Everyday anomalies

Got my blood drawn yesterday for a thyroid check. I asked the nurse if it's really true that veins move around to avoid getting stuck. She said yes that they had a lady's vein move out of the way when she inserted the needle. She said the entire body is conscious! Fascinating!

chRWmfe.jpg

Reactions: C C
Got my blood drawn yesterday for a thyroid check. I asked the nurse if it's really true that veins move around to avoid getting stuck. She said yes that they had a lady's vein move out of the way when she inserted the needle. She said the entire body is conscious! Fascinating!

chRWmfe.jpg
The veins obviously do not move and are not able to, they are embedded within other structures, fatty tissue skeletal muscle and skin.

It would be very dangerous if structures like these were to move around.

The blood pressure in the veins is lower than the arteries so has thinner walls, veins have valves to prevent backflow.

They also have smooth muscle that helps the blood flow , this will be small localized movement but not movement of the whole structure.

The idea veins are “conscious” somehow is complete nonsense.

The veins obviously do not move and are not able to, they are embedded within other structures, fatty tissue skeletal muscle and skin.

It would be very dangerous if structures like these were to move around.

The blood pressure in the veins is lower than the arteries so has thinner walls, veins have valves to prevent backflow.

They also have smooth muscle that helps the blood flow , this will be small localized movement but not movement of the whole structure.

The idea veins are “conscious” somehow is complete nonsense.
Not sure this is strictly true. Most organs in the body are held in place by membranes that allow for some relative movement. Things tend to be able to slide over one another to some degree. But the notion of a vein sensing the approach of a needle and spontaneously moving to avoid it is pretty daft.

Not sure this is strictly true. Most organs in the body are held in place by membranes that allow for some relative movement. Things tend to be able to slide over one another to some degree. But the notion of a vein sensing the approach of a needle and spontaneously moving to avoid it is pretty daft.
Collagenous tissue holds these things in place. Not completely immovable like nuts and bolts, it's flesh after all, wiggle room.
Tunica externum was mentioned on one Search.
Veins or other vessels can't just move around freely. It would mess with blood pressure.

https://i.imgur.com/chRWmfe.jpg

Nothing like medical humor to still not quite dull or distract from the piercing sensation.
_

Nice try. I asked her this after she had already taken my blood.

Yes. Front line workers know to humour the weirdos - smile, agree and get away. :wink:

Easy on the eyes you may be, but "veins move around to avoid getting stuck" def will have set off her warning flare.

Last edited:
I've been called a "hard stick" or a "turnip" many times. But no nurse has ever claimed my veins moved.

Collagenous tissue holds these things in place. Not completely immovable like nuts and bolts, it's flesh after all, wiggle room.
Tunica externum was mentioned on one Search.
Veins or other vessels can't just move around freely. It would mess with blood pressure.
Sure. But they need to have a fair degree of freedom to slide within and between contracting muscle groups, for instance, or they would tear.

Back