Equivalent to Religion Feeling

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by toltec, Dec 16, 2010.

1. toltec Registered Senior Member

I'm a born non-believer, raised in an non-believing family. I've never been to church, never prayed, never had a religious feeling.

So when people say to me they have a religious/spirital (or whatever you care to call it) feeling/experience (again whatever you care to call it) when in church, in life, in prayer or wherever. Simply explaining a sensation to someone who has never had it doesn't work so I was wondering if either atheists who were formally religious or religious people could explain this to me by providing an equivalent example

For example sensations I feel are like awe when I saw the pyramids or the view from the top of a mountain. The emotion from music or death scenes in movies. The feeling of mystery wandering through stonehenge or the primeval sensation of walking through a graveyard at midnight after watching a horror movie.

The strange etherial feeling I get when I watch this has always been what I most imagine religion to be, perhaps I'm wrong?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZvBOnoNQzQ

I'm non-religious, but actually I don't know what I'm non. So I'm non-? And if someone can convince me the sensation I'm missing is akin to sex, you never know I may convert............

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Question, is there something non-religious by which you could use to explain to me the sensation by?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

being a non-religious "believer" i guess you could say (look at my thread What Am I?) i can understand this feeling. At times, i look back and see that some of the experiences were simply me convincing myself i was having these experiences, when in reality nothing was happening. Ive had drug-related experiences, so thats of course always an outside stimulant causing such spiritual experiences. Im not sure if ive truly felt god, but i may of. Of course, it may of been a delusional thing caused by my faith driven brain.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Reverence

Start with reverence as an anchor point, and work your way outward from there.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

8. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Forget religion and praying and the Bible and angels and all that stuff. You never contemplated there being more to reality or existence then the Universe as shown? You never asked yourself if there is a God? Never??

9. toltec Registered Senior Member

Certainly not, why on earth would I? If you are brought up in a religious environment I can understand that. But it's a totally absurd thing for someone in a religious vacuum to do.

10. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

Even being as anti-religion as I am, even i encourage you to do an inner search. God can be more than just a big dude sitting on a throne telling us what to do. Even I, who believe in God, offen question if there is or is not a god, and if the one i believe in even exsists. Its a healthy thing for human beings to do. Just, no church. Fuck church. haha

11. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

perhaps i'm wrong, but i find it extremely hard to believe that you and your family have existed in a vacuum.

certainly you haven't existed in a location so remote and isolated that you had never heard of the idea of god.

12. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

Lori for example, would be someone good to talk about that believes in God, but isnt a fucking idiot. Yay intelligence!

13. toltec Registered Senior Member

Nope in a country so irreligious we never get to see the thing, people that do have a god keep quiet out of embarrassment for mentioning their belief out loud as it would encourage mockery and derision from those around.

14. toltec Registered Senior Member

If you live in a world without god, it is absurd to start contemplating one. Should I contemplate pink fairies? pink fairies with one red leg? pink fairies with one green leg that a moody on a sunday afternoon? pink faires with one blue leg that are moody on a sunday afternoon and vote conservative? I

The amount of random things I can comtemplate are far too enourmous to begin a speculative journey without some basis of reality to begin with.

15. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

Hey, maybe they are such things. I live, most importantly, with an open mind. Now, these pink faires outta rethink voting conservative, they right seems to be quite afraid of anything that may be homosexual. goddamn biggots.
    Anywho, just a suggestion. I think its a healthy thing for every person to ask him or herself. Personaly, i plan on letting DMT open my mind just a little more to the spirtual world

16. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

well that's not very nice...conformity and oppression.

would it kill you to think outside the box? are you afraid to because of the conformity and oppression? if it helps any, god has never given me the impression that it's a pink fairy, or a fairy of any color or kind.

17. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

just so you know, i didn't need any drugs to invite god into my life, and god is trippier than any drug out there i assure you.

be careful about what you invite into your life. the holy spirit isn't the only spirit out there.

18. toltec Registered Senior Member

I think out of the box all of the time but my life is finite and of the billion, trillion, gazillion fanciful ideas out there I can potentially think of, I will in my lifetime only be able to think of a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a trillionth of a percent of them. So why would I want to think of one pretty uncreative version of the god botherer one amongst the plenitude?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  19. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

haha i know i know. But hey, why not give it a wing

And trust me, i know o.0

20. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

what does "god botherer" mean?

what if you get to live forever? what if you're not just physical? what if you were to commune with the creator of the universe and everyone around you? with nature?

would that change your fraction?

21. toltec Registered Senior Member

What if!!!!!

What if you're the imagination of the imagination of the imagination of a pink fairy?

Would that change your above question

You can go down the road of fanciful statements, but you'll only end up in ridiculousville. Which is why speculation has to be based on some kind of reasonable grounding. :m:

22. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

hehe pot leaf... i want some pot...

23. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Then you are inconsolable and lost.