Favorite Film Talk Thread And Comments

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Bobby Lee, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Bobby Lee member Registered Senior Member

There are so many films that are great productions, I thought a thread for it was a good idea...

Please add to it....

bjl

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Congrats Bartok Fiend Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Let's try The Secret Garden , a Warner Brothers production. Quite possibly the most important piece of anything in my life, although that says nothing of its value. I do think it is one fine film, and deep enough to get lost in. This year, after the first 6+ inch snow, I'll hide in a pine tree and then go watch it. Like it sustains me, or something. Just another cycle of time.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

Time to be sneered at...

I've always been dubious of people averring to have a favourite anything, but if had to pick five films to watch again and again, the only one that'd consistently be up there would be Robocop. Violence, science fiction, humour, biting satire, there's nothing it hasn't got.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Neb Registered Senior Member

Monty Python:Holy Grail and Life of Brian.
    I will never get tired of seeing those two.

8. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

Monty Python - yes indeed.

Neb you've picked two of my favourites too. But how far back are we going? I got a kick out of Dogma with Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, but there are many different categories. Maybe we should put them in categories and then pick a movie for each.

Teri

9. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

Dear Neb

I noticed we've both hit 75 posts at the same time, so I thought I'd one-up you.
    Cheers

Teri

10. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

If you're a monty python fan (and who isn't?) you should check out the Criterion DVD of Life of Brian. Not only has it two commentary tracks, but there are a bunch of deleted scenes. Well worth a watch.

As for categories: best movie starring Peter Weller as a cyborg: Robocop.
    Best satire set in the future: Robocop.
    Best movie directed by Paul Verhoeven: Robocop.

Best movie directed by James Cameron with 'Titanic' in the title: No award.

11. Neb Registered Senior Member

Re: Dear Neb

Damn it you got two up on me so I thought I'd reduce the margin

I also thought Dogma was great, Kevin Smith put a spin on the Catholic religon i'm sure would have opened a few peoples eyes.

12. Bobby Lee member Registered Senior Member

"Harvey the Rabbit!"

I saw this old Jimmy Stewart film years ago. I noticed that several bids by xstudio's opting for a remake?

any comments?

bjl

Last edited: Nov 30, 2001
  13. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

Harvey the rabbit

It rings a bell but I can't remember what that one was all about. I loved all those old Jimmy Stewart movies.

Looks like I'll have to get myself a DVD if only for the extra parts. Are they really that great though? It's a bit like old vinyl records, not all of them have been made into CDs, so I don't throw my out.

I think I'll have to actually buy the monty python movies because the video stores don't seem to keep them.

Cheers
    Teri

14. Neb Registered Senior Member

I ended up buying the Monty Python video's to save money, I must have hired each one at least 50 times.

15. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

Re: Harvey the rabbit

How could you forget a movie with a giant rabbit? Or was that the Holy Grail?

I've become a DVD snob; I don't buy videos any more. If you're a fan of commentary tracks, some DVDs are absolutely excellent. Dogma - like all Kevin Smith movies - is doubly worthy buying on DVD, as his commentaries tend to be as entertaining as the movies.
    Some of the best extras on DVDs I've found to be on: Robocop, Life of Brian, Brazil (three disks), Seven Samurai (excellent commentary)... all from Criterion (www.criterionco.com). Shrek on two disks is also great, and Avalon comes with two disks and a book.

16. Repo Registered Member

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

What's your fave Shakespeare movie?

A few films off the top of my head:

* The Lotus Eaters ('93)
    * War of the Buttons (Irish)
    * Incredibly True Adventures of 2 Girls in Love (Maria Maggenti dir.)
    * In the Name of the Father (starring Day-Lewis)
    * Closet Land (starring Rickman/Stowe)
    * Book of Love (1991)
    * Last House on the Left (Wes Craven)
    * South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut (you set a new standard, you get some notice)
    * Brighton Beach Memoirs

Notes: As good as Stewart's Harvey is, I'm still a fan of it as a play; the Pentacle Theatre in Salem, Oregon, has done a couple of bang-up revivals of the play. And as long as I'm mentioning plays and movies, it's worth pointing out both Brighton Beach and Closet Land started out onstage. The latter is easy to tell, but does anyone know who Jonathan Silverman replaced as Eugene Jerome in Brighton Beach Memoirs? (Who played Eugene on opening night on Broadway?)

