Faith Healing and Government's role in religious belief..

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Bells, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

oh and while we are at it

ie just because the parents believe it is irreverent, the rights of the child guarantee that children can make there OWN decisions about religion

Bells whenever this argument comes up the answer is articles 4, 6 and 24. The government has an internationally mandated responsibility to protect a child from exactly this sort of abuse.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

That is the limitation of law enforcement. The government should not try to intrude on personal rights unless they find probable cause to, which often only occurs after something tragic has happened. But once it has come to their attention, as in this case, the State has a responsibility (which was not sufficiently met, since a second death occurred).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

I mean that I might be "wrong" as in "incorrect". Not "wrong" as in "morally wrong".
    It's silly to talk about morality as if it were objective.

I'm actually quite moderate when it comes to government intervention. More often than not, it is desirable. The only times where it isn't is where it can destabilize society.
    The act of intervention to protect these children is not itself destabilizing. I only worry about establishing precedents that can be.
    But, as I just said last post, I revised my thoughts and I doubt that this would really establish that.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sorcerer Put a Spell on you Registered Senior Member

I think that is both absolutely morally wrong, and immoral, to kill your children. That you don't agree says everything I need to know about you.

8. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

He said he had no stake in it, merely that it's arguable.

The only case I can think of where it might be arguable is when the parents/guardians are actually innocent. In the US there is a presumption of innocence until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt. And there is a Constitutional protection that defendants will receive effective assistance of counsel, right to confront the witnesses and evidence brought against them at trial, right to trial by a jury of peers (landowners, not equals), right to seek a writ of habeas corpus (appearance before a court to try to show that the arrest/conviction was unlawful), right to appeal a conviction . . . usually at three levels: the court of conviction, the state appeals court of appeals, and federal court. Having exhausted all of those (perhaps 10 years later) the Appellant can apply to the US Supreme Court, which is the court of last resort. Failing that, the conviction is upheld and cannot be appealed further without new evidence.

The presumption then, is that all of the convicted people are actually guilty. However, there have been instances of people being exonerated after spending most of their lives in prison for crimes they did not commit. For this reason I would have to allow that due to the possibility that a parent may be wrongly convicted of denying medical care to the child there should be consideration given for their victimization by crusading prosecutors and judges.

Other than that, it makes no difference whether the faith-healing parent feels emotionally damaged from state intervention or not. No one really cares. The idea is to protect the interests of the child who is unable to defend herself. There is no ethical reason to defend religious pseudo-medical ideas against penalties for the wanton infliction of substantial harm.

For that reason I would totally reject the defense of faith-healing groups or their claims that such beliefs are protected under the Constitution. They are not. The child's right to medical care is the Constitutional right at issue, and by comparison the parents feelings are mere trifles. I would only add that there may be parents who are falsely convicted.

9. Sorcerer Put a Spell on you Registered Senior Member

I suppose to broaden the thread a little, it is clear to me that the State should not interfere in people's religiousness (is that a word?) unless it causes them to break any reasonable law - there are laws that are unreasonable, like anti-gay laws being enacted in Africa, and I would support breaking them (but don't get caught unless you intend to).

There are some grey areas though. France enacted a law banning the wearing of the muslim veil in public, because other people don't like it. I don't like being unable to see a person's face either but I wouldn't support that law. Nobody is actually hurt by it.

There are regulations in Saudi preventing Christians following their faith, and I think that's wrong too.

The big area for me is the indoctrination of children, which some (like Dawkins) have termed child abuse, and maybe it is. There is also the issue of genital mutilation, both male and female. FGM is illegal in the UK, I don't know about elsewhere. The status quo here is that parents can do what they like to their offspring both in terms of indoctrination and, for males, chopping bits off them, although they are too young to consent, or even know what's happening.

10. Bells Staff Member

There should be no religious exemptions in such cases.

Having read a few articles on the extent of, well, the horror, I am left asking myself how and why so many of these parents and family members literally get off scot free. Some do not even face charged and those that do, often only have a few days in jail or their jail time overturned for community service. While Oregon has finally removed the religious exemptions to killing your child, Idaho at the date of the article's above (2013) still has full protection.

In Oregon, for example, prior to the removal of the religious exemption clauses in the legislation;

In 1997, 20 years after Matthew’s death, a six-year-old boy in Oregon died from a necrotic bowel due to a hernia that could easily have been treated. The pathologist’s first reaction was “Not again!” He and his associate had compiled evidence of 18 children who had died over the last 10 years from curable diseases in a Followers of Christ congregation of 1,200 people. That worked out to 26 times the usual infant mortality rate. And it wasn’t just children: followers’ wives were dying in childbirth at 900 times the usual rate. One died of a type of infection that hadn’t killed anyone in America since 1910.

