Female Genital Mutilation: An Islamic Practice

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Grantywanty, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

This may have been mentioned somewhere in this 12 page thread, but I'm just too damn lazy to read it all.

I understand they are stitched up after everything is removed and an opening is left for peeing/menstruating.
    How the hell do they give birth??

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Painfully.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Technically, the urethra is left untouched for normal urination. The clitoris is the only part that is removed so the child won't experience sexual pleasure. The introitus and vagina are not altered. Childbirth procedes naturally.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

http://www.fgmnetwork.org/articles/Waris.html

...The next thing I felt was my flesh being cut away. I heard the blade sawing back and forth through my skin. The feeling was indescribable. I didn't move, telling myself the more I did, the longer the torture would take. Unfortunately, my legs began to quiver and shake uncontrollably of their own accord, and I prayed, Please, God, let it be over quickly. Soon it was, because I passed out.

When I woke up, my blindfold was off and I saw the gypsy woman had piled a stack of thorns from an acacia tree next to her. She used these to puncture holes in my skin, then poked a strong white thread through the holes to sew me up. My legs were completely numb, but the pain between them was so intense that I wished I would die.

My memory ends at that instant, until I opened my eyes and the woman was gone. My legs had been tied together with strips of cloth binding me from my ankles to my hips so I couldn't move. I turned my head toward the rock; it was drenched with blood as if an animal had been slaughtered there. Pieces of my flesh lay on top, drying in the sun.

Waves of heat beat down on my face, until my mother and older sister, Aman, dragged me into the shade of a bush while they finished making a shelter for me. This was the tradition; a little hut was prepared under a tree, where I would rest and recuperate alone for the next few weeks.

After hours of waiting, I was dying to relieve myself. I called my sister, who rolled me over on my side and scooped out a little hole in the sand. "Go ahead," she said.

The first drop stung as if my skin were being eaten by acid. After the gypsy sewed me up, the only opening left for urine-and later for menstrual blood-was a minuscule hole the diameter of a matchstick....

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

That's kinda' odd, ain't it? I always thought that was two separate holes ...one for urine, the other fun! ...okay, and to eliminate menstrual blood, etc.

Have I been wrong all these years?

Baron Max

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They stitch the labia together.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't know whether to laugh at you or feel sympathy for the women in your life. :shrug:
    I'll do both!! :xctd: and :bawl: