Falling Feeling

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Raven, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Raven Registered Senior Member

Greetings,
    On several occasions I've had experiences when I've felt like I was falling. It usually happens when I go to bed. I'll just lie down and suddenly feel like I'm falling. At first I thought that maybe I fell asleep and didn't know it and may have been having a waking dream or something but it usually happens when I'm sure that I'm awake. Later I started having the falling feeling when I was wide awake. The other day I was watching television on my couch and I just felt like I was falling. It happened without warning and I wasn't sleeping at all. Does anyone know what may be happening?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

I don't know, but most of us have experianced that, it used to happen to me also from time to time, and as with you, usually when I lay down to sleep.

One time I was near sleep and got this vivid image of me biking and suddenly there was a streetlight right in front of me, I almost turned myself out of bed

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

it's because you're tired and your brain needs oxygen
    all people experience it

I usually try to hold the feeling as long as possible by not throwing up
    one of the ways of doing some extreme meditation that isn't meditative at all, but that's with all extreme sports. I usually imagine that I'm falling from an airplane without a parachute and falling and falling and falling...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. yeah i think everyone's experienced that.. i get it especially when i'm extremely tired and just about to lapse into sleep.. i usually find that it happens when my mind is constructing mental images and stories even before sleep.. maybe i'm starting to dream before i've fully lost consciousness? dunno.

but yeah.. i sleep on the floor now (on a futon matress

) and i haven't experienced that in a while.. don't think it could have something to do with relative position to the ground?

8. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Somewhat related: I sometimes also dream of falling. It's hard to describe how it feels though.... it's like being overwhelmed by fear...... and I often 'see what I'm falling into/from', from trees into lakes, from tall buildings..... good to know I've never dreamt I'm dead.....

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I have been killed in dreams for countless times
    felt it also
    depends on the killing method, mostly by a sword or a knife
    also shot, from falling, etc

10. LephtShew Registered Senior Member

me too

I have a similar thing happen
    i've always assumed it's a really quick dream
    it's almost instant...
    Falling... almost hit the ground, wake up, still feel like i'm falling
    like that feeling in your stomach when you're on a rollercoaster.
    Perhaps i never feel asleep and just envisioned it?

I wonder if it means i'll die by falling from a height

11. pixie alien angel Registered Senior Member

the feeling is caused by your muscles suddenly relaxing... nothing mysterious there!

12. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

I use that falling feeling when I'm having trouble sleeping, it works every time. The 'jumping out of a plane without a parachute' method works best for me. Very relaxing. As far as why it feels so real (you can actually feel the g-force!) I wish i knew, it's so vivid.

edit: I should add that the key (for me) is to not worry about hitting the ground, that allows me to simply pass through it and just continue to fall. That usually stops me from jerking awake on 'impact' and ruining the effect.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2003
  13. OverTheStars Registered Senior Member

we fall asleep, our bodies feeling heavier and being pulled down...our beds are rectangular(except for maybe austin powers), just like our graves...and we are pulled down in our graves when we die.
    this thread kinda reminded me of this thought i had while laying in bed. anyone want to translate this? i haven't been able to interpret my thoughts and ideas for some reason lately...

14. vitaminA Registered Senior Member

I like that feeling. It happens to me very often, almost every other 3 nights, but sometimes weeks go by beofre the next one.
    It rarely happens to me when I am fully awake, but when it did, it felt like a deja vu. Sometimes I have woken up because of that feeling, and sometimes, it happens right when I doze off.

15. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

I believe every now and then everyone gets that feeling that they are falling. It's very common. I also get the feeling especially if I'm lying in bed watching tv I would jump out of no where and feel like I just fell from a mile up. It's perfectly normal. While I'm not sure what causes this feeling I agree that it might have something to do both with you brain needing oxygen and you muscles relaxing.

16. NightCrawler Registered Member

Yes i also get that falling feeling when i'am sleeping its when i have a dream and its not a bad dream out of now were i just jump its like i jump 20 feet in the air it feels weard but its really normal and fine to get that feeling ok.

17. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

OverTheStars:
    My first reaction was that the bed being rectangular have nothing to do with the grave being rectangular. However my opinion has changed now...since you made that conclusion it's probably so.

This doesn't mean that you are going to die, though. Neither does it mean that you are dead (unless you can't feel your heart beating)...in which case you should call a doctor...

Do you believe that you are dead?

(i haven't been able to interpret my thoughts and ideas for some reason lately...)

I believed that for a time, so maybe I can give advice.

18. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

I suppose we all have different perspectives but to me, the rectangular shape of our beds and our graves is just a practical matter.

The majority of humanity is taller than they are wide, so (to me) the rectangle simply seems like the obvious choice in both graves and beds. Constructing (or digging) a rectangle is easier than a circle and more efficient than a square or triangle when trying to accommodate the shape of our bodies.

19. forever.soul Registered Senior Member

i get this feeling during my dreams where im literraly falling in my dreams. ive read somewhere that if you fall and smack deadly into the floor it can be reflected onto your thouts in life.

but if you land on your feat it means you can overcome/have overcome a problem in your life. somewhere along those lines.

when i feel it, its like a roller coaster but 10x magnified. the feeling is so strong but i always seem to land on my feat. i think what im talking about is different then what the original poster is saying but i thought i might bring it up.

i wonder how some of you have died in your dreams. I heard if you die in your dreams mentally then your body dies in real life. I saw this on t.v said by a proffesional. Maybe people who have experienced death in there dream was of you imaginig someone else dieng while you watched through their eyes.

20. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

One question, if you die in your dreams and it kills you in real life how could anyone know you were dreaming of dying ... i mean you're dead, so how can you tell anyone what you dreamed? Answer: You can't, even if it's true we will never know unless we could record peoples dreams and view them after death.

Who ever told you that has seen the matrix one too many times I think.

21. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

I have died in my dreams many times, yet i am still alive. I don't understand what you are trying to get at here.

22. LephtShew Registered Senior Member

"Death's second self"
    -Canterbury Tales