Excuses

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by FyreStar, Dec 21, 1999.

1. SkyeBlue Registered Senior Member

Hey! What the? It didn't post my first one and gave me an error, so I made the second one. Oh well.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lori Registered Senior Member

Flash,

I think that what you are proposing is nearly impossible. For me at least, to believe that God exists, and to believe that Jesus is His Son, and the Bible is His word, I would find it virtually IMPOSSIBLE to intentionally sin against Him. It's illogical. The point is that YOU WOULDN'T WANT TO. I know that's difficult for you to imagine, but try because it's true. Now, just because you don't WANT TO doesn't mean that you won't unintentionally, or let your emotions get the best of you sometimes, but if you pray and ask for forgiveness and for help, He will give it to you, and you will grow spiritually, and change your behavior ONLY based upon your changed perception regarding what is important. I hope this makes sense. Please try to understand!!!!

------------------
    "ET phone home!"
    "Uh, hello Satan?"
    "Hey, your plan worked great! They all think I'm cute!"

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lori Registered Senior Member

Flash,

What you are proposing is illogical if not impossible. To truly believe makes it impossible, or at least illogical to intentionally sin against God. The whole point is that YOU DON'T WANT TO. That's not to say that you won't unintentionally, or let your emotions or ego get the best of you and do it anyway. But when you do, you know it, and you repent and ask for help in atonement. But you can not have true beliefs in Jesus as the Son of God and as your Saviour, and then intentionally go out and defy His will. The intentions are directly conflicting.

------------------
    "ET phone home!"
    "Uh, hello Satan?"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SkyeBlue Registered Senior Member

Hhmmm, looks like I'm not the only one this is happening to!

8. Flash Registered Senior Member

Man, I hope I do not have to end up posting this twice like Skye and you did LOL

Lori,
    First, I understand what you are saying..
    BUT, I do not agree with it at all ..you're
    shocked..huh?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thing is...some of the things the bible names as sin... I think is utter BS...
    Then again... I do not believe the bible is
    all correct... and how do you know that some of the sins mentioned are even really true?
    You did admit that the translations get all
    messed up

9. SkyeBlue Registered Senior Member

I have to say I'm with Flash on this one.

If somehow the Christian God appeared before me...well, I don't know exactly how I would verify who he really was. Assuming I somehow KNEW who he was, I'd have quite a few questions for him, that's for damn sure! Who says I WANT to spend eternity with him? I don't really like most of what I 'know' about him now, I think I'd rather spend eternity in limbo, or hell, and stay my familiar, sinful self.

10. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

SkyeBlue,
    very similar to what your husband is doing probably. I think we can call it Drum 'n Bass,Trance,Asian underground,Techno,World Fusion, there are so many different styles and genres of contemporary computer music but they're all pretty interchangeable and interactive.
    I also play long inspirational guitar improvisations when I get the urge, though I haven't done any music at all for the past year or so.
    For reference, I love Pat Metheny, Trilok Gurtu, Joe Zawinul, Future Sounds of London, Roni Size, Talvin Singh and many others..!

11. Flash Registered Senior Member

See, Lori... I'm not the only one who thinks this way. I think many people feel the same way... You all (christians) think everything God does is ok...and I just don't get it...that and then you turn around and make
    excuses for the things he does... I think perhaps the one who needs to get honest and dig deep inside is you, Lori

12. Lori Registered Senior Member

Well, let's start with the 10 Commandments. Now what exactly do you guys have a problem with? What sin that is identified in the Bible is so hard for you to reconcile? And please, let's not go into the ancient Judaism stuff about touching dead corpses and whatnot ok? I'm not claiming that I disagree with any of those laws that seem obscure to me, but unlike you, just because they seem obscure does not mean I don't think that they served a very valid purpose. I just don't claim to understand what that purpose is, other than to atone for and abolish sin on this earth. Why would God want to do that? Because take a look around; it's not good for us, that's why. And that's good enough for me. So let's at least start with the NT, and let's itemize and address every single flippin' thing that you guys can't seem to understand. Ok, for starters, who's got a problem with the 10 commandments and which one/ones and why? Ts and Vinnie, please stand by...I'll need your help, I'm sure. Vinnie, just don't call anyone a foot ok?

j/k.

------------------
    "ET phone home!"
    "Uh, hello Satan?"

13. Flash Registered Senior Member

Lori,
    Ok.. the problem I have with the 10 commandments is that God broke at least one of them... thou shalt not kill!
    Hey, if HE can't even follow them ..why the hell should he hold it against those who do not either????????
    *waiting for your reply on this one*

14. SkyeBlue Registered Senior Member

Somebody remind me again what exactly each of the commandments are?

I haven't studied Christianity as much as I've studied other religions. Guess it shows!

