Feedback on forum software upgrade

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by MacGyver1968, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Gustav Banned Banned

fill the entire sidebar with color and not just the profile info
    the post background bleeds into it and looks messy
    see how pf does it over here

a clear margin should be apparent

edit: had to include u /u to the link so you guys can see it

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Possibly the database has to be update for search to work correctly with posts made prior to the update.

MacGyver's thread was merged with 2 or 3 other threads on the same topic. Much as I liked MacGyver's title, something more general was necessary.

The LaTeX works fine. People in this thread are asking for more functionality, similar to how LaTeX is handled at physicsforums.com. We haven't had that up to this point. Frankly I'm grateful that LaTeX is available at all; it is enormously useful. And personally, since I'm pretty familiar with LaTeX, I don't need the extra gadgets, but not everybody is in the same boat.

That's good.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Finally - after all this time

[video=youtube;ioj1YBm6bJY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioj1YBm6bJY&feature=plcp[/video]

I don't really like the quote border that looks like a caption bubble, but I can live with it

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I'm not a big fan of that, either. Just a smooth bubble would be fine.

8. Balerion Banned Banned

After surfing for a bit, I have to say I hate it. I hate it for superficial reasons and not-so-superficial reasons. I hate the font, I hate the layout of the posts, hate that there are now signatures. The "ignored" posts now take up so much real estate it's impossible to actually ignore them.

Worst of all, this place now looks like every other forum on the net. There's no character.

9. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Where's all the old stuff gone?
    Where's my posterity?

Other than that, it's the same except everything is in different places.

Pourquoi?

10. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Well, yes.
    If you remove all the site history, it's a new site for new members.
    For existing members, the history is now in their memories.

Is this a new site now?

I regard my own sober, brilliant, intelligent posts as ephemeral.
    No loss to humanity.
    But other posts are of more value.
    Historical even.

To destroy the history of the site would be madness.
    Why doesn't somebody assure us that this will not happen.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  11. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Sorry if I am going over old ground, but has this change been discussed?
    I have not been on sciforums for a while due to holidays.

12. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

I've noticed that a little yellow bubble will appear on the lower right hand corner of the page I'm writing on and it says "auto saved" what is that feature about and how does it work? I see it only appears at a certain time during my writing why is that?

Where are all of my posts, my history? I can't seem to find them are they still available to see or are they gone?

13. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Catastrophe insurance, of a sort

Well, it is exactly what it sounds like; the auto-save function is intended to preserve your post against unexpected events. From last year:

Besides the shiny buttons and smoother overall functionality, the biggest new feature added in the initial release of the updated editor in vBulletin 4.1.4 is the ability to “Auto-Save” content. What does this mean, exactly? Content auto-save is like an emergency parachute – it automatically saves your content so that it can be restored in the event that things go very wrong.

Imagine this scenario. You’ve sat down to write a blog entry or a really long reply to a thread. Like a mad composer, you are banging away on the keyboard typing away furiously; your words and ideas are flowing freely into the editor. In an unfortunate twist of cruel fate your foot kicks the power outlet and unplugs your computer. Your computer shuts down as you begin to panic – the panic slowly transforming into agonizing rage. Well, there is good news! The new CKEditor automatically backs up your work every 30 seconds (this is adjustable). You curse the skies, successfully reboot your computer and navigate back to the page where you were writing the content, click the “Restore Auto-Save” button and magically – your masterpiece is now restored. Nothing has been lost!

This magic auto-save functionality applies to the editor in general and is available in all vBulletin sections, including CMS, Forums and Blogs.

I don't know, however, where the data is saved. If it is local to the user, it is still potentially volatile in catastrophic shutdown. If it is on the network ... well, I can't suggest the implications. Perhaps we'll get some technical insight in the near future.

Notes:

IBxAnders. "vBulletin 4.1.4 : The new all new WYSIWYG text editor powered by CKEditor". June 9, 2011. vBulletin.com. July 13, 2012. https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/ent...l-new-WYSIWYG-text-editor-powered-by-CKEditor

14. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Where is that located and does it save the entire page or only part of it?

Thank you for your reply.

15. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I rather like the new look!

16. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Uncertain

I have no idea. I would imagine it will appear when needed. But that is a guess, based on design habits of other software I've used.

Furthermore, as I do not know, I would guess it preserves all of the text entered in the reply box as of the last auto-save.

17. Gustav Banned Banned

the auto save stores versions on sci's server
    storing locally would require vbulletin to offer up its own web browser

the "Reply" and "Reply With Quote" jumps out at you
    put it back in a box and grey the font out a bit

coloring the sidebar to make it distinct from the post area is a must
    grey rather than blue is preferable

at the bottom.......Bookmarks cannot be collapsed while Posting Permissions can . the area below quick reply is massive. get rid of it if possible

the quote box looks like a cartoon bubble

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  18. Balerion Banned Banned

Yeah, what happened to the old posts?

19. Gustav Banned Banned

we have been lobotomized

---------------------------

sciforums corners on rails now tho
    good job guys

20. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

The old posts look to be still there, only one cannot locate them by means of searching from your profile page or avatar. One may be able to use the search feature for a key word but this will be problematical for those who may want to cross reference their earlier material when posting. Same thing happened at another forum when they upgraded some time ago. Perhaps the moderators or technical people have other information for you.

21. Emil Valued Senior Member

Me don't like it! :bawl:

22. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

Do they? (link)

23. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Somebody should make a pool with:
    -like it
    -hate it
    -indifferent
    options. Personally I was happy with the old one and will take a while to get used to it. I don't really see the advantage of having the new design...