Favourite Molecular structures. Post Here

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Captain Kremmen, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

To Captain K.
    Thanks for the interesting link. I have financial interest in similar 3D structures called dendrimers. I have owned stock in Starpharma for several years and have mentioned it in prior posts. - Their ADR is SPHRY. My 10,000 shares were worth $169,711.00 at close of business Friday for about 450% gain. It is my second largest holding. They hold almost all the intellectual property in this very promising field. I think, but don't know, mainly carbon atoms are used to build the symmetric #3D dendrimers roughly as illustrated here:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Obviously they are my favorite molecules. Soon starpharma will get finished with their clinical testing and have product, vita gel, to sell. Much of the development cost was paid for by NIH and the world health organization as it can be used (without the man knowing) hours prior to sex in poor countries to stop the spread of ALL STDs. These women often have no way to avoid unprotected sex and that is costing a fortune to their country's health care systems. They have many major drug and chemical companies already participating in other developments of the versatile dendrimers. - Many different molecules can be "hung" on the outside to make selective delivery of drugs etc. Read more about them at: http://www.starpharma.com

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

@ Trippy
    All those spikes of Oxygen on the outside of the Hedgehog.
    Would they be stable or reactive do you think?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I'm going to hazard a guess and say probably stable.

Then I'm going to do some research on the matter (later though, I have to go to work now) and see if I can find more information.

But on the face of it, the synthesis is done from a Molybdate anion starting point, and it seems to me that although there are structural differences between the two, that it's roughly analgous to some of the more complex silicates, and I have, somewhere around here a heteropolycationic tungsten complex (it's name and formula escape me at this point) which I synthesized in 1995, and still appears to be stable (I'm sure I still have my lab notes around here somewhere).

It was a PITA to make though, because one of the intermediate steps had to be kept very dry (and I left some skin on a flask, grabbing glasware heated to 250 C with your bare hands = bad idea).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Another thing for you to think about when you get back.

It is quite a large structure.
    Do you think the space inside would be empty, a vacuum, or would it fill up with gas molecules from the air?

Say you injected particles into it somehow.
    Do you think they would be trapped inside?

I wonder if you could blow it up like a football.

If you could trap radioactive material inside, and then collapse the hedgehog, you could make tiny atom bombs.

@Billy T.
    I think you are right to wonder about the commercial possibilities of such a molecule. I didn't consider it from that viewpoint. The place where it is being developed must be an interesting place to work right now.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  8. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

According to Hall's paper (the one you linked to) the internal cavity is 2.5nm wide and 4nm long, and encapsulates 400 water molecules. So in theory, yeah, depending on specifics of its physico-chemical properties... I know they use Zeolites for processing radioactive waste.

9. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Here's another example of molecular encapsulation.
    Carcerands are very stable, and the guest molecule can only enter or leave at high temperatures.

Crystal structure of a nitrobenzene bound within a hemicarcerand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemicarcerand

10. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Not much, IMO as the mutual attraction called the "BONDING" between atoms rapid decreases as the bond is stretched - I.e. bonds would break.
    A definite "no" to this one.

"Nano bombs" are impossible, even with efficient "neutron reflectors" surrounding them. Less than half the neutrons could be reflected back to the "core". Almost all of the fast neutrons released by the first fission, would escape - no chain reaction = no bomb.

11. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  12. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Are you referring to the gray-haired man with the frizzy hairdo, with the tie? Geez, I hope your female chemistry teacher didn't look like him!

13. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Yes, he or she does look like my old chemistry teacher (female), now many years dead. But a man? Surely not.
    I'll have to have another look.

Added later.
    Yes, the man with the tie.
    Even worse haircut than I originally thought.

My chemistry teacher was very good. German woman.
    She was rumoured to have developed nerve gases in WWII.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  14. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

One of my favorites.

15. veggiepatch Registered Senior Member

Can't argue with AleXG...the best so far.

16. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

The Nobel prize for Chemistry this year was won by the Israeli Chemist Daniel Shechtman who discovered quasicrystals. Crystals with a real Islamic flavour.

Atomic model of an aluminum-palladium-manganese (Al-Pd-Mn) quasicrystal surface.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quasicrystal

17. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

Here is MY favorite!

18. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

More of the preceding, and less of:

Now that would be beautiful.

19. prometheus viva voce! Registered Senior Member

This has got to be up there:

20. Reiku Banned Banned

Personally, I think the Diamond Molecule is beautiful. It is three dimensional arrangement.

The lattice of Sodium ions and Chloride ions held together in the electrostatic attraction is also a beautiful configuration. It is a three dimesnional block.

21. ughaibu Registered Senior Member

Here you go:

22. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

"... About 70% of the resveratrol dose given orally as a pill is absorbed; nevertheless, oral bioavailability of resveratrol is low because it is rapidly metabolized in intestines and liver into conjugated forms: glucuronate and sulfonate.[86] Only trace amounts (below 5 ng/mL) of unchanged resveratrol could be detected in the blood after 25 mg oral dose. ..." From Wiki.

Pretty but won't make you live longer, have less cancer etc.

Most of the claims for resveratrol are not supported by science -they come from fact French drink a lot of red wine, eat many "wrong foods" yet live longer.

Red wine has little more than grape juice or even less:
    Beverage Total resveratrol (mg/L)
    Red wine (global) 1.98 - 7.13
    Red wine (Spanish) 1.92 - 12.59
    Red grape juice (Spanish) 1.14 - 8.69
    Rose wine (Spanish) 0.43 - 3.52
    Pinot noir 0.40 - 2.0
    White wine (Spanish) 0.05 - 1.80

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2011