I couldn't think of a title for this post, so I decided to throw in the Shakespeare question. I can mark both my favorite and the least thereof. The best I've seen is Roth and ... damn it! Anyway, Rosencranz & Guildenstern are Dead; the worst I've seen is that Leo D Romeo & Juliet that was out a couple of years back. Pete Postlethwait is a credit to any film, but you can't carry a feature-length Shakespeare adaptation on one actor and an overdose of glitz. It was a nice attempt, but missed wide.

thanx,
    Tiassa

18. Neb Registered Senior Member

South Park movie was awesome

They have set new standards hey, it gives me the shits when people complain about kids watching it cause its not aimed at Kids, just because its an animation its immediatley labled a kids show, how wrong were they

19. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

DVD it is!

Looks like I'll have to save up and buy a DVD.

And it was a giant rabbit in Holy Grail - with 'nasty pointy teeth'

..... I have to go get that move, see ya.

Teri

20. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

See if you can spot the Genre links in these films:

The Matrix (1999)
    If you didn't see it, where have you been.. hiding?
    One day it will happen, you shall be sat infront of your computer, and suddenly a trojan you didn't know exist will open up a whole new world to you, one that occupies the very one you exist within. It's of course up to you wether you take a spirally path down a rabbit hole, or continue a mundane existance and meet pre-destined demise.

The Thirteenth Floor (1999?)
    This is what your waiting for, A computer company to get their ascii into gear and churn out the best fully Virtual environment ever created, of course the systems in Alpha... that's what usually happens when the company Tycoon happens to get hooked to his 1930's virtual representation of the city.
    All the Mundanes that roam the virtual world live real lives (As far as they can tell) and on occasion the Tycoon "Avatars" one of the characters to enjoy his creation, this is all very well until one day the Tycoon winds up dead and his best programmer can't remember what happened the night before.

Frequency (1999)
    Something happens in a mans life he can't forget, he loses his father a firefighter. Later in life he is toying around with some old family airlooms and finds a HAM radio system his father use to use. He tests it out and begins speaking to someone with a call sign, but the someone he is speaking to is very familiar to him without him realising... It is his father in the past... Can he change what happened to gain a father in his life?

Ghost in the Shell (1997/8?)
    One of the biggest Manga films ever made. It's the Future and the internet has moved onto higher bandwidth (like we all dream about) Cybernetics is in the highest state of development where androids are being produced as crimefighters. Implants are available at all your Black market outlets. The problem is no matter how good the security agencies (section 6 and section 9) the world is still plagued with terrorism, one such terrorist is the Puppet master, a Hacker capable of penetrating the human mind and turning people into puppets that do his bidding.
    Can he be stopped?

Johnny Mneumonic (????)
    Johnny... oh he's just a curiour, that's it.. just delivers things from person to person, funny thing is he doesn't carry a case or a box, he carries the delivery in his head. Uploaded through his cranial jack he has a decent enough capacity, the problem is his clientel... Somebody should of told him when he started messing with the Zaibutsu's (large companies) they tend to hire the Yakuza. Johnny's got a problem, the data he's got the Yakuza wants, other than that he's brains awaiting some form of cranial meltdown because someone jacked up his upload beyond his capacity... Johnny is in a sheet load of trouble... is he going to make it through the day alive? will he be granted room service?

I've seen many other films but the titles tend to merge after awhile.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2001
  21. Benji Registered Senior Member

Agreed, $200million worth or utter drab crap with poor acting poor story line and poor directing, i really hated the way mass media peddeled this as the best thing since sliced bread and it stunk worse then a over cooked scotch egg.

22. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

Re: DVD it is!

(pedantic mode): the nasty pointy teeth were on the killer rabbit of Caer Bannog ; a normal, wascally wabbit.

The giant rabbit was, of course, used against the castle of Guy de Lombard.
    (/pedantic mode)

It's a terrible thing to be able to quote every monty python film and episode. It's a worse thing to prove it. But day by day I'm getting better. I haven't said "amongst our weaponry" in ages now.

23. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

re;films

The best one i have seen in a while is Pitch Black/ i have a lot of vids and have just started DVDs the Mummy returns is quite good aswell, but pitch black is great.