Film/Movie Recommendations

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Omega133, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

A friend lent a flash drive with movies on it. One title looked very weird. I Watched it and it was a bit of a moving drama...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I keep reading the topic title as "Film Noir Recommendations" but most of you youngsters probably don't even know what film noir is.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

When asked what their favorite movie is, young people will name one that they saw last week. I always say that my favorite color movie is Conan the Barbarian (1982).

As for film noir, The Maltese Falcon (1941).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I was rather disappointed when I asked my nephew - a film student - what his picks for best 5 films of all time were. They were all less than 15 years old.
    He said 'I don't count the "classics"'.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

I'd plump for "Double Indemnity" (1944) myself.

8. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

No argument there. My list would go on and on.

9. LiteFeather09 Registered Member

I love the whole Marvel installment so I will recommend for you to watch it.

10. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Recently watched ''A Vigilante,'' starring Olivia Wilde. Overall, I'd give it a 7.5/10. The story is about a woman who comes from an abusive marriage, fleeing her husband to become a vigilante of sorts, helping women and children who are victims of domestic abuse. Very well acted, the story touches upon the realities of emotional, mental and physical domestic abuse, highlighting the main character's marriage to a gaslighting narcissist. I dated an abusive guy, and the film does a masterful job of showing how easy it is to become lost in secrets, because you don't want anyone to know what you're going through.

I didn't love it, though. It lacked depth in terms of fleshing out the main character, and other minor story arcs a bit more. It felt rushed. The ending was a relatively happy one, but a bit predictable.

11. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I watched recently “I Am Mother,” and I didn’t hate it, but didn’t like it, either. I’m still thinking about it, and feel that it had more potential. The performances seemed forced and not natural. “Mother,” is probably my favorite “character.”

13. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Here’s my recommendation: anything other than the most recent Robin Hood disaster.
    What was Jamie Foxx thinking! The story is... ludicrous. The characters... firmly rooted in the “paint by numbers” category. The acting is... I suppose adequate given the pig’s ear they were given to work with. But it just seems to have been written by a teenager with no sense of realism, no sense of development. The most dumbed down film I’ve seen for a very long time.
    Not surprisingly, it was panned by critics and audience alike, and a box-office failure. Avoid at all costs, or you’ll miss out on 2 hours that could be better spent watching the grass grow.
    That’s my recommendation!

As for films worth watching...
    Venom” is quite good. Well acted by Tom Hardy. Didn’t know much about the antihero, but pretty good. Suitably different enough from the rest of the Marvel CU... and not an Iron Man in sight (thank goodness!).

And unsurprisingly, “Ready Player One” is great fun. It doesn’t quite have that Spielberg magic that sets his films apart, in that if I hadn’t known it was Spielberg I wouldn’t have guessed. Maybe ‘cos much of the fun in the film is the pop-culture references from when I was growing up rather than relying solely on the plot and the actual story-telling. But a good fun film for the family for sure.

14. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

"Venom and Deadpool", a movie screaming to be made.

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

An oldie [1962] but a goodie...Incredible true touching tale about Hellen Keller and her teacher Ann Sullivan, starring Pattie Duke and Ann Bancroft. A true story and as close to reality and facts as has been any supposed true story told on the screen
    The Miracle Worker:
    Keep a box of tissues by your side.

16. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

they used The Pixies song in their movie
    i hope they paid for it and didn't steal it

looks potentially quite good
    not just another nazi zombie movie
    unles the short was all the action and all the rest is sitting on a front porch having flash backs to head shot close ups talking romance
    eeewwww
    or never ending face close ups of people saying "NOah My GOD its HUGE" like a pathetic american teenage suspense thriller trying to play both sides of the no action teenage vampire 14 year old girl audience movie genre.
    thats worse

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  17. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

notice when an actor who is new is forcing it with a A lister and pushes the tempo of the script out of timing
    i hate that
    makes me want to walk up to the director and slap them in the face and scream NO

wegs likes this.
  18. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

19. river

Movie

Tomorrowland ( 2015 ). Look it up .

Then view it . I Highly Recommnend this Movie . Seriously , watch the movie .

20. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Currently intrigued by The Outsider, a series based on the book by Stephen King. I’m on episode 4, and find myself covering my eyes with a pillow...ya know, just in case a scary demon breaks through my smart tv. lol

It’s about a gruesome murder (very gory, typical King style) of an eleven year old boy in a small community, and the key suspect is a guy who heads up a little league baseball team. But something else lurks beneath the surface and it’s quite creepy!

A good time of year to catch it on HBO.

21. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

A movie that I'd not recommend is Underwater. Seriously, it's a painfully sluggish film with absolutely no semblance of a plot, and really turns out to be an utter sci-fi misfire. It's about a research crew that finds itself in peril, trapped in its deep sea base vessel, miles under the ocean. As the movie plods on (some occasional jump scares and special effects) a chilling question comes to light - what might it be like to be trapped underwater say in a submarine, and something really catastrophic happened?

This film had potential but I think it lacked depth (no pun) in that the characters were so lifeless, you simply take no interest in them. You felt nothing when a few of them died, and no sense of victory when some of them triumphed. I get that it wasn't meant to be cerebral, but the script was so lacking, you really don't know what they're doing there. The disaster that awaits them...could it be punishment for drilling into the planet? Hard to say, you're left guessing, and that's not even fun.

I can't get that 90 minutes back, but hopefully my review saves you from wasting your time.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  22. river

Its sounds like the movie was cerebral . Not all movies has to emotional . Nor charactor based . Just reactions .

23. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Nah, not really. It was like watching a video game lol