15. Searcher Registered Senior Member

ISDAMan,

Well, at least your last post to me wasn't a mile long - THAT I do appreciate!! You're right, I don't have the time to read a long-winded post such as you are so fond of posting, my friend. So if I appear not to be "listening" to you, maybe that has something to do with it? This is ground I've covered with others before, in case you weren't paying attention.

If by "desire to spurn reproof" you mean that I don't suddenly agree with everything you say and change my whole way of living to match YOUR beliefs, you are correct. I am trying to explain to you where I am coming from, and why I could never live my life the way YOU think I should.

ISDAMan, as you sit there pointing your finger at me, do you realize you are pointing four fingers back at yourself? Do you realize that you are not "listening" to me? Do you realize that I'm getting extremely frustrated in my attempts to communicate with you?

Forget about the "tangents" for now - the main theme of my posts to you is this: In the case of a married couple, the man is not the "head of household" alone; his wife is joint head of household right alongside of him. That's the way it is in my household. That's the way it is in any household where husband and wife truly respect each other. And that's the way the law sees it in the United States of America. Period.

I will pray to my gods that you will someday gain the maturity and wisdom to understand this, ISDAMan (you gotta love that one, huh?

). I could go on with this "praying for you" theme, basically parroting everything back to you that you said to me, but I think you're bright enough to get my point. It's really annoying, so knock it off - okay?

------------------
    www.indigenousrocks.com

16. Searcher Registered Senior Member

Lori,

I have a problem with the ones that invalidate all Pagan religions with one deft blow (thou shalt have no other gods before me...thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image...).

Also, there's the one about remembering the "sabbath" day and keeping it holy. This means no work is to be done on the sabbath day (which, in this day and age, is simply an impossible commandment for the entire world to follow). Of course, as most Christians seem to be unaware, although the Christian sabbath was originally Saturday, this was later changed to SUNday - an obvious Pagan day of worship - by Emperor Constantine (who was really a Pagan) in the third century A.D. Kind of amusing, that.

------------------
    www.indigenousrocks.com

17. Searcher Registered Senior Member

To make a slight change to my previous post, it may have been the fourth century A.D. when Constantine changed the day of worship to Sunday. In any case, he was the one who changed it.

------------------
    www.indigenousrocks.com

18. truestory Registered Senior Member

Flash,

Accepting Jesus into your life is the acceptance of a gift. We do not lose anything. We gain.

It's like one who is poor in vision, who is always tripping and bumping into things, being given a pair of glasses. If one accepts the gift and uses it diligently, the glasses serve so that one gains a clearness of vision.

If not used diligently, if you forget that they are available to serve you and you leave the glasses in a case on the counter for example, you will continue to get bruised by bumping into things. But, once you put the glasses back on, your vision clears again.

The same is true with accepting the gift of Jesus Christ. With respect to right relationships through love and salvation, your vision clears. Jesus is here to serve, to show you the way. With Jesus in your heart, you will begin to see your sins more clearly and you avoid them, as they are things that can hurt you if you collide with them.

Now, that doesn't mean that there won't be days when you won't sin because you forgot to focus on Jesus.

But, what fool would wear the glasses, see the sharp corner of the table and intentionally ram their body into it?

19. Flash Registered Senior Member

TS,
    I like me the way I am...I do not need some
    god to tell me how to act, walk, talk, wipe my butt (sorry, TS

) I'd be a puppet on a bloody string...
    BTW..who wants a gift when there are strings
    attached???

20. truestory Registered Senior Member

Flash,

God does not seek to control you. God seeks to walk "with" you.

What "bad" strings are you assuming are attached?

From what I am hearing from you, perhaps I should have used an analogy which included a "seeing eye dog" rather than a pair of glasses? LOL!!!

21. Flash Registered Senior Member

Ok, that was cute...

I simply believe by the things I have read in the bible and learning what I have from the churches I have attended... It is all
    about control...and I know you call me blind..but really for the life of me I do not understand why you guys can't see that.

Well...I just do not like the view of God that the bible portrays... and besides I don't even believe in him LOL!

22. Flash Registered Senior Member

The strings attached would be...
    you have to follow every bloody rule he has... if you mess up ..ask for forgiveness ..right? Well, if one doesn't want to change things and continues to do it..then wham..I take my gift back you bad bad
    person... to hell you go type of thing...

23. ISDAMan Thank You Jesus! Registered Senior Member

Hay Flash,

I know some of your history. It would be a real help in understanding your point of view if you could give more background in your dealings with churches. Articles of faith (if you recall) and the whole nine of what they stood for. You know. Give some examples of things said and done and how you felt in relation. Feel free to make it as long as you see fit

. I'm sure the greater part of us are adult enough to deal with it. I know that I want to take the time to understand more about you and I'm sure that truestory would as well.

God saved a wretch like me,
    ISDAMan