Feeling colors

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by On Radioactive Waves, Dec 3, 2002.

1. On Radioactive Waves lost in the continuum Registered Senior Member

I have read reports that a small percentage of the population can actually "feel" colors.

All people can feel infared ( normally) , and are also sensitive to UV. This question arose to me when noticed I could feel a high energy radiation when I touched my blacklight.

My theory is: that everyone has the ability to distinguish colors by feeling, however most peoples perception is clouded by a more overwhelming perception of temperature.

Even in total darkness objects still emit blackbody radiation, right? would the color of the object affect this?

Anyone capable of feeling colors?

edit: damn my spelling sucks!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2002
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. daphneeee Registered Senior Member

You have to use drugs in order to "feel" colours!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. On Radioactive Waves lost in the continuum Registered Senior Member

not true!!!! although certainly could be enhanced through use of psychadelics...

in fact dosn't the term psychadelic actually mean "to enhance perception"?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

Radioactive,
    are you serious? :bugeye:

8. On Radioactive Waves lost in the continuum Registered Senior Member

9. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

I recall reading in my psych textbook about people who can see sound, because they sort of have wires crossed in their brains. Well, they don't see the sound, but with auditory input they see flashes of colour and such.

10. On Radioactive Waves lost in the continuum Registered Senior Member

adam: this is a common occurence when an excess od neurotransmitters are present in the brain. like seratonin.

acid trips are often described as mixed senses due to this, like smelling sound or the like.

I've seen sound before.

11. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

I have heard something like that as welll. And it is very well possible. And other interferences between sensory modalities are also possible. (hearing/smelling is another, relatively, well known)

However, that would be a artifact of "abnormal" central processing, not of sensors picking up information, as originally suggested by Radioactive.
    I can not take the idea very serious.

12. On Radioactive Waves lost in the continuum Registered Senior Member

merlin:

right. I'm talking pure sober everyday situation. I havn't seen anything about this recently(didn't look either) and I dont even recall where I read it... but I think it was a scientific magazine. Most of my reading is geared in that direction so thats almost a safe assumption about many things I've read.

13. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

It's called "Synesthesia" or something around there anyway. Feeling color, smelling music, tasting light...it's a crossing of the sense. Some people naturally do this. A small percent i believe. I think drugs such as LSD, peyote, psilocybe mushrooms, salvia divinorum, maybe DMT, create synesthesia in the user. Only temporary of course.

That's gotta feel so weird though. The mixing of the sense, that is..hmm

14. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

I believe that a lot of great musicians / painters have crosswiring, so they can put tap in reserves we normally can't

I had my fair share of synaesthesia some time I took shrooms and we were in this coffeeshop. I accidentely looked at a yellow wall. The Whole room went gold and yellow and it hit me like a fist in the stomach. If that wasn't enough some nervous triphop was playing , making me feel I was about to go insane and drown in a pool of yellow........I had to run outside and git my shit in gear.

15. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

If we for instance look at the senses of sharks than we humans are pretty limited, although I believe that some humans (most notably aborinals etc) must have genetically enhanced senses. Not that them will help to survive the impact of western culture

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Senses
    A. Acoustic senses

1. Hearing.

a. Sharks have only an inner ear, which consists of three chambers and an ear stone called an otolith. A shark's inner ear detects sound, acceleration, and gravity.

b. Sharks use sound to locate food.

(1) Sound is often the first sense a shark relies on to detect prey.

(2) Under water, sound travels faster and farther than on land.

(3) Sharks are attracted to low-frequency pulsed sounds, similar to those wounded or ill prey would emit. Most attractive sounds are in the frequency of 25 to 100 Hz. Some sharks are attracted to sound sources from distances as great as 250 m (820 ft.).

2. Lateral line.

a. The lateral line system is a series of fluid-filled canals just below the skin of the head and along the sides of the body. The canal is open to the surrounding water through tiny pores.

b. The lateral line canals contain a number of sensory cells called neuromasts. Tiny hairlike structures on the neuromasts project out into the canal. Water movement created by turbulence, currents, or vibrations displaces these hairlike projections and stimulates the neuromasts. This stimulation triggers a nerve impulse to the brain.

c. Like the ear, the lateral line senses low-frequency vibrations. It functions mainly in distance perception and detecting low-frequency vibrations and directional water flow.

The lateral line system is a series of fluid-filled canals. It senses low-frequency vibrations.

