Fasting?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Bowser, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

What is the point of fasting as a religious practice?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I ask because I went without food for a couple days recently, and when I finally did eat (a salami sandwich with mayo) it was absolute heaven...delicious.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

the fact that you feel a need to validate your question(while assiging it a position of non combatant) suggests a certain amount of normative discrimination.

are the same people equally touchy about how they ask someone if they are sexually active ?

what is the nature of "personal business" when it comes to religion as a free-pass to infer injury(claim victimisation & define an abuser) ?

politics
    religion
    money
    the 3 things your not supposed to ask people questions about ?

why ?
    because they have no right to refuse to answer ?
    because they can legitimately label you as an abuser ?
    because that subject has been per-ordained by someone somewhere to be off limits to questions ?
    because if they do not answer your Ego will feel damaged & you will then need to inflict pain and suffering on something to make your ego feel better ?

you may wish to define your question a little more as i have heard told that there are varying levels of fasting for varying levels of religious belief.

the general catch all of "appreciating going without" to never be above the poor and unfortunate is as vague as it comes though most commonly mentioned.
    there are other more serious forms of various religions who have other reasons, some to do with releasing hormones & inducing hallucinatory states(with added herbs & plants etc) to "meet god" as it were.

8. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Thanks for you input. I've never given the idea of fasting much thought. I've heard that it's a way of cleansing the body. As you suggest, the reasoning may be as varied as the number of people who practice it. My personal experience was that of hunger and then absolute joy. I think if I were wondering thirsty in the desert, a glass of water would be bliss.

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Heh. I think I see where you're going with this - that the experience could be comparable to a transcendent experience.

But, wouldn't that essentially violate the Commandment "Thou shalt not worship false Gods before me."?

I mean, the taste of food after fasting isn't God, yet were one to seek it as an ersatz encounter, isn't that sort of false worship?

10. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

"Why are you hitting yourself with that hammer?"

"Because it feels so good when I stop."

11. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I've hit my finger with a hammer. The damage is lingering. If I could have cured the suffering with a salami sandwich, I certainly would have done so.

12. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I honestly don't know. It just seems that when your belly is always full, food isn't as wonderful. I've tried to duplicate the salami sandwich experience, but it just hasn't been the same, simply because i didn't starve myself prior.

13. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I don't think it's that, but it sounds like a reward. Fasting seems to have been used for different things in the bible. Paul mentions the devil will not tempt you for lack of self control. hard times indeed.

14. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I don't know if you're trying to be funny or if you just missed the point.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Based on your past performance, I'll make the point another way: When you're doing something stupid, stopping is reward enough.

15. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

But as you said, you are asking about as a religious practice.

And you're talking about how divine an experience it was.

I'm reading between the the lines and seeing you wondering perhaps the euphoria of breaking a fast is a likeness of the euphoria of God's presence.

Am I overthinking it?

16. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

[QUOTE="DaveC426913, post: 3561420, member: 1946}
    Am I overthinking it?[/QUOTE]
    Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps I've reduced it to the experience in itself.

17. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Perhaps taking a look at the birth of Buddhism might help...

18. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

religion Vs neurology ... ?

experiential psychology of perceptive biochemical processes of the human mind & body[& its related pharmacology] ?

im not sure if your being serious.
    my intuition tells me your not really interested.
    thus i will leave it there.

what are you fishing for ?

people can simply stop eating willingly until they die(happens all the time)
    so does that change any cause and effect of your question ?

is there a cultural aspect at play ? the American all you can eat must be the biggest & really fat and overweight but not allowed to talk about it because free speech is not really the norm ?

some basics you should already know
    12 tribes wondering in the desert

christian lent =
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lent#Fasting_and_abstinence

muslim Ramadan =
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramadan

judain-christian
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Lost_Tribes

Hindu
    http://www.hinduismfacts.org/fasting-in-hinduism/

that covers about 5 billion people roughly

2014 BBC news item
    https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-25592458

as you can see the weight loss & intestinal detoxification & recovery for the liver & kidneys gall bladder urinary system small intestine is quite significant.

the potential massive saving of lifes lost to bowl cancer simply by allowing the small intestines to flush regularly could potential be significant.

americans and the vast amount of raw red meat sitting in their intestines is killing them by the thousands.