favourite invertebrate

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by spuriousmonkey, Mar 19, 2003.

1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Thats absolutely amazing.
    I'd love to see one in action, I can't imagine what it would be like to watch that thing hunt.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

imagine being a sperm whale and having to hunt these nasty giant squids...seems spooky to me...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I was thinking the exact same thing, thats one predator-prey interaction that I really hope gets filmed somehow before I die.
    A spermwhales life would be a bizarre one thats for sure, they wouldn't just have to hunt these things, they'd have to fight them, all while holding their breath and aquiring the knowledge that these squids could very well overpower and drown them at the bottom of the ocean.
    And this has been going on for millions of years, awesome.
    Makes me wish they would spend less money on space exploration and more money on earth exploration.

8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Warning! Warning! Space exploration insulted! Preparing to slap you across the face!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I stand by what I said

OR
    How about more money for both explorations and less money for aiding 3rd world countries

10. ben nevis Registered Senior Member

Whats the point in having a favourite invertebrate? Do they do tricks? Will they fetch a stick? Have they the intelligence to unzip a banana? Nah, can't see me taking an invertebrate for a walk.

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Dr Lou Natic,

I can go with that... though I would proffer cut backs on the military first!

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i'm sure an octopus can unzip a banana if there was something of interest in it...they can remove lids from jars after all. Can a dog do that?

13. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Regardless, I personally don't require an organism to "work" for me in order for me to appreciate it.

14. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

Octopus are good for food, as well as squid. Squid are more viscious, but octupi have been known to crawl onto shore (they can stay about 1/2 hour out of water) and drag people back into the ocean. Also, then can climb trees (lots of sticky arms) and fall out, rip out your throat, and drag you into the ocean. But they taste good. Squid will tear you limb from limb if you swim unarmed. :m:

15. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

There was a labratory that had a octopus tank next to a lobster one, and 'mysteriously', the lobsters started going down in numbers. So the staff put up a camera and watched over night.
    The octopus was opening the tank crawling out and eating the lobsters, then crawling back into its own cage after ereplacing both lids. :m:

16. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Octopi can only go on land for short times because they need to stay moist. By the way Octopi have very short life spans: most in the wild only live for 2 years as adults! They are a lay-eggs-then-die organism, sad really.

It would be nice to capture a giant squid aliveā€¦ though they need high pressures to live and they only come up the surface to die.

17. ben nevis Registered Senior Member

Fair enough my dog can't open a jar but can an octopus bark at the moon?

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

can your dog change colour?

19. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

well, I like most invertebrates, but I like mantis most.
    The way it acts looks cute to me...

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

What do you mean by mantis? Praying mantis?

21. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

Better than that, mine can make YOU change color!

22. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

okay, so I'm terrible in Biology

Yep, I meant the very popular praying mantis. I thought that the word mantis directly meant that creature.....

23. Konek Lazy user Registered Senior Member

Nudibranchs are my favorites... Just because they're pretty. I don't expect them to open jars or bark at the moon.