Nothing could be done about it, because Oregon had one of the strongest religious shield laws in the country. It protected parents from allegations of religious intolerance and gave them the right to withhold medical care for their children. In fact, the shield had just been beefed up: a new law to increase the punishment for murder by spousal or child abuse specifically prohibited prosecution for manslaughter if the person responsible was acting on religious beliefs.

A TV reporter named Mark Hass was told that there had been a cluster of preventable deaths among the Followers of Christ in Oregon City. He looked into it, but there were no criminal complaints, no police investigations, and the county DA was uninterested. When his investigation seemed to have reached a dead end, someone suggested he visit the local cemetery. He counted the graves of 78 children. He launched America’s first major series of TV reports on faith-healing abuse on KATU in Portland.

It boggles the mind that this is legal.

Idaho is just as bad, if not worse. In at least one incident in the article detailing some of the horrors being legally perpetrated against children and adults under the guise of religious freedom, one caretaker at a cemetery reported that some from the Followers of Christ church in the area arrived at the cemetery and told him they needed to bury a child there. He claimed the baby was just in the back seat. He told them that they could not bury the baby there without a death certificate. And the Followers of Christ are not the only religion practicing such beliefs.. There are others.. And if children die or fall sick in Idaho or any other State where exemptions exist, it is completely legal. Worse yet, the true extent of the deaths may never be known. To put it into some perspective:

4-year-old Natali Joy Mudd was found dead by detectives in her own home, with a tumor in her eye that was almost as big as the rest of her head. At the horrific scene, a police sergeant found horizontal trails of blood along the walls of the house. The trails matched the height of the girl’s head. Natali had apparently been leaning against the wall as she dragged herself from room to room, blinded, trying to find a way to freedom, before the tumor killed her.​

Natali’s parents belonged to the Faith Assembly Church, a Pentecostal offshoot. They didn’t believe in medical care, and they were not prosecuted because Indiana had strict religious shield laws. Two years later, Natali’s five-year-old sister died from an untreated tumor in her stomach the size of a basketball.

The Faith Assembly Church was responsible for as many as 100 childhood deaths and for a maternal childbirth mortality rate that was 870 times the usual rate. The most common cause of death was infant mortality in home births;

How can this be allowed to happen?

In 2014, a Republican lawmaker pushed back against attempts to remove such exemptions:

A Republican lawmaker in Idaho is trying to stop a law aimed at preventing the deaths of children whose parents eschew medical treatment in favor of prayer. The Associated Press reported that state Rep. Christy Perry (R) believes that a law proposed by Democratic Rep. John Gannon violates religious freedom of families who believe God’s will supercedes modern medicine.

“This is about religious beliefs, the belief God is in charge of whether they live, and God is in charge of whether they die,” said Perry of the Followers of Christ, an extremist group who have let at least four children die of treatable illnesses in the last three years.

“This is about where they go for eternity,” she insisted.

It's infuriating!

I would think that if there is a God and you deliberately allow your child to die, you'd probably spend eternity in hell..

11. Sorcerer Put a Spell on you Registered Senior Member

Bells, that is just truly awful.

12. wellwisher Banned Banned

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/09/20/224507654/how-many-die-from-medical-mistakes-in-u-s-hospitals

How many death per year come from faith healing? If there are fewer deaths due to faith healing, then many lives could have been saved. I tried to find the statistics for the faith healer based death, but Google tends to focus on one or two deaths here and there scattered over many years. Mostly tear jerker stiff to manipulate emotions. I would guess less than 10,000 per year. If these 300,000 dead per year had done faith healing that day, instead of the hospital, at least half would be alive to have people complain they should have gone to the hospital.

13. Amine Registered Member

Guess this is why there are fewer and fewer religious people these days. Natural selection in action.

14. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

That you think morality is objective says that you are little different the people who put stock in faith healing. You both have faith in something that is unverifiable, and follow it with blind obedience.

15. Sorcerer Put a Spell on you Registered Senior Member

That is the kind of answer I expect from you.

16. Bells Staff Member

Maybe, maybe not. The people dying due to lack of medical care due to faith healing, are dying of things like kidney and bladder infections and choking on a banana. Things that a trip to the doctors and a call to the paramedics would have cured.

But you aren't wrong, a study determined that hundreds of thousands of people die from medical mistakes every year in America. An absolutely appalling number. Having nearly been one such statistic here in Australia, this is one of my pet peeves.

That aside, if you look at the number of people who do not believe in medical care, say, if you look at the Followers of Christ as one example, while the membership number isn't huge (around 1000 to 1200 for Followers of Christ alone), what it represents is huge:

a former Oregon state medical examiner claims the infant mortality rate within the Followers of Christ community is 26 times greater that of the general population.

