Film/Movie Recommendations

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Omega133, Aug 13, 2010.

1. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Saw that one on the mess deck. There were lots of helpful suggestions as to how Weaver should handle the trucker, none of which will be posted here.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Not a bad film, that. Bit bleak for my tastes, though.

At the other end of the bleak spectrum, though... I just got round to watching "Thor: Ragnarok" - amazing what some good actors, some green screen, and a bunch of CGI wizards can come up with!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Plus the soundtrack was surprisingly different for a Marvel film, it seemed. Hearing Led Zeppelin and watching as Thor wades into the battle... worth the price of the film in just that segment.

akoreamerican and Gawdzilla Sama like this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

This was an amazing film.

8. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Duel was Steven Spielberg's 1st full length film directing job. It was written by Richard Matheson & based on his short story.

The film received many positive reviews and is often considered one of the greatest TV movies ever made. On the review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, Duel currently has a score of 88% based on 41 reviews, with an average rating of 7.8 out of 10. Television critic Matt Zoller Seitz in his 2016 book co-written with Alan Sepinwall titled TV (The Book) named Duel as the greatest American TV-movie of all time, stating that "Almost fifty years after its initial broadcast, this stripped-down, subtly mythic action thriller retains a good deal of its power".
    Interpretations of Duel often focus on the symbolism of Mann and the truck. Some critics follow Spielberg's own interpretation of the story as an indictment against the mechanization of life, both by literal machines and by social regimentation. The theme of gender performativity in Mann's quest to prove his manhood is another interpretation several observers have noted. The film has been placed at #66 on The 100 Scariest Movie Moments on Bravo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duel_(1971_film)

It is 1 of the very few movies I call near perfect.

<>

9. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I had seen it at least a couple of times... an what i saw was a psycho-nut in a horror-show of a truck who was after Denis weaver;;; Denis made serous mistakes along the way... an in the end i thank that most woud thank that Denis got what he deserved

10. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    The vast majority of people would make serious mistakes in that situation. Many would handle it much worse than he did.
    If he quickly found a way out, it would be a short movie with little suspense & character study.
    It is a story of an ordinary person, not a superhero, in an extraordinary situation.
    I do not see why anyone being attacked like that deserves what they get.

<>

11. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Personaly... i thank Denis deserved the way the movie ended... an the way he responded at the end i thank he agrees wit me

12. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    I think I misunderstood your last phrase.

<>

13. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Heres anuther vehicle i woudnt want behind me.!!!

14. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

15. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

One that I'm watching again: "Defiance", 2008. Liv Ullmann and Daniel Craig.

This time, without subtitles. I find myself understanding simple Russian through the tears, but not Hebrew. That's a tough nut to crack...

16. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Good film, Defiance. Seen it a few times. One of Craig's better films, I think.

Recently saw "Shin Godzilla" - One of the most recent Godzilla films from Japan. It's definitely a B-movie, and the special effects, especially of the monster itself, are often cringeworthy, yet other times surprisingly effective. The story is told in a novel way for me... no real protagonist, just an almost matter-of-fact insight into the decision-making by the Japanese government when a vast beast causes mass destruction.
    Interesting film. Good Godzilla story. Not one I would particularly recommend, though, unless you like foreign films, can handle films on a small budget, and like monster films. Don't expect anything like a Hollywood film. But if you liked the 50's/60's Godzilla films from Japan then consider this a modern version but in the same cheap style.

And at the other end: I recently saw "Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets"
    Fairly typical Luc Besson in being bright colours, not taking itself too seriously, fairly outlandish sci-fi stylings, and a pulp comic-book story.
    Surprisingly good fun. Just thought it might have been better with better lead actor/actress. Cara delevingne is eye-candy for sure, but I felt the rest of the film needed something a bit more than that and the lead actor (Dane Dehaan).
    If you enjoyed "The Fifth Element" then it is definitely worth a watch.

17. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I can say: "The Spy Who Dumped Me" turned out much better than I thought. Comedy, action, but what was the best was unpredictability.

"Upgrade" was a good movie. Action, you can see a relation to other movies, but with a twist.

Both movies at the beginning were boring cliche. And then things got much much better.

18. akoreamerican Registered Senior Member

I have thoroughly enjoyed Star Wars The Last Jedi, despite its flaws and the zealous critics. To those who hate this film I say you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

19. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Suddenly (1954) - Sterling Hayden, Frank Sinatra

Detour (1945)

20. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yeah. Always thought Star Wars fans'd be the positive type. Too much hatin' goin' on.
    You'd think they'd like to see their baby grow and evolve, rather than be preserved, like a dead flower in formaldehyde and Dihydrogen Monoxide.

akoreamerican likes this.
  21. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

22. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///

23. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///