extraordinary and genitals

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Orleander, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so you're american and you hear everyone around you saying it the way Nati sang it in a song?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

Pretty much. Actually, most people I know say it like two words, extra ordinary.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so, you're pretty much american or you pretty much hear everyone say it that way?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. tim840 Registered Senior Member

I think pronunciation of extraordinary in America must depend on geographic location and dialect. Everyone I know here in southern California says ex tror di nar y. But apparently there are some places in America where it is pronounced ex tra or di nar y. :shrug:

8. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

Also, as a rule Americans avoid the word altogether. "out of the ordinary" is much more commonly used.

9. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

yes they are,

10. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

but.......someone was just saying rightfully so, thet ovaries are genitals, like the womb, but what if you have had a total hysterectomy, what have you got then pural or singular?

i have had a total hysterectomy so i would appreciate a straight answer!

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Remember what the dictionaries say. "Genitals" is a plural noun. It does not exist in the singular form. There's no such thing as "one genital" any more than you can have "one scissor" or "one trouser."

"Genital" without the S is an adjective. The genital region, genital organs, genital herpes, etc.

If you've had an ovariohysterectomy then you'll probably have to ask your doctor about proper scientific terminology. And I'm sure he'll raise his eyebrows and say you must be taking this all pretty well if you've got time to worry about vocabulary issues.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

As far as talking with laymen is concerned, I think "genitals" is still fine. It's not like this is going to come up in casual conversation with strangers anyway.

Besides, women have pretty complicated plumbing. You'd have to have far more radical surgery, before you wouldn't have at least two things left that are involved with sexual activity.