Fertilized egg gives off sparks!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by wellwisher, Apr 28, 2016.

1. wellwisher Banned Banned

I am starting this topic in politics, even though it could also be started in biology. I am not allowed to post in biology, because the current bio-theory is fragile, and some seem to fear, I will break it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/sperm-egg-zinc-sparks-1.3553550

The above link is about a group of scientists who have observed sparks, when a sperm fertilizes a human ovum. Is this spark the spark of life, thereby letting science settle the debate, when life begins?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

You're not allowed to post in biology because you're an ignorant pseudoscience crackpot.

You won't break it, if you actually had anything of substance that could overturn the current paradigm, you'd be the next Darwin, Mendel, Jenner, etc. and win loads of Nobel prizes and go down in the history books.

That's what the anti-science trolls like you will never understand, science thrives on being proven wrong. That's how science advances and how we learn more about the world and how reality works. But you just hide behind your strawman of ignorance.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

No. 'Spark of life' is a metaphor. We don't make such rulings on metaphors.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Well said, but it applies to a large number on this forum.

9. gmilam Valued Senior Member

10. Bells Staff Member

From your link:

The scientists were unable to fertilize eggs with sperm for this study due to legal issues surrounding research with human embryos. Instead, they injected the eggs with a sperm enzyme, triggering the egg activation process and causing the increase in calcium and release of zinc.

Zinc sparks had previously been seen in animal studies, but the discovery that they also occur in humans could have significant ramifications for assisted reproduction technology. This is because the animal studies, where the eggs could actually be fertilized, have shown that the size of the zinc sparks is a direct reflection of the egg's quality and ability to grow into a viable embryo.

[Empahsis mine]​

The eggs were not being fertilised. They were triggering the spark using a sperm enzyme. The same thing has also been observed in the eggs of various animals upon fertilisation. They wanted to see if they could trigger it with a human ovum.

So no, it isn't a 'spark of life'.

And thread moved to a more appropriate sub-forum. Since you are not allowed to post in the Biology sub-forum due to your, well, unscientific manner of posting, I'll just move this one to free thoughts.