Female Genital Mutilation: An Islamic Practice

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Grantywanty, Jun 14, 2007.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

A woman with a family has the right to demand that she be taken care of. Her property is her own, but her husbands belongs to her and her children for the duration of their marriage (and her children have rights till the age of maturity, beyond which they have shares in their father's, but not their mothers property). I think this is to enable the women to choose if they wish to work or not. Most of the rich women in Saudi Arabia who are educated also work.

I think we've already been through the scriptures about feeding and clothing wives.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Well gee, S.A.M., what can I say? You've convinced me so far. Islam really does seem like it's fair to women.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Too bad it doesn't translate into practise as easily; I think its too advanced for the Neanderthals who claim to practise it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

The problem is lack of knowledge of Islam, and this is an easily alleviated problem thanks to the devoted works of the great scholars of our time. There is no excuse except ignorance.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Can you tell me about some of the good scholars today?

9. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

Many of intelligent scholars I am familiar in my country come from Dar ul Uloom, Jamat e Islami, and Quran Academy.

Knowledge is necessary in our world to fix the many problems which effect our community.

10. hmmm, with that many qualifications, I guess, you have been thoroughly brain-washed, that explains every thing ;-)

11. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Followers of Islam do allow women to hold positions of power, Look at the past Presidents of Indonesia and Bangladesh If they can do it, no reason that other countries can't.

12. yes, many countries have; Israel, India, Philippines, UK, US might follow soon

but that is not the point, elites &/or extraordinary people always climb to the top

the point is; why would a culture inflict such a barbaric practice on such a small child, that will affect them as adults? to me, its calculated attempt to stifle a women's sexual pleasure, before she can do anything about it, before she knows what missing & possible to confer, combine & intertwine extreme pain & sex so much, that women will not want to do it, except as a duty for their husbands

13. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

WildBlue, the organizations are religious, what else do you expect their views to be other an in line with Islam?

14. hey, it just goes to show were you're coming from, so you have motive, opportunity, to defend, spread islam, its just that not everyone will agree with you, not because we are kaffir, but because islam was studied & found wanting

welcome to the 21st century

15. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

I don't care if you or anyone else converts to Islam, it's not my business.

What you do with your life is your business, just don't spread false notions of my religion and expect me to stay silent.

16. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Egypt moves to ban mutilation

THE Egyptian Government yesterday announced plans to ban all female circumcision, the widely practised removal of the clitoris, which just days ago cost the life of a 12-year-old girl. Officially the practice, which affects both Muslim and Christian women in Egypt and goes back to the time of the pharaohs, was banned in 1997 but doctors were allowed to operate "in exceptional cases". Health Minister Hatem al-Gabali had decided to ban every doctor and member of the medical profession, in public or private establishments, from carrying out a clitoridectomy, a ministry press official told AFP.

Any circumcision "will be viewed as a violation of the law and all contraventions will be punished", the official said. The ban would be permanent. The ban must still be translated into law and could face a tough debate in parliament, but is likely to be passed. A government survey in 2000 said the practice was carried out on 97 per cent of the country's women aged between 15 and 45 years of age.

In the latest fatality, 12-year-old Bedur Ahmed Shaker was taken by her mother to a private clinic in Minya, a town on the Nile south of Cairo, for the operation. She died before she could be transferred to hospital. Her mother accused the female doctor of negligence, charging that her daughter's death was linked to the anaesthetic and not the removal of the clitoris, for which she had paid 50 Egyptian pounds ($10). Police have arrested both women.

Sarah Leah Whitson of US-based rights group Human Rights Watch welcomed the decision but remained cautious. "We welcome the ban on female genital mutilation but the key issue is if there is going to be an implementation," she said. After the 1997 ban many women simply went to underground clinics for the operation. Suzanne Mubarak, the wife of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, has been an active campaigner against the procedure. Yesterday she called it "one of the most feared attacks against women" and said the battle to stop it must be a "national priority".

Powerful religious leaders, usually silent on taboos relating to female sexuality, have also started to speak out against the practice, which many Egyptians believe is a duty under Islam and Christianity. After the death of Bedur, chief mufti Ali Gomaa declared female circumcision forbidden under Islam. Mohammed Sayyed Tantaoui, the sheik of al-Azhar University which is the top Sunni Muslim authority, and Coptic Patriarch Chenouda III also declared that the practice had "no foundation in the religious texts" of either Islam or Christianity.

An education campaign launched in 2003, involving television advertisements, leaflets and visits to remote villages by health workers, "was positive but lacked a legal framework," said a health ministry official. According to the World Health Organisation, between 100 million and 140million women around the world suffer genital mutilation, with two million girls circumcised every year. Female circumcision can cause death through haemorrhaging and later complications during childbirth. It also carries risks of infection, urinary tract problems and mental trauma.

It is practised widely in Africa but was banned earlier this year in Eritrea. The UN describes female genital mutilation as a practice with many adverse physical and psychological effects and with no demonstrated medical benefits.

17. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

It's interesting to see that nationalism will accomplish something in a few years that Xianity nor Islam could do in nearly 2000.

Sort of says something to me,
    Michael

18. Fugu-dono Scholar Of Shen Zhou Registered Senior Member

^Nice to see something done.

19. Young, black, Swedish – the minister for controversy

just another day at the office, see what I found

20. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

I've already mentioned the dean of Al Azhar confirming this is forbidden (recent: 2005), Islamic scholars have always been opposed to this practice. Please look at my previous posts on this thread for more information.

21. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Well my God DH it took what only 1400 years?!?!?!

THAT is very odd? Unless it's in response to a Europeanization of middle eastern/Egyptian values and hence Islamic and Xian interpretation of their respective holy books.

I can not see any other explanation it would take till 2005 for someone to say "Hey you know, cutting the clitoris off a female and completely ruining her sex life for ever is maybe a tad bit evil? What does this say?

22. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

I wonder if this action is forbidden in Coptic Christianity, as it is in Islam, because their religion originates from Egypt.

I would also be interested to know the beliefs of native northeastern African religions and the Ethiopian Christians regarding this.

23. those are good questions, lets find out