Ethics of Social Sciences..or not

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Taffy Wake, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Taffy Wake Registered Senior Member

I posted this in an ethics forum, and now I'm interested in what (?) predominantly American people with an interest in Science might think...

The most delightful philosphy lecturer, last week, opened my eyes to the tacit discrimination that the social sciences practise every day against religion. (and other areas, but specifically religion as so many students of Soc Sci have some kind of faith)

I hereby declare myself a fundamentalist prosletysing atheist(with generations of proud atheistic lineage), but my conscience started to prickle when I realised how GOD is always bracketed and although faith is discussed in doing the general analyses that the Soc Sciences demand, GOD is presumed to not exist.

As dear Fred, my wonderful lecturer said, it's very much a case of 'dont mention the war' with GOD.....

What do you think?

He is an American by birth and when you hear how incredulous he is about the state funding of religous schools in Australia (my home country), and how the American constitution FORBIDS that, the entire country starts to look a little different.

BTW, Fred and I go to the same 'church'....

(BTW, be gentle with me, this is the first, and may well be the last time, I advocate GOD being mentioned in any institution that is not a place of worship....but he (Fred) made me think....

And I'm not even sure I do advocate it, but it made me unhappy that we were so supercillious en masse, as academics, towards GOD. )

Or DOG if you're a dyslexic agnostic and lying in bed at night wondering about his existence...boom tish.

It was in the context of how it might make those of faith feel, if it actually dawned on them that basically sociology and psychology dismiss GOD, (but do accept faith almost as a symptom or placebo) and in 'not mentioning the war' ie GOD, ever, basically deny the possibility of HER existence.

The Soc Scis used to do it with race, culture, gender etc, but that is pretty much addressed, even if not adequately...but GOD as a factor in explaining phenomena is NOT allowed. (In actual fact, that is fine by me, but could be seen as exclusionary).

It was just an interesting side feature, and when the light bulbs when on above the heads of the Chrisitians in the auditorium, they did feel disenfranchished, and some, even angry.

Food for thought....I think,

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!