Finding Salvation

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Pipes75, Dec 28, 2009.

1. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

How woud you "see" an adult who beleived that Santa brout them presents for Chrismus.???

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Indeed.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I certainly need a very good reason to love and respect everyone without knowing them.

All I can think of is that you and I have very different things in mind when we use the word "love".
    And respect for that matter. Respect is earned.

Since these are your own definitions, based on your own viewpoint, I'm not going to comment.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

My objection to the Abrahamic religions is that they reinforce our species' atavistic tribal instinct and work against world peace. Despite all protestations to the contrary, each sect of Judaism, Christianity and Islam carries a strong overtone that since it is the only correct way to worship its god, its members are superior to the members of all other sects. Furthermore, in the case of Christianity and Islam but not Judaism, it is the duty of each member to perform the valuable public service of convincing the members of all other religions, and indeed often all other sects of the same religion, that they are wrong and will remain inferior until they see the light.

This is annoying but forgivable, except it gets worse. Every few generations entire communities of Abrahamists rise up in paroxysms of violence, killing members of other religions, and even members of other Abrahamic sects. The last one, when the Christians of Europe tried to exterminate the Jews, was so recent that it was still going on when I was born. Yet we appear to be on the threshold of the next one, with the Christians and Jews united on one side and the Muslims on the other.

Civilization has arisen independently only six times on this planet, and the armies of Abraham have destroyed three of them, in the name of their god and with the blessing of their religous leaders: Egypt, Inca, and Olmec/Maya/Aztec.

It is very difficult to respect people who subscribe to such an evil philosophy.

I do not automatically include all religions in this criticism. But Christians and Muslims together comprise a majority of the world's population and that's bad enough.

8. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

not really, no. you don't know any self-destructive people huh?

9. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

What defines a self destructive person?

10. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

someone who doesn't act in their own best interest.

11. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i really don't see how santa bringing presents relates to a universal intelligence or the existence of a spiritual realm.

BUT your response is demonstrative of what imo is the answer to the question...

egotism.

12. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Originally Posted by cluelusshusbund
    How woud you "see" an adult who beleived that Santa brout them presents for Chrismus.???

They both are nuthin mor than un-evidenced beleifs.!!!

An you didnt answr the queston... how woud you look upon an adult who beleives that Santa brangs them presents at Chrismus time.???

13. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i think i would have to wonder who was bringing them presents.

14. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Yes really. But not for the reason you think.

And no, I've never known any intentionally self-destructive person.

15. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Origionaly posted by cluelusshusbund
    ...how woud you look upon an adult who beleives that Santa brangs them presents at Chrismus time.???

Yeah... an i bet you'd be perty sure it wasnt Santa Clause.!!!

So how do you see "egotism" as an answr to my queston.???

16. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

because you think you're right, you see fit to equate a belief in god or some other universal intelligence to santa claus.

my belief in god is not unfounded, and my relationship with him has been a lot more involved than receiving gifts.

17. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i have. it was me.

18. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

And because you think you're right you consider there to be no connection.

Just as the belief in Santa Clause wouldn't be?

19. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

And how was it that you were saved from yourself?

20. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

with the kind of love that is not of this world.

21. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i see how someone who has no evidence might make that connection, if they were egotistical. but hey, when you catch the fat guy coming down your chimney...
    :shrug:

22. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

No you see, it's YOUR ego that's in the way.
    You don't have evidence you have subjective experience that YOU choose to interpret in one particular manner. EXACTLY as the guy who believes in Santa Claus does.

23. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

well you know, when you see the fat guy in the red suit somehow impossibly wiggle his way down your chimney, and he know's exactly what you want, and you pull his big white beard, and see him fly away in a sleigh...how subjective is that really?