And this is just in Oregon. Which is obscene.

The true number of deaths may also not be known, since in at least one case, they tried to bury a baby without a death certificate. And in the articles I linked above, we are just looking at a few counties. It is possible, perhaps, that they are trying to avoid detection by burying their children in different counties or even elsewhere. We'll never know.

17. Baldeee Valued Senior Member

So your argument is that if the 300,000 people who died due to mistakes in hospital had done faith healing instead of going to hospital, you reckon at least half would still be alive??
    Do you not see how flawed that argument is???

First, they would have been "saved" (if indeed they were) not by the faith healing but by simply not going to hospital.
    The faith healing would be irrelevant to the matter.

Second, death through "preventable harm" suggests people would have died without medical treatment, but the hospital merely didn't prevent what ailed them when their ailment was actually preventable.
    Faithhealing does not prevent the ailments either.

Third, you can't just take the 300,000 that have died and ignore the millions that survive due to hospital treatment.
    To do so, as you have done, is the grossest case of selection bias I have ever seen.

Fourth, you need to look at percentages, not raw numbers.

Fifth, it is not the mortality rates per se, as, unsurprisingly, mortality rate is 100% whether you shun medical treatment or not.
    What is key here is how long people live - is it higher for people who shun medical care or those that use medicine?

Your argument is so logically flawed I find it depressing that people can actually think as you do.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  18. Baldeee Valued Senior Member

This study shows that 200-400k patients die from "preventable harm".
    This is not necessarily the same as causing their death but merely in not picking up things that ultimately the patient died from.
    (Although I'm sure there are stats on how many deaths are actually caused by the hospitals).

To me this makes it sound that these people would have died without hospital treatment.
    So while the report shows that going to hospital is no longer the guarantee of getting better that it might have been perceived to be, even if one person gets better then it is still more successful than spiritual healing (scientifically speaking).

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Sadly its deliberate, freedom to impose religion and the right to own your child rather than the child having rights over you is specifically listed as the reasons why the US is 1 of only 3 countries in the whole world who have failed to sign and ratify the convention on the rights of the child

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Whether its followed or not even the "evil states" like Iran have signed this, yet the "great moral authority" still considers children to be slaves, the property of there parents.

20. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

The objective test for right and wrong is found in civil law, not religion. Hence, you harm your kid for Jesus and you go to jail.

21. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

For reasons like this religions are a threat to society. They interfere in public policy. People die from it. The entire Health Care War was predicated on the "dumping" of indigent patients from the hospital beds to the streets, where some died. The opponents to the plan to fix it were largely fundamentalists.

For all the lip service given about how righteous they are, I think it's time for them to pay the piper. Past due, actually. Way past due.

22. Bells Staff Member

It's not just about children or solely relegated to the US. Evangelical and Pentecostal Churches are making inroads in African countries and popping up in countries like the UK.

Faith leaders in the UK are telling vulnerable people to stop taking life-saving drugs and their HIV can be cured through prayer in many African community groups, a new study has warned.

In seven different groups, members said they were pressured into stopping taking antiretroviral medication, according to the African Health Policy network.

Most respondents to the AHPN survey said they were "aware of more than one case of faith healing claims and pressure to stop taking medication. One member was aware of five cases."

And most said they believed the pastors, the majority Evangelical or Pentecostal Christians, when they said they could cure them.

[HR][/HR]

Last year, BBC London identified three people with HIV who died after they stopped taking antiretroviral drugs on the advice of their Evangelical Christian pastors.

One of the churches allegedly involved in the practice was the Synagogue Church Of All Nations, which has a UK base in Southwark, south London.

The BBC reported that the SCOAN website showed videos of people who say they have been cured of diseases.

Videos have been posted on the site of people in Nigeria who say they have been cured of HIV/AIDS.

The church is led by Pastor T B Joshua, Nigeria's third richest clergyman.

But Power said it was not an problem which occurred exclusively in African churches. "There are people of all races and religions who follow someone called Professor Peter Duesberg, who believes it is the HIV medication which can make you ill.

"They discourage the taking of HIV drugs too, and that can make people very ill indeed. It's not just a problem that happens in the African community."

The charity has been awarded £7m by the government to raise HIV/AIDS awareness among gay men and the African community, identified at the two most "at risk", in partnership with the Black Health Agency.

Some of the funding will go towards educating people about faith healing and medication.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

In a society that does not even agree on when a child exists, at least this is consistent. After all, some people call it a child before it is born, and people deliberately not only allow but actively cause it to die.

And the same argument about "the child [not] having rights over you" is used to justify killing those unborn "children".