et al. In endnote. HELP!

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by alexb123, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Endnote is driving me MAD (although it might be me)!

Does anyone know why if I put et al. into a reference, endnote will abbreviate it to "e. a."?

Is this correct? Will people (with more knowledge than me) read this and know its et al? If not how do I get it to just print et al?

This is driving me mad, help would be great

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kira Valued Senior Member

One alternative, you can change it in the "format bibliography" over here:

There are different styles you can choose. Sorry, can't suggest you which style (coz my Endnote in this PC is expired, have to use the one in the office, but now is a holiday), you can scroll it yourself.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kira Valued Senior Member

Also, you shouldn't manually type "et al" in the reference part of the Endnote (or in the world document, ain't gonna work), because it will automatically think that the first name of the author is E. A. You type all the author names, and it will abbreviate them into et al automatically (depending on the style of you choose). To write the author names, you type it with line breaks INSIDE the author box names, like this:
    R.A. Miller
    E.G. Nazarov
    G.A. Eiceman
    A.T. King​
    Endnote will quote it as Miller et al.

Additional info:
    I cannot explain it better without the program, but more or less, do it like this:
    - open your EndNote library, it will display all the references that you have
    - double click the reference that you want to quote into the word document
    - you'll see the place where you can put the author names
    - the rest is as I said above
    - don't forget to save it, because unlike inserting new reference, editing reference isn't automatically saved.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kira Valued Senior Member

I have added some edit. Just in case. Try the step in post #3 first, before trying #2. The #3 should work.

8. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Many thanks kira. Is there anyway to stop endnote thinking et al is part of the name? I don't always know all of the names, so I can't get the program to covert it to et al on its own.

Endnote so far seems more hassle than its worth. I think putting the refs at the end of each chapter would work better. And then copy and paste all of the refs at the end and put them in to one big word doc and just search that if I need to at a later date.

9. kira Valued Senior Member

I don't quite understand this.. you want to quote some statement, but you don't know all of the names of the authors (that made the statement), so how did you find the statement in the first place?

EndNote is very handy if we know how to use it, especially when you work with a large database of literature and working with a long report, but to each of his own, I guess.

10. kira Valued Senior Member

Here is a trick, though. Let say the first author is R. A. Miller and you don't know the rest of the authors, but you want it to appear as et al. instead of just Miller, R. A. so what if you make up some names in the EndNote reference box, for example:
    R. A. Miller
    x. y. test
    x. z. test

So that it will automatically display Miller et al., because there is more than two authors and the rest of the authors names are irrelevant anyway (in an et al. form). Anyway, I have no EndNote in my PC at the moment, so I am afraid I can't help more.

11. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Many thanks kira. I'm sure its a great program I'm just having problems getting to grips with it. But all done now. Cheers for your help.

12. kira Valued Senior Member

You're welcome, Alex.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.