Existential Ruminations (too long to read)

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Mazzy, Nov 5, 1999.

1. Mazzy Registered Member

Disclamer - Just Chewing the Cud... Don't read it, it's too long and it's bad grammatically and my spelling is horrible.

Hi! I just found this board, and with it a number of obviously intelligent people with senses of humor! I like to read long windows into others minds, so in the hopes of others like me, I open a window on mine:

1. A shard of truth

It's funny at first glance, and then obvious in retrospect: I happened across this board, focued on paranormal and pseudoscience. Looking about, what did I find? Many, many christians =)

My, I said!, how strange! When I considered more deeply, I found that I had uncovered a shard of truth today (as occasionaly happens, almost always when you least expect it). Of course! (I learned) Most open forums dealing with subjects that intrest the unsaved (alt-f s! alt-f s!), must be filled to the brim with those wishing to save them.

2. Stuff I *know*

What do I know? Little. What do you know? Presumably as little as me, plus or minus a few neural connections. Probably in the same order of magnitude. So I talk about what I *know* in an effort to foster consideration of what you *know*.

What I *believe*, is where I will start. (This being distinctivly different than what I *know*, though related)

I *know* that I *believe* in science. It is a belief because I have never studied the chemical makup of a star by looking at it's light, nor have I watched a clock slow because of relativity and these are some of the teachings of science. It is a matter of *faith*, yes that dreaded word called up by christians to combat the ever-preset christian bashers. Alas!

Why do I believe in science (overwealmingly of course, no belief system is completly uncontradictory, obviously), and not parascience, or christianty? Because of what I *know*.

I can take pen to paper, do some math (shudders from the crowd, I know, I know =), and predict with resonable accuracy a number of things. How fast a ball will roll down a hill, the volume of water flowing through a system, and the time the moon will pass before the sun. These things I *know* and can perform.

It is from these things that I derive my faith and belief in science.

Christianity? Why not? You can belive in science AND Christianty, cmon!

Hmmm... *chew* *munch* *munch*

My problem with christianty is that the things you can *know* about christianty seem etheral to me.

To ME: Certainly I can attest to the ability to *feel* a connection with God, and derive peace from that.

In deeper consideration and observation, however, I find that I can also foster within myself a feeling of inner peace and energy through a self-hypnosis walk with my spirit guides, or feel the pull of the ancient egyption mythos. Each stads apart, but equally appealing to me, and thus suggests to me not that any or all is correct, but that my body and mind are easily convinced of something *greater* to provide them with comfort in this hostile, impersonal world.

*chew* *crunch*

Too much now, I'll chew s'more later.

Mazzy

------------------
    Faster,Better,Cheaper

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

ick 2

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. truestory Registered Senior Member

Welcome... and thanks for opening the window and letting in some fresh air!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

(inhale) (exhale) (inhale) (exhale)

You're right, truestory! That felt nice!

Welcome, Mazzy! I found your post enjoyable, and was grateful that you broke it up into paragraphs. Sometimes lengthy posts are poured out without being broken up a little, and it can make for a hard read for someone who is used to a little formatting.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mazzy Registered Member

Well, thank you. As I said, 'yall seem like nice people =)

Anyhow, I'll be lurking.

-Mazzy

------------------
    Faster,Better,Cheaper

ick 2