by whatever route you arrived at it; the stops along the way are mere revelations.

14. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

several
    though i am unlikely to share any of them on here.
    not being one to kick the walking stick out from under a cripple, i wonder if the term "peter-pan syndrome" applies to the type of person your referring to.
    often such temperament matched with mediocrity & ambivalence are covering for chemical depression that is off set like a form of borderline schizophrenia in waiting.
    Coping with just being nothing is as much as they can cope with to remain in a semi balanced state.
    personal development is superseded by the absolute critical need to remain flat and not start going into a psychological dive that appears to have no end.
    in the usa im sure the condition is equally likely to be a serial killer(or some-other such similar type of personality) half the time.

sweetpea likes this.
  15. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

Morality never changes, it just has its label switched to different plates on a regular basis.

Conservative "aha moments" are double down bets on re-affirming what they already believe as an ideology or the process of smashing something with a stick until they can smash it through a round hole to make their ideology fit.
    note conservative crime and punishment ideology/law-policy/political ideological policy's.
    along side social engineering policy's & indoctrination policy's for school children.

so in reality a conservative 'aha' is a "i Told you so, hit it again with the stick"

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  16. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

when i was a young child, realising that many people had, had terrible things happen in their lifes, but they decided to continue living and not let it turn them into an evil person.
    ... and then learning that many people who seem evil are just messed up in the head and not truly evil.
    and that many truly evil people self label as Christians so they can hide among other Christians which in turn makes it sightly more tricky to try and figure out how evil they are.

... most bad things that happen are done by people in a specific age range
    10 years old to 25 years old
    they grow out of such behaviour mostly.
    most do
    the American criminal system that targets such people turns them into life long criminals instead of rehabilitating them.
    thats a bit of a big issue
    its very difficult to convince religious nut jobs and the greedy sociopaths to not make offender rehabilitation an equal priority to basic law enforcement.
    ... most people lie and lie about such things to others and you would probably lock up most of America for life with the 3 strikes policy.
    i have met many adults who were systematically sexually physically and psychologically tortured for years as children and teenagers.
    you would never be able to pick them out from talking with them and they dont run about trying to tell everyone what they can do in their personal lifes and judging people all the time like the political normalcy that is bandied about by political manipulators. .

17. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Okay.

18. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

though i just have above in my last post.
    but peoples desires to not infringe on their propped up fragile ego worlds tends to detract from the actualisational concept of factualised precepts toward the reality of epiphany
    this lends well to a sense of ambivalence.

as you well know.
    its not a perfect world

19. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Okay.

20. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  21. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

I live in a small world and as such I can have epiphanies very easily over the seemingly most simple things. I should get out more.
    I see and hear about these ''religious'' people in the States on the tv news. Not living in the States I can only take the word of the news media. But, now thanks to the web and this site, I have proof the image I formed of these ''religious'' people is correct.

22. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I had one at university, while studying my quantum chemistry supplementary subject. For the first time I became able to think of quantum entities in terms of their mathematics, without resorting to a mental "picture" of what was happening. This way of thinking, I am sure, is how mathematical physicists approach their subject and the freedom it gives one from inadequate "pictures" is tremendous.

Up to then I had always tacitly assumed that the maths in models was just a way of quantifying a pictorial, "physical" representation of some sort. The insight that models in science do not need to be "pictorial" at all is something that has never left me, even though the ability to think of the physical world purely in maths was gone within a year of taking my finals.

Bowser and sweetpea like this.
  23. billvon Valued Senior Member

I have not found that to be the case. They do what they like, and what they can get away with.
    Sometimes, yes. The US system is pretty good at getting kids (under 16 or so) into treatment rather than prison. But when that fails, often the best you can do is keep them away from the public so that they are not a threat.
    So have I. And it is very sad that those sexual abusers were free to do that to kids.