B. Eyesight

1. Sharks have a basic vertebrate eye, but it is laterally compressed. The lens is large and spherical.

2. Although the threshold of a shark's visual acuity has not been demonstrated, it is apparent that they are well-suited for seeing in dim light. Their eyes are particularly sensitive to moving objects.

a. Sharks have a large proportion of rods, which are highly sensitive to changes in light intensity, making sharks sensitive to contrasts of light and shadow.

b. The eye has a layer of reflecting plates called the tapetum lucidum behind the retina. These plates act as mirrors to reflect light back through the retina a second time. The tapetum lucidum of a shark is twice as effective as that of a cat.

3. Unlike those of other fishes, a shark's pupil can dilate and contract.

4. Cone cells are present, indicating that sharks may have some sort of color vision.

5. In clear water, a shark's vision is effective at a distance up to about 15 m (50 ft.).

C. Taste

Sharks and batoids have taste buds inside their mouths. These taste buds have not been studied extensively. Taste may be responsible for a shark's final acceptance or rejection of prey items.

D. Smell

1. Paired external nostrils with an incurrent and an excurrent opening lead to ventral olfactory organs (organs which function in smelling). Olfactory organs are blind sacs which are not connected with the mouth.

2. Sharks have an acute sense of smell. They are well-known for their ability to detect minute quantities of substances such as blood in water. Sharks can detect a concentration as low as one part per billion of some chemicals, such as certain amino acids. A shark's sense of smell functions up to hundreds of meters away from the source.

E. Ampullae of Lorenzini

1 . The ampullae of Lorenzini form a complex and extensive sensory system around a shark's head.

2. External pores cover the surface of a shark's head. Each pore leads to a jelly-filled canal that leads to a membranous sac called an ampulla. In the wall of the ampulla are sensory cells innervated by several nerve fibers.

3. The ampullae detect weak electrical fields at short ranges. All living animals produce electric fields.

4. Ampullae of Lorenzini are effective only within inches, as they sense bioelectrical fields in the final stages of prey capture.

5. Mainly considered electroreceptors, it is possible that the ampullae of Lorenzini may also detect temperature, salinity, changes in water pressure, mechanical stimuli, and magnetic fields.

External pores on the surface of a shark's head lead to membranous sacs connected to nerve fibers. Called the ampullae of Lorenzini, these organs detect weak electrical fields at close range.

F. Sensory pits

1 . A sensory pit is formed by the overlapping of two enlarged placoid scales guarding a slight depression in the skin. At the bottom of the pit is a sensory papilla: a small cluster of sensory cells that resembles a taste bud.

2. Sensory pits are distributed in large numbers on the back, flank, and lower jaw.

3. The precise function of sensory pits has not been determined. They are most likely sense organs that are stimulated by physical factors such as water current.

16. xandrique moniqueface Registered Senior Member

I see sound and hear light (and not just hearing buzzing like from those neon lights or whatever... but let's say a light outside my house goes off, I hear it... ??? I also hear when I drive by trees and there are gaps of shade and light, things like that).

17. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

18. On Radioactive Waves lost in the continuum Registered Senior Member

were all on DMT
    hasn't stopped people from finding some pretty amazing stuff inside their stomaches

I beleive several years ago an electric shark repellent was developed

big nose also runs in my family, I think I also have the ability, as I have a prettygood sense of direction. I've also notice a strange sensation when wearing a silver chain, and i pull it over my nose. Also, I have experimented with magnets on my nose, although I'm not quite sure if I felt somthing different or I did because I expected to, since I performed the experiments on myself.

19. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

DMT

No - i believe (not sure, might be wrong) that tryptamine is naturally found in the brain, but chemicals that are variations on tryptamine (DMT, DPT, 5-MeO-DiPT..) are not.

Maybe i should search around and find a reference to what tryptamines are in the brain and which are not.

20. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

ooh found something.

http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/faqs/faqs_tryptamine.shtml

Giant reference to tryptamine effects and where they're found.

an exerpt:
    Many animals, including mammals, contain psychoactive tryptamines. Below are two examples.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Family: Hominidae
    Genus: Homo
    Species: sapiens
    Small amounts of DMT and 5-MeO-DMT can be found in the cerebrospinal fluid of psychiatrically normal humans, schizophrenics and manics

21. On Radioactive Waves lost in the continuum Registered Senior Member

yes, I've read that humans on average have about 6mg of DMT present in the brain at any given time

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. number7 Registered Member

Hiya!

Hi I'm new to this forum.. I hope u r all we11 I read a book on this subject once called 'The man who tasted shapes' I cant remember who wrote it, but he was a psychiatrist or something

23. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

the term is synesthesia. It actually varies in its effests. For some people sounds are accompanied by flashes of color. For others tastes evokes a geometric shape in their mind. For some numbers seem to have their own personalities.

Everyone has at least some minor version of this, though few realize it. How some get weird "vibes" in some places is a very minor vesion of this.

It is due to a random factor in the arrangement of neurons.