Falling in love with "Dr. Who"

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by superstring01, Sep 9, 2012.

1. superstring01 Moderator

Seriously just started watching two weeks ago. I've chewed throught Series 1, 2 and half of 3. I'm also silmu-watching them along with the new series. The older "new" episodes are a bit cheesy, but I've also caught a few newer "new" episodes. Loving it.

~String

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I just saw one of the new series - unfortunately, not the first one, so i hadn't a clue who's who or why they're there or how they got there, and there certainly wasn't a lot of information - or sense or coherence. Not sure whether i'm coming back for more. I like the last batch.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I'm a HUGE fan or Dr. Who!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I've been watching it since it was first available in the U.S. on Public Television. At the time I started watching, Tom Baker (the guy with the long overcoat and scarf) was the doctor. Later, they showed all the original episodes - and I've seen them all.

This latest guy though - Matt Smith - and his companion are BOTH worthless!! If they had been on when I first started I would have never, ever seen a second offering of the show. I've no problem at all with the British accent, even a very heavy one. But both these idiots are "mush-mouths" - the poorest diction I've ever witnessed on ANY show originating in ANY country on the whole globe! I've suffered through 4 of their episodes and then removed the show from my weekly program timer. When they finally get a new cast/season I'll certainly try it again.

All I can say for now is that I'me very thankful I taped many of the previous shows plus the fact that they are available to watch on several sites on the web.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

You trying the older series as well? (Up to 1980 or so.) Worth a look, though... well. It's not as neatly done as the modern era. Kind of have to take it with some salt, like Star Trek TOS.

8. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

A few interesting tidbits about Doctor Who:

The show originally was intended to teach kids about history. The idea being that they would end up at all these points in history, interacting with historical events or people. One of the original "companions" was a high school history teacher whose role was to explain the historical context. This veered off almost immediately when only the second story line had them traveling to the world of the Daleks. From then on, the show alternated between science fiction stories and the Pure Historical ones. Somewhere during the first Doctor's tenure they produced the first pseudo-historical story line (A story placed in history, but with science fictional elements). These soon became a mainstay for Doctor Who. In fact, in the 2nd Doctor's first year (1964) they stopped making pure history stories altogether, and another was not to appear until 1982.

The mention of the Doctor of as a Time Lord doesn't occur until the 2nd Doctor, and the name of his home planet isn't given until the 3rd Doctor

The Ood were based on the Senorites, a species met by the first Doctor. Their home planets are even in the same system (the Sensorites live on the Sense-sphere and the Ood on the Ood-sphere).

David Tennant, who played the Tenth Doctor, is married to Georgia Moffett, who played his "daughter" in one of his episodes. She is also the real life daughter of Peter Davison who played the 5th Doctor.

The Macra (the huge crab-like creatures living below the traffic lanes in the tenth Doctor story "GridLock"), were first introduced in a 2nd Doctor story.

9. superstring01 Moderator

I have not, nor do I intend to, watch any episodes before the re-launch. Not that I have a problem with them, it's just that I have minimal television time and what little I do have is playing catch-up on Netflix.

Almost done with Season 3. Very enjoyable. I'll miss Rose.

~String

10. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

You lose lot of interest in Rose after you see Donna's storyline end, imo. Not that it changes anything about Rose, but Donna's ending was richer. Problem being that I hated Donna for a few episodes, before she became my favorite companion.

11. BlueOrchid Registered Member

I love watching Dr. Who, the newer series. I have yet to watch any of the older ones. I liked Rose, but was not a fan of Donna at all. She irritated me immensely. I'm glad I'm not the only one who disliked her.

12. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Been a fan since I was a kid. My favorite episode since the reboot was Blink. In fact, I started a thread about it back when it originally aired: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?71595-Dr-Who-episode-Blink

I really liked the Donna episode, Turn Left.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  13. superstring01 Moderator

Apparently "Blink" is a fan fave.

I really love "The Girl in the Fireplace". Wonderful.

I also love, LOVE LOOOOOVE "Asylum of the Daleks" -- I mean, yeah, I saw the end coming. We all know what she was going to be in the end, but the VERY end, where the Doctor was on the Dalek Parliament ship . . . . I got goosebumps. I thought it a very big shame that they disposed of "her" in the end. I really thought a "rogue" humanesque-Dalek allied with the Dr. would be an amazing side-kick and an amazing story piece. Sort of like River Song (who I LOVE, BTW).

Overall the show is quite compelling.

~String

14. superstring01 Moderator

I'm into the African lady who I like so far. Donna was onboard briefly and I know that she ends up being a companion (because I've seen her interviewed on the Graham Norton Show).

Can't wait.

~String

15. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Yep, that's Dr. Jones.

She's one of my favorites - MUCH better actress with CONSIDERABLY better diction than the current little twit (Amy) playing alongside Matt Smith.

She plays a major role in several episodes, too. (Wish I could remember her first name in the show.)

16. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

ben frigging browder on dr who!!!!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss!!!

One of the circles of life is complete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

I did not know that.

18. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

I was more impressed that this was being filmed not-in-a-gravel-pit. It turns out that they were in Almeria, a province of Spain, where A Fistful Of Dollars was shot so that the landscape looks "authentic." "Mexico is about 200 miles due south." -- Shyah, right! It does however greatly resemble the deserts of Nevada and Southern California in the rain shadow of the Sierra Nevadas, so a good find for a British film company in search of a desert. Just earlier this week, I was mentally comparing the cinema of island nations Japan and the UK and thought the Japanese really make the most of their one desert region.

19. superstring01 Moderator

Didn't realize it was him until the end.

Was nice to see him in action again.

~String

20. Gustav Banned Banned

i googled "best episodes..." and d/l these....

Doctor Who S03E12 The Sound of Drums.avi
    Doctor Who S03E13 Last of the Time Lords [MM].avi
    Doctor Who S05E01 The Eleventh Hour.avi
    Doctor Who S06E04 The Doctor's Wife.avi
    Doctor Who.S03E10.Blink.avi
    Doctor Who.S06E10.The.Girl.Who.Waited.avi

...a while back.
    now however, thanks to you, i discovered billie piper, a hottie, was a companion for the 2nd season
    i heard a song by her....

[video=youtube;rtT4MWzohRY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtT4MWzohRY[/video]

... while waiting for a movie to start way back when. fluff but she is hot so...
    she also had a tv show called Secret Diary of a Call Girl
    more hotness.....

[video=youtube;VCA-wk76UXc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCA-wk76UXc[/video]

yeah, fell asleep last night to some victorian chick smooching the doctor. will retry tho i cant remember seeing piper in the bit i managed to see

21. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Take your dirty, dirty fingers off Billie's picture, Gus.